Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1698 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Is it possible to approximate worldwide domain worth?

Thread title: Is it possible to approximate worldwide domain worth?
07-25-2010, 05:17 PM
jareso is offline jareso
Expertise:
Software:

jareso is on a distinguished road

Old  Is it possible to approximate worldwide domain worth?

Can be domain worldwide worth approximated if we know price of one domain? I mean generic domain name consisting of some common word or brand that has (more or less) meaning and possible usage in (more or less) all countries. I mean it is really worldwide usable without problems not possibly bound to any country. Like domain name possibly usable for some social network or service providing video hosting or blogs, etc.

I will give this example for better illustration of what I mean.
Lets say we know (something).com is worth and was sold for 100 000$.
Now, can we approximately calculate worth of other domains worldwide? Like (something).net, (something).org, (something).info, country specific and so on?

Is this possible? I know that it depends from domain to domain, from buyer to buyer, etc. But is it possible at some level of (even inaccurate) approximation… or not at all?
Something like (something).net is worth 10-20% of (something).com price, etc.

Is there some kind of calculator available for this? Or some formulas? Is this possible? Even inaccurate as I said, but just something...? I was looking for something like this throughout the net but I wasn’t successful in my search.

Thank you.

07-26-2010, 12:28 AM
webdevsys is offline webdevsys
Software:

webdevsys is on a distinguished road

Old

There is no specific formula as far as I know, but yes, of course you can always estimate.

The domain "Groupon.com" was purchased by the relatively new startup for around $250,000 I believe. If they weren't building a multimillion-dollar company around the name, something tells me the domain would not have sold for even 10% of that price.

In the end, any given domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but I don't think anyone can (accurately at least). And if you ever find out, shoot me a PM!

08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
weblover50 is offline weblover50
Software:

weblover50 is on a distinguished road

Old

There are websites that give you an approximate on the domain value but that is if you have a website to it. These are usually not correct and inflate the price. So the best bet would be to do your own research and come up with a value.

01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
mohitindia is offline mohitindia
Software:

mohitindia is on a distinguished road

Old

There are multiple reason where you can get multiple domain name to work on. the value for any domain depend up on the most appropriate way of getting the trust to it and there are different areas where the parameters get decided.

03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
domainbartender is offline domainbartender
Software:

domainbartender is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by webdevsys View Post
The domain "Groupon.com" was purchased by the relatively new startup for around $250,000 I believe.
That's a little extreme. Wouldn't they be better off just changing the brand name and saving a couple hundred thousands????

03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

A domain is like a collectors item, it is only worth what someone will pay for it. The domain bnmd2.net is worthless now, but if everyone started using a device with those initials it would become valuable. Domains inherently hold no worth, therefore their worth must be derived the use of the person buying it.

Originally Posted by crumblepie View Post
That's a little extreme. Wouldn't they be better off just changing the brand name and saving a couple hundred thousands????
You are looking at this from a very black and white perspective, if they felt that they would directly make $300,000 more because they got a $250,000 domain it is a good idea. I wasn't on the board so I don't know what their exact reasons were, but it certainly pertained to the name groupon making more than the $250,000 they spent.