Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1376 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Should I buy a MAC?

Thread title: Should I buy a MAC?
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 >
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Gareth is offline Gareth
Software:

Gareth is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gareth

Old  Should I buy a MAC?

Hey guys,

Just got home from a short break Anywho, whilst away I read a magazine which featured the iMAC, and it made me really want one!!!!

But.

I've only ever used Windows, and there's nothing wrong with my current XP machine. Just wondering, have any of you guys gone from Windows to MAC? If so;

- How easy is it to get used to?
- Would you rate it better or less for what you need to do?
- Is it MEGA-COOL?
- Should I get one? Why?

Thanks!
Gareth

07-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Josh.UK is offline Josh.UK
Expertise:
Software:

Josh.UK is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I've only ever used Windows, and there's nothing wrong with my current XP machine.
As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". And no, owning a mac does not get you laid, so no, not mega-cool lol.

BetaOrange is offline BetaOrange
Expertise: Design / Coding
Software: Photoshop, iTunes, Firefox

BetaOrange is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

basically the same question as him, I really want a macbook pro, but I don't really know why haha.

bgolat is offline bgolat
Software:

bgolat is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to bgolat Send a message via AIM to bgolat Send a message via Yahoo to bgolat

Old

I switched to Mac at the beginning of 2008 after using a PC / Windows for almost 15 years. It is very easy to get used to.

I like the way it functions better than Windows for sure.

Yes it's mega-cool.

Go to an Apple store and play around with one for a couple days, that will help you decide. That is how I decided to get mine.

07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Garrett is offline Garrett
Software:

Garrett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garrett

Old

I have been using PC's since, well it was all I ever used. I wanted a Macbook because of the developer community and the quality of applications.

I got it, and I had a Dell XPS 400 at the time, which was in stats 3-4 times more powerful than my Macbook (with no video card, well its integrated), and now I use my Macbook as my only and main machine. It runs Windows a lot faster, loads Photoshop (Mac) extremely fast, etc. It is a learning curve once you go Mac OS X. And I have only been productive since. I can't imagine working on a Windows ever again.

I suggest going to an Apple store, spend about an hour there on a iMac or a Macbook. Get a list of programs you want to try or checkout (although they may not like it) download them and use them.

07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Oliver is offline Oliver
Expertise: Investment, SEO, Marketing
Software: After Effects, Photoshop, Maya

Oliver is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Oliver

Old

Don't switch to Mac, i have the misfortune of having to work with them, and also own a MBP. They're slow and the OS is bloated, like most of the software available for them as well.

07-03-2008, 06:29 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Don't switch to Mac, i have the misfortune of having to work with them, and also own a MBP. They're slow and the OS is bloated, like most of the software available for them as well.
are you using osx? calling osx bloated is the joke of the decade.

specs are specs, you will never get the same bang for your buck that you can get with pc, because apple is a boutique/brand computer. it's like buying no-name cola vs cocacola. there are subtle differences, but only if you really care, or if you're a brand nazi, will paying the premium for the brand be worth it.

windows treats me like i'm stupid, it's dissected into 1400 different versions so i can never get the full feature set i want, it's bloated, and it gets worse with every release. windows has to accommodate the lowest common denominator of user, which makes using it as a semi-advanced user a pain in the ass because you have to do so much work to make it behave like a reasonable piece of software.

osx is pretty bare bones. as a boutique computer brand, they don't need to accommodate to the lowest level user. the majority of people who use it are intelligent people who have chosen it for specific reason. the rest are either rich people, or trend hoppers who just want it for brand association and don't do anything complicated so osx doesn't have to do anything for them.

07-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Oliver is offline Oliver
Expertise: Investment, SEO, Marketing
Software: After Effects, Photoshop, Maya

Oliver is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Oliver

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
are you using osx? calling osx bloated is the joke of the decade.

specs are specs, you will never get the same bang for your buck that you can get with pc, because apple is a boutique/brand computer. it's like buying no-name cola vs cocacola. there are subtle differences, but only if you really care, or if you're a brand nazi, will paying the premium for the brand be worth it.

windows treats me like i'm stupid, it's dissected into 1400 different versions so i can never get the full feature set i want, it's bloated, and it gets worse with every release. windows has to accommodate the lowest common denominator of user, which makes using it as a semi-advanced user a pain in the ass because you have to do so much work to make it behave like a reasonable piece of software.

osx is pretty bare bones. as a boutique computer brand, they don't need to accommodate to the lowest level user. the majority of people who use it are intelligent people who have chosen it for specific reason. the rest are either rich people, or trend hoppers who just want it for brand association and don't do anything complicated so osx doesn't have to do anything for them.
While i agree with some of the points you've made, i'll have to disagree on some things.

I fear even justifying my point with facts is largely a moot cause, given that almost everyone here seems to be a strong proponent of Mac's, despite the fact the large majority of them lack any real knowledge on the subject of computer hardware and/or software (this wasn't aimed at you Derek).

I would not by any means call Mac's logical (and i was brought up using them at school), nor would i say they offer any benefit in functionality over a PC whatsoever.

Quite honestly, it would be hard to argue that a PC is less functional than a Mac in any respect. I'm not interested in seeing my windows glide about and bounce all over the place; it's just a waste of time and an even more egregious waste of resources and computational power.

I would agree that Mac's are fine for simpletons, but if you would like any real usability out of a computer, they're not for you. There is almost nothing a PC cannot do faster or better, for less money. To argue otherwise would just be patently incorrect.

For argumentations sake, Vista is not included in this debate due to the fact that it is a steaming pile of ****.

I expect this post will garner quite a few abusive replies from the more vociferous Mac supporters, but i'm going to politely disregard anyone who doesn't respond in a decorous manner (just so you know )

07-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old

Quite honestly, it would be hard to argue that a PC is less functional than a Mac in any respect. I'm not interested in seeing my windows glide about and bounce all over the place; it's just a waste of time and an even more egregious waste of resources and computational power.
I disagree with most of what you said in your last post Oliver, but I cannot be bothered to address it all - because what for?

But the paragraph I have picked out I find absurd, and quite laughable. Firstly, when you get used to the window "gliding" about, and I assume you are referring to OSX's "Expose" feature, it is quite the opposite of a waste of time. It saves a great deal of time when you add it all up. When using multiple windows (as I do a lot), it is much quicker to move your mouse into the top screen, and see all the windows open laid out in order, ready for you to click on, rather than minimizing each window till you find the one you're looking for.

The bit I find hilarious is how it is "wasting resources". What resources, lol? And do you really think that is wasting any noticeable "computational power"?

07-04-2008, 01:19 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

While i agree with some of the points you've made, i'll have to disagree on some things.

I fear even justifying my point with facts is largely a moot cause, given that almost everyone here seems to be a strong proponent of Mac's, despite the fact the large majority of them lack any real knowledge on the subject of computer hardware and/or software (this wasn't aimed at you Derek).

I would not by any means call Mac's logical (and i was brought up using them at school), nor would i say they offer any benefit in functionality over a PC whatsoever.

I would agree that Mac's are fine for simpletons, but if you would like any real usability out of a computer, they're not for you. There is almost nothing a PC cannot do faster or better, for less money. To argue otherwise would just be patently incorrect.

For argumentations sake, Vista is not included in this debate due to the fact that it is a steaming pile of ****.

I expect this post will garner quite a few abusive replies from the more vociferous Mac supporters, but i'm going to politely disregard anyone who doesn't respond in a decorous manner (just so you know )
it's all a matter of personality. i'm not even a hardware buff. i care about mostly is how i can use it.

pcs offer a greater amount of control and customization in the long run, there's no argument there. but, most people that really take advantage of that control know what they're doing and run linux most of the time. the average windows user customizes the system about as much as the average ac user. my problem with windows is that fact i have to bother.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 >