Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1089 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

can u tell me what you think about this layout? thanks

Thread title: can u tell me what you think about this layout? thanks
Closed Thread    
03-14-2009, 02:23 AM
etahchen is offline etahchen
Software:

etahchen is on a distinguished road

Old  can u tell me what you think about this layout? thanks

i'm fairly new to web design. been doing it almost 2 years. i really want to get good. please give me some criticism. anything i did good? anything i did thats a design error? or how can this be a better layout? anything
http://www.etahchen.com

03-14-2009, 03:43 AM
hartofalyon is offline hartofalyon
Expertise:
Software:

hartofalyon is on a distinguished road

Old

i dig this editorial look. only parts that seem off to me is the gap of space at lower right and the area where your logo/header banner meets the "art" header of the 3rd column and the "web" header in the 2nd column. they don't line up, even though they have the same padding in the column.

w3c validator comes back with 65 errors in your markup and 7 errors in your css.

is there just one page?

03-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Software:

Old  thanks

alright, thanks man. i'll fix those gaps right now. hhm... i'mma have to think of a way to fill up that big gap.
yes, its only going to be one page. i'm trying to make a one page portfolio. why have a buncha pages, when i can just fit it into one? thats what i was thinkking

03-15-2009, 04:12 PM
juan-i is offline juan-i
Expertise:
Software:

juan-i is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to juan-i Send a message via Skype™ to juan-i

Old

hey dude...
despite being really minimalist, it's well done!
The only thing I'd change (without really altering the feel/look of it), would be to add some left padding to the headers, so that they are not so close to the left margins, if you know what I mean.

03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Software:

Old

oohhh... u mean to line up the headlines with the paragraphs and photos? i'll try it . thanks

03-17-2009, 12:10 AM
depthskins is offline depthskins
Expertise:
Software:

depthskins is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to depthskins Send a message via Yahoo to depthskins Send a message via Skype™ to depthskins

Old

Hey,

Saw your website and liked it. Thought I'd leave a few comments.

1. I'd suggest you use better typography for your name, it looks a bit boring. The typography here is a bit more interesting:
http://www.etahchen.com/Tblack.jpg

Reason it should be a little more special is because the site is quite minimal and dependent on the typography to make it stand out.

2. The problem I have is the images to the right. It instantly pulls my eye over there which isn't really a bad thing. However, I find it distracting to read anything else and I find it unbalanced because it's heavy more on the right. Why is that column wider than the rest anyway?

3. You also might wanna give those title area some padding.

Otherwise, I like it.

03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Software:

Old  wow

hey, thanks a lot guys for the reviews. i am surprised that a lot of you said you liked it, despite some of the changes i need to make. because when i asked for a review on sitepoint, they said that it wasn't good and that the layout sucks and the site is boring and a bunch of other stuff.

03-17-2009, 07:40 AM
spencerp is offline spencerp
Expertise:
Software:

spencerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

Originally Posted by etahchen View Post
hey, thanks a lot guys for the reviews. i am surprised that a lot of you said you liked it, despite some of the changes i need to make. because when i asked for a review on sitepoint, they said that it wasn't good and that the layout sucks and the site is boring and a bunch of other stuff.
1.) You've been doing webdesign for 2 years but fairly new at it, and this simplistic is all you can do? Then to ask if webdesign / programming from a college is the best way of getting "hired" from employers and stuff? Shouldn't you know this already?

2.) "A lot of you said you liked it" = a whopping three (new) people. (The rest of the "a lot of people" didn't say anything, because they were being nice and didn't want to be classified as all the rest of those being honest and blunt on sitepoint.com probably.)

3.) You didn't catch what two of them said about the "headers". The "About Me", "Web", "Art" and etc etc... needs some padding-left:5px; or more in the css file.

4.) If I remember right, I seen this "look/layout" on here before, can't remember who it was that had it. But I remember someone going with this though. Not a bad thing, because usually "simple IS sexy".

5.) Anyone with any basic html/css skills could make this.

6.) And, the guys/gals at sitepoint.com were right... Sorry, that's the rum talking! Not trying to being mean though!

Sorry, I'm going to go whip myself with a belt, and sit in the corner now. My bad!

P.S. And by the way, I'm just messing with you and giving you a hard time to "break you in" here. I do have a heart, I was being sarcastically ****y with you. I like it, it IS nice and simple! Just add some "padding-left" to the header text, and you'll be fine!

03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Software:

Old  .

? haha. thanks man. its okay. i know theres a lot of work i need to do. i've been doing web for 2 years, but have only been taking it real serious for the past half year. i know i need a lot of work, thats why i'm thinking of going to platt college for training.

03-17-2009, 04:21 PM
alihs is offline alihs
Expertise: design, PHP, Wordpress, SEO
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++, Firefox

alihs is on a distinguished road

Old

I have a sugesstion. Use a dark background. change ur text accordingly. use orangish color on the border of ur images

Closed Thread