Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1692 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

Making it big.

Thread title: Making it big.
Closed Thread    
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Nemaeus is offline Nemaeus
Expertise:
Software:

Nemaeus is on a distinguished road

Old  Making it big.

Alright, well in about a month im looking to go into real business, and hope to start making it big in web design. At the moment, im just doing the basic freelancing stuff, mainly webdesign.

Ok, so im going to hopfully set up my own company, get it licensed in the UK (although im not sure if this is needed yet) and try to make it big, so that i can use this as a living and no longer just as a hobby.

So, im just wondering if any of you guys have done this and made it big ( mainly in the UK ) Also, do most of you advertise localy? And if so by what means?

Im basicly hoping to make this into a long term plan, and finaly set up an office in the local area.

Anyway - sorry if this doesn't really make scense im just thinking out loud. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks, Matt.

06-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Elegant Banners is offline Elegant Banners
Expertise: UI Design
Software: Photoshop, Firefox, Notepad++

Elegant Banners is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Elegant Banners Send a message via Skype™ to Elegant Banners

Old

Originally Posted by Nemaeus View Post
Alright, well in about a month im looking to go into real business, and hope to start making it big in web design. At the moment, im just doing the basic freelancing stuff, mainly webdesign.

Ok, so im going to hopfully set up my own company, get it licensed in the UK (although im not sure if this is needed yet) and try to make it big, so that i can use this as a living and no longer just as a hobby.

So, im just wondering if any of you guys have done this and made it big ( mainly in the UK ) Also, do most of you advertise localy? And if so by what means?

Im basicly hoping to make this into a long term plan, and finaly set up an office in the local area.

Anyway - sorry if this doesn't really make scense im just thinking out loud. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks, Matt.
I've dabbled in a little freelance web design locally in the UK (Birmingham). You have to start off catering for small businesses, and providing with a solution that'll help their business thrive. Once you've collected a nice client-list, and some solid testimonials, you could form into a company, and advertise more widely.

Word of advice, don't undersell yourself (even to begin with). If you do that, people will see you as cheap, and you'll get referred to people who think they'll get a cheap website out of you.

Hope this helps.

06-26-2008, 01:18 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Nemaeus View Post
i'm going to sound negative, but the whole thing of making it big is that you're actually a big player in the field and you aren't pinned to a specific sector. the "big" people are international.

it's entirely possible to set up shop and be a success, but it's not something you can do over night. i've gone through the same process. it's long.

just establishing yourself as a business (getting a license, or going incorporated, or whatever you decide to do) isn't going to get you business. the problem with setting up shop, cold turkey, is that you have no credibility. you can have a kick ass portfolio, but if it's all personal work, all it shows is technical talent. it can't vouch that you're not a pain in the ass to work with, that you run off on people, you don't pad your budget, you're prompt, tat you can produce the quality work within certain time frames, etc. all that **** people look for when they want to do business.

it took me a while to realize it, but there is a big reason people start off as someone's work hose and then go off on their own.

1. you can watch/learn from professionals with no risk of failure. if you take on a deal on your own and drop the ball, you can really **** them off and have them bad mouth you to everyone they know. being the work horse behind the scenes, you can talk to people, figure out what they did and compare it to what you would have done.

2. you can focus on your abilities one at a time. to get a job as a junior designer, al you need to be able to do is design. you don't need managerial skills. you don't need PR skills. you don't need budget skills. first you just work on being a good designer. once you have that, you can do point #1 and start leaning new skills from credible people.

3. money.

there's 2 kinds of freelancers. there's freelancers who are basically design mercenaries. they offer the services to anyone looking to hire, from a job to job basis. most of the time they offer their services to other design firms/related companies who are in need of design services on a regular basis. this puts a middle man between you and the client.

the second kind of freelancing is a direct you>client relationship. this is what most people think freelance design is. i hate this stuff. with a passion. most of the clients who look for this route are people who don't want to deal with full studios and think they can get a great bargain on price. they usually can, because the projects are usually boring - if it wasn't, they would probably take it to the big firm. you need incredible networking to get cool jobs this way.

option 1 pays well, because it's funded by people who have the cash flow to go to big studios. you're also not doing any sales work, so if you develop a good connection with the company, they'll probably call on you regularly.

option 2 not so much. boring projects don't pay well. without a solid network in place, you'll probably find most people who inquire about your services are the people that want to spend $500 on a website, start to finish. i don't know if you're in school or not, or what you know about pricing. $500 might look like a lot when you see sites sold on the internet for $100, but trust me. it isn't. the average 2-3 page site would probably run around $2000 with a real pricing scheme. people who don't want to spend $2k usually look for some cornered designer who will take their peanuts out of desperation. that's why i hate dealing with random clients.

i've probably put a negative image in your mind, and you shouldn't see it that way. i'm throwing knowledge at you it takes years to figure out on your own. it's entirely possible to be a huge success running your own business, but like any success you need a plan. a thorough one. you can just throw down, shout "i'm a web designer" and that's that. you'd have to start small. it'll be boring. you probably won't like it, but it's like any other job. with enough time, you will advance somewhere with it. you can make it big, and become a big player, but it's a lot of work, a lot of planning and a lot of time.

i've been doing both scenarios for the last month and i've made as much as i would as a full time designer, but i don't enjoy working by myself so setting up my own shop isn't a smart idea for me right now.

hope i helped.

06-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

Derek is a wise, wise designer. Listen to his words

06-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

No, thanks Derek that was some wise words

Is it an easy thing to get a client list following? Also, more to do with advertising now - do you guys put listings in newspapers or do you like just put posters and things in shop windows?

I've heard a person on here say the yellow pages might be an option, though im unsure?

Any ideas guys?

@6creations : Im from Birmingham too

06-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Also, do you guys know of any firms that are local to you, and how much the go about charging, as i dont want to under or over sll my services.

Thanks.

06-26-2008, 04:48 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

i've actually never advertised my services. my name has just spread through word of mouth. it's either been someone i've worked with liking my performance or my friends being able to pass my name along. the beauty of design/promotion is it's needed by every industry, so the most random event can help you. IE, you do a good poster ad, or web site, or anything, someone looking for similar needs can ask who did the job, and you could possibly have a referral.

building a good client list is a kind of hit or miss. i guess it's going to be relative to how you want to operate. depends on which aspects of freelance design you like.

if you start talking to other business who currently have a nice client list and you simply offer your services as assistance - i don't know any big UK firms, but i have a friend in NYC who's been doing freelance design for one of the design firms who has comedy central as a client. i haven't done a great deal of freelance design - i'm not too fond of it - but i would assume that kind of approach is the fastest way to build an impressive client/brand list. no, you can't say "i talked to comedy central and got their contract", but what you can say is "i'm good enough to be trusted with this major international brand's material".

i would assume for people who don't like the administration/sales side of freelance design this would be the most enjoyable option because you don't have to negotiate any of the project stipulations, all you have to worry about is what you're designing (and cost/time).

but i don't see any reason you can't just strike out and start cold calling people and build your reputation the same way - i just imagine it's harder to get the ball rolling because you might be missing that initial credibility that comes with working with/at a reputable firm first.

i guess the best questions to answer to get started are:
  • what is it you really want to do?
  • do you have [commercial] experience doing it?
  • who else is doing it already
  • can you compete against them with your current situation? if no, think you could work with them as an outsourcer?
  • how's your network situation? - do you have people in positions to recommend you to people?
  • how long can you float around? - how much money/time can you invest in getting started.
  • what kind of sales/managerial experience do you have? one thing i was caught flatfooted on a lot was trying to give project estimations.

10-03-2008, 02:32 AM
exiruscreative is offline exiruscreative
Software:

exiruscreative is on a distinguished road

Old

nemaeus, sitepoint.com is a great resource if you want to start your web design business...but derek's advise is definitely great.

10-17-2008, 05:48 AM
xdarealistkillax is offline xdarealistkillax
Software:

xdarealistkillax is on a distinguished road

Old

Wow thanks a lot guys, thats a lot of typing lol. I'm trying to making it big my self, i been designing for my self and just deleting them just as practice. Now im looking to freelance

Closed Thread