Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1104 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

$125k for This?!

Thread title: $125k for This?!
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
03-12-2006, 01:17 PM
headnucleon is offline headnucleon
Software:

headnucleon is on a distinguished road

Old

They should just ask a bunch of students to do it. And give em an award for their hard work.

03-12-2006, 07:09 PM
mmorales is offline mmorales
Expertise:
Software:

mmorales is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to mmorales

Old

any update to this?

03-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Stealthstorm is offline Stealthstorm
Expertise:
Software:

Stealthstorm is on a distinguished road

Old

Well, congrats to that company who is earning so much money ^^

03-14-2006, 05:53 AM
evanmit is offline evanmit
Software:

evanmit is on a distinguished road

Old

thats really sad...can't even give you a try first

do it and then rub it in!

03-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Encore is offline Encore
Expertise:
Software:

Encore is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Encore Send a message via AIM to Encore Send a message via MSN to Encore Send a message via Yahoo to Encore

Old

Okay so I want to be an extortionist/webdesigner when I am older. SORTED!

03-15-2006, 02:06 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by buddybuddha
Tell me if Im wrong here...

I was drafted by my school to design and code a website for a huge conference in 2006 (November). Theres gunna be about 1200 delegates, 200 advisors, and others. The idea was that the website would handle registrations and housing for the students. Of course, leave it to the big bad PASC board to tell us we are incapable, and outsourcing what we could easily do ourselves.

But here's the kicker. Theyre paying this company, Trifecta $125,000 to do this. I know it's a slightly complicated task, but that is absolutely ridiculous. I dont understand how dumb this board is, and I was personally insulted by them outsourcing it in the first place.

So my plan is that we will go ahead and code the whole thing as planned, and during our presentation to the board on March 18, focus on the fact that we had extra time so we went ahead and threw this together, just to maybe rub into their faces that they wasted $125k.

As a side note--
Their website main page has 23 validation errors, and a broken link... Is this the kind of company that you pay $125,000 to develop a web app?
you know, it's pretty simple... 13 years of commercial experience, plus a personal relationship against what? a couple years in school or dabbling around in your free time? would you let someone who read about performing sugery off the net for a couple years, maybe practicing on some stuffed dummies take the knife to you? i wouldn't.

03-15-2006, 02:14 AM
Shane is offline Shane
Software:

Shane is on a distinguished road

Old

not to mention the site they did for 125k looks like total s***. Looks like the sites that when we first started we did!

03-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Zaigham is offline Zaigham
Expertise:
Software:

Zaigham is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Zaigham Send a message via MSN to Zaigham Send a message via Yahoo to Zaigham

Old

Doesnt make sense at all to me! 125K .... :-/

I like the idea of let students do the work and give them award for participation, it will build the spirit of doing something for their school in other students as well.

03-15-2006, 08:22 PM
jhmattern is offline jhmattern
Expertise:
Software:

jhmattern is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by teccrom
Make an article about this for the local news, get some publicity, they should love these kinda stories.
Being a PR professional I can tell you they'd definitely love it! Just imagine all the ticked off taxpayers when they find out where their money's going instead of other school projects.

Jenn

03-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Aphex is offline Aphex
Expertise:
Software:

Aphex is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Aphex Send a message via MSN to Aphex

Old

Originally Posted by dereklapp
you know, it's pretty simple... 13 years of commercial experience, plus a personal relationship against what? a couple years in school or dabbling around in your free time? would you let someone who read about performing sugery off the net for a couple years, maybe practicing on some stuffed dummies take the knife to you? i wouldn't.
You make a lot of sense here, but theres a huge difference between surgery and web design. It doesn't matter how long you've been doing it - its whether or not you have the creative talent and an eye for what looks good.

Students are praised for playing sports even though they most likely are going to wind up doing something stupid when they figure out they aren't going to 'make it big'. Just like I can say I've been a student for 12 years - doesn't make me a great student, does it?

I think a public school paying 125k for an online thing that will probably do absolutely nothing for the school is a HUGE waste of money for the taxpayers. I know that any one of us could do an amazing job and not even come remotely close to 125k price. No design is worth that... unless its 2Advanced :O (jk).

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >