Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1030 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming :

Change is language from CFML to …?

Thread title: Change is language from CFML to …?
09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
cfprogrammer is offline cfprogrammer
Expertise: 17 years MS SQL and CFML
Software:

cfprogrammer is on a distinguished road

Old  Change is language from CFML to …?

I have been working with coldFusion for over 15 yrs since v2. I currently find a need to look for a new language to learn. PHP seems the obvious choice although there seems to be a ton of php programmers on the market so I am leaning toward jsp, ruby or python.

Does anyone have any insights on which lang are the most marketable and would be the easiest for me to transition too? Background is heavy MS SQL since v6 back in the day.

09-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

PHP is very widely used, there's a lot of jobs for it but there are also a lot of people going for those jobs. If you're used to working with Windows you should probably stick to Windows. .NET is very widely used for both web and computer applications. Your SQL Server experience will translate nicely to that.

I dabbled in CF back in 2007 and didn't continue since I saw it as a sinking ship. I remember it being unlike anything I had used before, having come from more of a C based background. You may have a hard time adjusting to anything else if you only know CF. Knowing any C style language would be of immense help here.

I'd pick up a copy of visual studio express and start playing around with C# .NET. Stay away from vB. The code you use for computer apps is nearly identical to the code you'd be using for web apps. The only major difference is how output works (I've written DLLs that served both computer and web apps at the same time).