Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1566 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Working with COPPA

Thread title: Working with COPPA
Closed Thread    
12-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old  Working with COPPA

A new online venture of mine requires date of birth on registration. I want to you know your thoughts on working with COPPA. The terms don't seem too hard to meet, but some of it looks like it could get messy, and complicated. For example, you need consent from a parent if the child is under 13. This would mean the child entering the parents email, then an email being dispatched to them where they must verify. (We're talking extra coding). However, the dilemma is that the 11-13 year old is a valuable audience for this type of site. I notice MySpace doesn't accept <13...

I can't decide whether it is worth the hassle or not. Anyone have experience with running COPPA-friendly sites?

12-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

The only site I know of that would have relevant experience would be neopets. After doing some digging it appears they require the parent to send a letter in consenting.

12-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
The only site I know of that would have relevant experience would be neopets. After doing some digging it appears they require the parent to send a letter in consenting.
Quite a long, lengthy process if you ask me. I don't particularly want to be having to manage a site offline (in that sense). I think an email to the parent should suffice, which would certainly be quicker, but again, it does make me wonder whether perhaps I should just not let anyone under 13 to register.

12-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Tom is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Tom

Old

Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Quite a long, lengthy process if you ask me. I don't particularly want to be having to manage a site offline (in that sense). I think an email to the parent should suffice, which would certainly be quicker, but again, it does make me wonder whether perhaps I should just not let anyone under 13 to register.
If i was 13 and I really wanted to register i'd just create another hotmail email and pretend that my parents email to get the verification link. But if < 13 will be a key target audience then go for some sort of verification.

12-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If i was 13 and I really wanted to register i'd just create another hotmail email and pretend that my parents email to get the verification link. But if < 13 will be a key target audience then go for some sort of verification.
Yes, of course that would happen, but that's not what i'm trying to get at. It's better to try and protect yourself (legally) if you expect such things to happen. At least your covered by some sort of terms if the **** hits the fan.

They're not the key audience, but they're a valuable one. Take that age-group on MySpace, i'm sure they contribute a fair amount of visits, revenue, etc.

12-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Old

Here is the law, it spells it out clearly

Direct Notice to Parents

Content

The notice to parents must contain the same information included on the notice on the Web site. In addition, an operator must notify a parent that it wishes to collect personal information from the child; that the parent's consent is required for the collection, use and disclosure of the information; and how the parent can provide consent. The notice to parents must be written clearly and understandably, and must not contain any unrelated or confusing information. An operator may use any one of a number of methods to notify a parent, including sending an email message to the parent or a notice by postal mail.
You could send a form via e-mail to the parent.

12-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yes but then read the paragraph under:

Verifiable Parental Consent

Before collecting, using or disclosing personal information from a child, an operator must obtain verifiable parental consent from the child's parent. This means an operator must make reasonable efforts (taking into consideration available technology) to ensure that before personal information is collected from a child, a parent of the child receives notice of the operator's information practices and consents to those practices.
They also have to consent, which you have to take a lot more into account.

12-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Old

Then I would take neopets approach, they have been around for years and know what they are doing.

12-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Sahil is offline Sahil
Expertise:
Software:

Sahil is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Sahil Send a message via MSN to Sahil

Old

If they choose the under-13 option, make a notice saying "By using this site, your parents agree in letting you use this site."

And then they must confirm that.

12-26-2007, 03:39 PM

Old

That does not comply with the law.

Closed Thread