Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1570 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Bad computer troubles :(

Thread title: Bad computer troubles :(
Closed Thread    
12-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old  Bad computer troubles :(

Well, I was extra bored today because I was having horrible computer troubles. To fill you in on my troubles, here is a small story.

I was watching a movie through iTunes when my framerate dropped. I closed out of all my programs, waited a few minutes then brought just a few back up again to help my computer cope with it's extra processes it has to compute. Anyway, my framerate was still low, so I started defragging my computer and played solitare at the same time. Well, just my luck when my computer crashed. I tried rebotting and it did a CheckDisk and returned many errors. After a while, it "died" from one error. Next time, I booted up and skipped the check and went straight to windows. It got stuck at the screen where you login, however the only thing showing was the background and Windows logo.

Well, after many failed attempts at using safe mode and other stuff, I took it over to my dads house to work on it. Then, we were going through all our harddrives to see what we could use to hookup in my computer to see if it's the memory or what, and it turns out that all but 2 harddrives don't work. That is from about 8 harddrives that are available, only 2 work. One is a 40 gig (which is the one I'm on now) and my Dad's HDD which he is using. We picked up a new HDD at Best Buy along with a new keyboard and speakers, and then we were trying to setup windows on my same HDD to recover it. Well, turns out that my computer doesn't want to reconize my HDD, must be marital issues or something. My dad set it up as a secondary drive on his computer to run some test and stuff and will give it back to me tomorrow. But for now, I'm stuck on my second computer that we just reformatted and doing about 66 updates for Windows, then installing all the programs.

Breif version:
- Computer crashed
- No harddrives worked
- Windows setup didn't reconize my harddrive
- Got new HDD and stuff
- Now setting up Windows on second computer
- Time wasted: 9 hours total
- Time GOING to be wasted: 3 days while I setup 2 computers with programs, updates, and then going to update my router etc.

Man, I'm very tired and pissed off at Windows. I have to leave my computer on all night (it's rather loud and right next to my bed) while Windows updates. After writing this, I'm on download 29 of 66, and then they have to install.

Bad day for the Andrewnator.

12-27-2006, 05:48 AM
.amaZe is offline .amaZe
Expertise:
Software:

.amaZe is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

haha that sucks

12-27-2006, 06:04 AM
WardLarson is offline WardLarson
Expertise:
Software:

WardLarson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to WardLarson Send a message via MSN to WardLarson

Old

um. reset motherboard BIOS?

worked for me when my **** got messed up.

that sucks.

12-27-2006, 06:14 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Nothing in the BIOS was messed up, I even got a few Windows errors saying there was a few corrupted files. Also, checkdisk didn't come up clean, so that also may have been the problem. Just bad files.

12-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Waupiman is offline Waupiman
Expertise:
Software:

Waupiman is on a distinguished road

Old

Did you try the xp recovery disk? It could have saved you some time.

And, you cant just swap hdd's you need to install on the machine your going to use if you want to do it good..

12-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Indie is offline Indie
Expertise:
Software:

Indie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Indie

Old

Use Linux It's much more reliable than Windows.

12-27-2006, 08:41 PM
northpark is offline northpark
Expertise:
Software:

northpark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to northpark

Old

Spinrite to recover data then reformat imho..

12-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yeah, this sucks. One of my computer was working, the one I posted with, then I moved it to a different room with diff monitor and now it isn't working. I'm in safe mode on that computer right now (I'm posting with my sisters laptop) and running some programs that should help..

However, my other computer is giving me headaches. Because I spent about 2 hours just to find out I don't have a floppy disk to load RAID/SATA drivers onto my computer for it to work.. so now I have to wait for my mom or dad to go to Best Buy to buy me one.

Recovery didn't work at all, by the way.

And northpark, thanks, but we figured out that it was just the Windows installation that was messed up, and all info is safe on the harddrive. Once I get my computer up, I'm going to make it a secondary drive and move all the needed info off of it so we can then reuse it later.

Closed Thread