Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1547 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

[PRINT] Dimensions Requested

Thread title: [PRINT] Dimensions Requested
Closed Thread    
11-22-2006, 03:42 AM
northpark is offline northpark
Expertise:
Software:

northpark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to northpark

Old  [PRINT] Dimensions Requested

Calling the big names in print design on this forum: Rosem, Derek Lapp, etc.

I need help in finding the appropriate dimensions for:
- Letter Heads (300 dpi I assume)
- Pamphlets/Leaflets (300 dpi I assume)
- Envelopes

Thanks guys.

11-22-2006, 01:36 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

Design to the page size for letterheads:

US: 8.5" x 11" (letter)
UK: 210 x 297mm (A4)

If you want your design to be full-width and/or height remember to include a few mil extra for the bleed - also remember that this will cost your clients more money at the printers.

Envelopes are a little larger than the letter width and a little over 1/3 height but I don't remember the exact sizes off-hand... Google will help you here. You should actively avoid up-to-the-edge designs for envelopes as including a bleed is not an option and would require the end product to be custom built.

Pamphlets vary so there isn't a single preset size.

300dpi is good.

Other things to remember include working in CMYK and keeping colors down to a minimum to reduce print costs. Look to use Pantone colors to maintain brand consistency.

When creating Letterheads include a second, lesser version for continuation sheets.

11-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Varelse is offline Varelse
Expertise:
Software:

Varelse is on a distinguished road

Old

Many online print houses provide the blank template files you can use - this way you are sure that the file dimensions will be exactly as the particular company requires.
Sometimes they require 350dpi (not the "standard" 300dpi).
Also you can design these materials in vectors (AI, EPS, PDF).

11-22-2006, 06:02 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

Hmm...dimensions? dpi? When you are creating either letterhead (no "s"), brochures/pamphlets, and envelopes, dpi has no relevance. That is assuming you are using publishing software like Indesign or Quark Xpress as opposed to image/vector programs (Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator, Freehand. If you are using the appropriate software, the selections will be there for you to choose from. Then you simply place the artwork where you want it to be.

If you are using image/vector programs, simply create the artwork. The print shop will handle the rest. Unless you are using an online printer, which will have specific instructions on how to set up the work.

Standard dimensions for what you have asked vary, with the exception of letterhead. That is, 99.9% of the time 8.5"x11". Brochures/pamphlets and envelopes come in various sizes. That all depends on what you want to do. Envelopes have various standard sizes, with windows, no windows, large, small, etc.

I can tell you though, when I work on print pieces, I rarely send finished work to a printer that is not Indesign or Quark. I used to work at one a while back and always had to fix crap that was sent to us from Photoshop or Illustrator. You can't run plates from those formats and we always had to place the work into Indesign or Quark.

11-22-2006, 07:42 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

if you're going to be doing work in photoshop - watermark background for example - you'll want to export the artwork at a high dpi. 300 dpi is the standard rough number. i had a power point lesson 2 years ago that had some kind of formula for determing a rough optimial dpi based on the kind of paper you were using and the type of printer (laser, injet, bubble etc) but i really think it was optimal for home printing and not commercial printing. i've always done mine at 300 and they've come out nicely.

what i find best for setting up print documents is to turn image resampling off. when you start up a 300 dpi document it doesn't resize the canvase to compensate for the dpi which means your ram won't be sucked right out. this doesn't really apply to identity documents more full graphics but sometimes i work in rgb and switch over to cmyk at the end - ps only has to juggle 3 colour ranges instead of 4, so less ram whoring.

ideally you should set these up in illustrator. i always import my ai files into indesign when i set up the templates. another thing to note is bleed. if you're going to do a full bleed add 1/8 around the outside of the canvase - letterhead would be 8 5/8 x 11 1/8.

i don't do too much print work, but i understand it enough to make due when i want/need some, so ask away if you have any other questions, i'll try to answer them.

11-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Wowee, thanks guys; when I was asking for the dimensions of Envelopes and letter heads I was referring to how much space should be taken up by imagery and how much should be left for text. Example: on an A4 Sized Sheet (8.5" by 11") X" is an appropriate size for top imagery.

Thanks for all the help all ready guys.

11-23-2006, 04:10 AM
WardLarson is offline WardLarson
Expertise:
Software:

WardLarson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to WardLarson Send a message via MSN to WardLarson

Old

11-23-2006, 06:20 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by northpark
Wowee, thanks guys; when I was asking for the dimensions of Envelopes and letter heads I was referring to how much space should be taken up by imagery and how much should be left for text. Example: on an A4 Sized Sheet (8.5" by 11") X" is an appropriate size for top imagery.

Thanks for all the help all ready guys.
that's reall all up to creative discretion. you could wimp out and create a formula for your work where on an evelopse 80% must be white space, etc but these descisions are really made to bes serve the design strategy.

i wouldn't do something for an uptight office the same way i would for an innovative creative agency.

11-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp
that's reall all up to creative discretion. you could wimp out and create a formula for your work where on an evelopse 80% must be white space, etc but these descisions are really made to bes serve the design strategy.

i wouldn't do something for an uptight office the same way i would for an innovative creative agency.
I see where your coming from with that; I guess I kinda knew that, but was just making sure. Thanks All!

Closed Thread