Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1626 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Blogging and Community Building :

Where do i find 3rd party content? (news, schools, etc)

Thread title: Where do i find 3rd party content? (news, schools, etc)
Closed Thread    
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
billyf4 is offline billyf4
Software:

billyf4 is on a distinguished road

Old  Where do i find 3rd party content? (news, schools, etc)

Hi, I'm building a social networking site and I'm looking for ways to include 3rd party content. There are basically two types of content that i need.

1. I need information on schools and businesses (preferably to be stored on my local mysql database) so users may search for and add a school to their profile. Also need info for businesses such as name, location, type of business and contact info. The business details would not only be used so users can list their employer, but also so people can search for restaurants, stores, etc. in their area.

2. I want to have relevant news articles from local and/or national news sources. I would like this to be automatically updated daily, maybe based on choosing certain keywords. I would imagine that it would work having headlines on my site and then links to the full article on the provider's website but I'm open to other scenarios.

I'm just looking for any kind of leads where I could find these types of services (free or $$$) and any other relevant information you might have.

Thanks!

-Billy

04-19-2008, 07:05 PM
billyf4 is offline billyf4
Software:

billyf4 is on a distinguished road

Old

Just to follow up...
I have found google news and how you incorporate it into your website. This really is ideal for the first part of my original post. You can add keywords to generate filter articles and customize the display. I don't mind the little google logo on the site either. However their terms say it's not for commercial use and my site will be charging a small monthly subscription fee so I don't think i'd be able to continue using it. But if your website is not for profit and not selling advertising, then the google news feed is really nice! The only drawback is that it is in javascript so search engines won't see the updated content when indexing your site.

I've found other services that charge a monthly fee (and you can use for commercial websites) to add a news feed on your site. the prices are very reasonable, but the range of articles the ones i've looked into are not as good as google. I'd like to include some articles that are local to where the user registers their account.

-Billy

Closed Thread