Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1304 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

a freelance "fast one"...

Thread title: a freelance "fast one"...
02-29-2012, 12:52 AM
pepsby is offline pepsby
Expertise: front-end coding
Software: Adobe CS5x, SharePoint, Chrome

pepsby is on a distinguished road

Old  a freelance "fast one"...

Hi all, a co-worker of mine has a lot of customers who want websites and he wants to know how much I charge to develop them. I told him my hourly price with a 5-hr minimum. He then asked me if I could just write the css for a template. Now at first he was going to send me all the webdesign/dev work. Now he only wants me to write 1 css template. I'm thinking he changed his mind & just wants me to create a template that he can re-use. Then he'll charge his clients for each site he builds using my css template. I get paid only once (he'll probably expect to be charged an hour or so to write 1 css template), but he gets paid every time he uses the template to build out sites himself. Pretty slick and profitable for him -- not so for me. Any advice on how I could handle this situation? Thanks

02-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Moved to Contracts, Business and Legal Help.

Did you agree to future profit sharing? Why should he have constraints put on what he does with the work he paid for? It's his and unless you agreed otherwise, you have no right to assert usage restrictions.

03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

sounds to me like another situation where one of those "yes we're friends but this is business" discussions, followed-up with some written documentation of your agreement is in order, pepsby.

I agree with VG, if you sold him your work product assuming he would use it one way and he turns around and uses it in a different way. . .you have no control, unless you have an agreement that states what is and isn't supposed to happen.