Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1384 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Articles From The Experts :

Making money with domain names

Thread title: Making money with domain names
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Sam Granger is offline Sam Granger
Expertise:
Software:

Sam Granger is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Sam Granger

Old  Making money with domain names

Hello there! This is a quick tutorial on how to make a nice buck by registering and selling domains.

First of all, I must say the following. If you have a good domain, you are better off developing it and keeping it for yourself instead of it. Only sell a good domain if its not of interest or if you dont have time/money to invest into it.

One thing I always do is think of good domains. Lets say something silly like photoshoptutorials.com. As you cn see, it has a parking page. Do a whois search and see when it expires. Write this all down in your agenda or whatever and when it comes to that day, see if the owner renewed or not. If he hasn't, you have to wait a while untill you can re-register the domain - some people might do this quicker then you, there are quite a few online services that register expired domains just a few seconds after it has been deleted. However, if it's a good domain, you have a big chance others will be after it too so you have to be fast. Another thing you can do is keep a lookout for new products/technologies. The second you hear about them (and not a second later!) do a quick whois for them or related domains. Eg. Microsoft released Silverlight. The second I heard about it, I registered Silverlightforum(s).com, Silverlight(-)Tutorials.com and SilverlightFiles.com. I only paid $44.40 for this in total and a few days later, I sold them on for $500. Thats a nice profit for a few minutes of work.

Another way to find nice domains is by looking for dropped domains. You can do this on sites such as justdropped.com. Some domains are more popular then others. You can make cash by registering popular but deleted domains by parking them. Ofcourse, you can always just sell them on again. Best is to first record how many (unique) visitors the domains receive, and mention it before selling.

Quick tip, as of this moment, Pixelmator domains haven't been registered a lot yet, so be quick. However, do this at own risk. I am not at fault if you dont make profit. All depends if Pixelmator gets big or not!

Some examples of what is currently free:

PixelmatorHelp.com
PixelmatorTutorial.com
Pixelmator-Tutorial(s).com
PixelmatorFiles.com

Good luck!

06-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old

I don't think an expert was needed for that and all those domains you listed could get you potentially sued.

06-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I don't think an expert was needed for that and all those domains you listed could get you potentially sued.
Sure, they can get sued but the chances they will are so little. It only promotes their products really. Microsoft were fine about it.

Anyway, not everyboidy knows about domain parking/looking for dropped domains

I agree, it is common sence.

06-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Its only illegal if you claim to be the company, if I somehow (legally) got microsoft.com, as long as I don't claim to be Microsoft I am legal.

06-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Its only illegal if you claim to be the company, if I somehow (legally) got microsoft.com, as long as I don't claim to be Microsoft I am legal.
You can still get the domain taken away from you. What Sam is trying to do (but doesn't realise) is promote cybersquatting.

Definition:

Reserving an Internet domain name for the purpose of selling it later to a company that wants to use it.

Some previous cases (some typosquatting):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8515601/

(I'll find some more later, really got to go)

06-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

You can still get the domain taken away from you. What Sam is trying to do (but doesn't realise) is promote cybersquatting.

Definition:

Reserving an Internet domain name for the purpose of selling it later to a company that wants to use it.

Some previous cases (some typosquatting):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8515601/

(I'll find some more later, really got to go)
My aim is not to sell it to a company though. I doubt Pixelmator is interested in PixelmatorTutorials.com for example. It can only help their users, and I'd be selling it to someone who'd develop it into a tutorial site (only promotion really).

True about typosquatting btw, not a real fan of it myself, I dont do typo domains.

06-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Sam Granger View Post
My aim is not to sell it to a company though. I doubt Pixelmator is interested in PixelmatorTutorials.com for example. It can only help their users, and I'd be selling it to someone who'd develop it into a tutorial site (only promotion really).

True about typosquatting btw, not a real fan of it myself, I dont do typo domains.
Selling it to a company/person same thing. Someone who wants to buy it to earn revenue for themselves. Believe me Sam, it will catch up with you one day. Pixelmator are a limited company. If they look you up on a whois server, they will see straight away no organisation name, just a sole person with full address. If they take you too court, you will have to defend yourself as a single person, if the **** hits the fan for them, they are a limited company, that means the company owes you money, and for you, well, you owe them whatever deemed.

I'd say Pixelmator.net is close to typosquatting aswell and they're probably already on to you.

A real expert in domains knows to stay well clear of ****ing about with company names, and I am sorry to be harsh, but if you don't clear yourself of these domains you could be in big trouble.

Just take it from experience, please, and by that, I mean yes, I have had this kind of issue myself.

Edit: About what you said about Pixelmator not wanting PixelmatorTutorials.com, well you're right, but that's not the point, they just want to burn you for using it. Do you think Speiberg really wanted DreamworkzWeb.com to open his own web design company changing the 's' to a 'z' in his company name? I don't think so....

The fact will remain that they are entitled to any domain with 'Pixelmator' or a representation of it if they trademark which they haven't yet.

06-19-2007, 06:38 PM
damien is offline damien
Software:

damien is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to damien

Old

If worst can to worst, all that would happen is he would lose the domain. It is not that big of deal.

I agree with Sam. It is a great way to make some $ with new products.

06-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Edit: About what you said about Pixelmator not wanting PixelmatorTutorials.com, well you're right, but that's not the point, they just want to burn you for using it. Do you think Speiberg really wanted DreamworkzWeb.com to open his own web design company changing the 's' to a 'z' in his company name? I don't think so....

The fact will remain that they are entitled to any domain with 'Pixelmator' or a representation of it if they trademark which they haven't yet.
I doubt they would want to burn me for having the domain. Its not like it would be used to setup a competitor (like your dreamworks example). I am sure if I made a nice dreamworks site with its history, place it on dreamworkshistory.com they won't care.

07-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Twadz is offline Twadz
Software:

Twadz is on a distinguished road

Old

Nice intro to domaining

As you say, there are thousands of people doing exactly this so its pretty hard to get into it.

I remember everyone was grabbing the Microsoft Zune domains like straight away.

What's ya biggest domain sale Sam may I ask?

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >