Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1684 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Alien PC or...

Thread title: Alien PC or...
View Poll Results: What you think?
Alien Desktop 6 21.43%
iMac 22 78.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
NickReffitt is offline NickReffitt
Expertise:
Software:

NickReffitt is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to NickReffitt Send a message via Yahoo to NickReffitt Send a message via Skype™ to NickReffitt

Old

It really depends on what operating system you are comfortable with. I would never ever recommend you to buy an Alienware PC, they are massively overpriced, you're better off building one yourself.

If it is strictly for Web Design, Digital Graphic Design and Video Editing which is what the iMac is designed for, then I would say go for that.

07-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Aldolinares is offline Aldolinares
Software:

Aldolinares is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Aldolinares

Old

I am windows user and always be... ( i hope) but for web design, video editing.. go for the Mac.

07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

I've got an alienware desktop + laptop. My desktop is about 2 years old, and have never ever had a problem with it. From being a windows user for a long time, i've probably come to use a mac like 3 maybe 4 times, and its hard to get used to.

However, it all depends on what your going to use it for. I chose alienware because of the graphics, software handling and gaming. I wanted a computer that could handle 3D modelling softwares very very well, but like i said, it depends what you use it for.

If your just into general webdesign, and using other various software for school work, it doesn't really matter which you go for. Either Mac to look cool in school, or alienware to just blow everyone away. Simple as that.

07-14-2008, 11:35 PM
aurora is offline aurora
Software:

aurora is on a distinguished road

Old

I would definitely go with the mac for what your needs are. Why get an alienware if you're not going to game? It's thousands of dollars more than the iMac anyway.

07-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Oliver is offline Oliver
Expertise: Investment, SEO, Marketing
Software: After Effects, Photoshop, Maya

Oliver is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Oliver

Old

The iMac is nowhere near powerful enough for video editing, it's just a glorified laptop (no, seriously, it works on the same mobile platform you find in a macbook pro).

07-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Garrett is offline Garrett
Software:

Garrett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garrett

Old

Originally Posted by Josh.UK View Post
You'll only get the answer iMac on this forum - so not the best place to ask really. I would say neither and custom build it as they're both overpriced.
Still hating huh? He asked for our opinions, so, I see no argument here.

Also, Oliver, Final Cut Pro works perfectly on the iMacs at school (which are the ones from when they first came out, the grey ones). The only problem is exporting them (not the best video card so it might take a while), I would suggest upgrading the video card.

It really depends on your preferences on the operating system, Alienware has been known for its high-high computing for games and things. Either won't disappoint, but I personally would go with the iMac.

07-15-2008, 02:08 AM
NickReffitt is offline NickReffitt
Expertise:
Software:

NickReffitt is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to NickReffitt Send a message via Yahoo to NickReffitt Send a message via Skype™ to NickReffitt

Old

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
The iMac is nowhere near powerful enough for video editing, it's just a glorified laptop (no, seriously, it works on the same mobile platform you find in a macbook pro).
iMac laptop

07-15-2008, 02:10 AM
Ricardo-san is offline Ricardo-san
Software:

Ricardo-san is on a distinguished road

Old

Ok if you want looks go for Mac, power and video editing just try that AlienWare. The Mac Pro is hilariously overpriced, for about $2k you can get a much better AMD desktop. Apple's one great achievement is that super light Mac Air thingy, I mean, all does is look good. Plus, there's a special Windows customizing soft now that can make your computer look like Mac OS X Leopard. Literally everything from task bar to system tray to that little bar at the top. But it uses a lot of CPU and RAM, nothing that AlienWare couldn't handle though.
Even so, I have a MacBook Pro.

07-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Patrick is offline Patrick
Expertise: Java/C#/C++ Programmer
Software:

Patrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Saulie View Post
Patrick, I love the way you put up a strong argument.
If I expressed my entire opinion on Mac, I would have to triple post.

07-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Garrett is offline Garrett
Software:

Garrett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garrett

Old

Originally Posted by Ricardo-san View Post
Ok if you want looks go for Mac, power and video editing just try that AlienWare. The Mac Pro is hilariously overpriced, for about $2k you can get a much better AMD desktop. Apple's one great achievement is that super light Mac Air thingy, I mean, all does is look good. Plus, there's a special Windows customizing soft now that can make your computer look like Mac OS X Leopard. Literally everything from task bar to system tray to that little bar at the top. But it uses a lot of CPU and RAM, nothing that AlienWare couldn't handle though.
Even so, I have a MacBook Pro.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

Macs are just as powerful for video editing. It also doesn't need a bundle of power to run a VERY large majority of the applications.

Also, he is talking about an iMac, which start at $1,199, not a Mac Pro which starts at $2,799 without a display.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >