Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1510 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

Video on Websites

Thread title: Video on Websites
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
01-02-2006, 07:06 PM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old  Video on Websites

I've been working on a unique idea for a site that works off using video/rich media as a medium to share information. The one true problem I can see with this is hosting this stuff, and how much it is going to cost me in hosting costs. This idea in theory works really well so I think with the right know-how marketing wise, I could profit quite well from it.

So my first question on the subject. What is the best way of having moving visuals and sound on your webpage. Preferably with the ability to watch it on the page you're downloading it from, like Google Video or something.

01-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

I thought I'd bump this topic instead of making another. It'd be nice to get an answer on this so I know the idea is feasible.

I quite like the idea of using something like Google Video or BitTorrent to host the videos. However, using something like that, would I ever actually earn anything from it?

01-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Haris is offline Haris
Software:

Haris is on a distinguished road

Old

Excellent idea , It would take a powerful dedicated server to host and enough money to market your website in huge websites.

After it is popular put advertisement opportunites and put premium memberships for money, give incentives to the premium people and etc.

just my 2 cents.

01-26-2006, 08:32 PM
freedom is offline freedom
Expertise:
Software:

freedom is on a distinguished road

Old

^ Not really. You're looking at a lowend dedicated, a celeron 1.7+ should be fine.

01-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I'm a poor student, so I can't really afford a dedicated server. Is there any other way I can host these, but without having to risk my ad moneys? I don't really want to have to give up on this idea since it's pretty good and could open some new possibilities.

01-26-2006, 09:35 PM
thedude is offline thedude
Expertise:
Software:

thedude is on a distinguished road

Old

What types of video streaming are you talking about because there are 2 types,
http streaming (using object embed, etc.) which my company supports.
UDP streaming where the files cannot be saved (some RealOne content, shoutcast, etc.) on shared servers, for that you gonna need a dedicated server since i dont think there is someone out there providing this on regular shared servers.
Regards

01-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by ULTiMATE
I'm a poor student, so I can't really afford a dedicated server. Is there any other way I can host these, but without having to risk my ad moneys? I don't really want to have to give up on this idea since it's pretty good and could open some new possibilities.
Multiple shared hosting accounts, running on the same site, would work as well. Site5 has a good deal going on, you should be good with like 2 or 3 of those

01-26-2006, 09:54 PM
sniper101 is offline sniper101
Expertise:
Software:

sniper101 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to sniper101

Old

This is going to be hard but the only possablity is really a dedicated server like everyone is saying. But you would be better off asking someone in the hosting bussness and ask them some cheap alternatives towards your hosting.

01-26-2006, 10:04 PM
thedude is offline thedude
Expertise:
Software:

thedude is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by freedom
Multiple shared hosting accounts, running on the same site, would work as well. Site5 has a good deal going on, you should be good with like 2 or 3 of those
If he needs that much bandwidth dont you think it will be best for a dedicated instead of paying half the cost for some shared accounts?
Also what you think Site5 is gonna do when they see he's consuming all the BW in the accounts, considering the fact that they oversell like hell. (400GB for a shared account for only 7.77/mo dont you think it's a little to obvious)
So until i get the answer as of what type of streaming is he looking , i cant really advice further.

01-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by thedude
If he needs that much bandwidth dont you think it will be best for a dedicated instead of paying half the cost for some shared accounts?
Also what you think Site5 is gonna do when they see he's consuming all the BW in the accounts, considering the fact that they oversell like hell. (400GB for a shared account for only 7.77/mo dont you think it's a little to obvious)
So until i get the answer as of what type of streaming is he looking , i cant really advice further.
I contacted Site5 personally regarding this, and they said it was fine.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >