Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1922 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Looking for costing advice...

Thread title: Looking for costing advice...
Closed Thread    
05-19-2007, 02:05 PM
raggydollsteve is offline raggydollsteve
Software:

raggydollsteve is on a distinguished road

Old  Looking for costing advice...

Hello talkfreelancer's,

I am currently working on the costings for a website that I could do with some advice with. Heres a run down of the work that will be involved...
  1. XHTML/CSS programming for around 14 static pages as well as around 10 page templates for dynamic pages. As well as the installation and styling of a discussion forum.
  2. Graphic design and new identity.
  3. PHP/SQL programming and database design for a dynamic:
    • News Section: Including headlines/snippets on the homepage linked to the full news story - as well as an archived news section.
    • A Catalogue: 230+ items with a basic sortable listing as well as a more detailed individual page for each item.
    • Admin Area: Allowing adding to and editing of the news section and the catalogue. As well as allowing the adding to and editing of a mailing list with the ability to send out a newsletter to all the email addresses on the mailing list.
  4. I will also be going through the current paper based records of the 230+ items to be catalogued (a decent sized filing cabinets worth) and sorting out what information will be going on to the website, as well as inputing all information using the admin area.
  5. Photography for around 30 photographs.
  6. Search engine optimisation and internet marketing. Including link exchanging and submission to search engines and directories. As well as the setting up of google adsense.

This is the biggest website I have tackled yet therefore I have no idea how much time this is going to take me or how much the subsequent costs involved will be. I would be very grateful for anyones advice on a project of this size and complexity.

Thanks in advance
Steve

05-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

As I said to another member in another thread you will need to take what you do know and expand it to suit the larger project.

For example, if you know it takes you x number of hours to code a couple of pages, then multiply that into your required number of pages. Do a couple of catalogue items and time them, then multiply that by 230 x hourly rate.

Basically work on what you do know and expand it to what you estimate it should take. Make sure you are conservative, because you don't want to underquote. You also don't want to overquote, but at least with overquoting you can give clients a refund.

For a project as large as this, I would really consider doing it only on an hourly rate basis, as quoting can go horribly wrong and you can be tied into a monster of a project.

Good luck Steve

Closed Thread