Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1147 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Motivation, Reason & Earnings

Thread title: Motivation, Reason & Earnings
Closed Thread  
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
08-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Expertise:
Software:

Andy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Andy

Old

Originally Posted by sm0ke
Well, Here's what I would do Anthony.

I think you are one of the best designers that I have ever seen and you are quite easy to get along with, which is not that easy to find on the internet. WHen someone designs as good as you and has the type of attitude towards its clients and what they need designed it makes the design worth so much more. If I were in the position you are, I would have to raise my prices. Your work is to good of quality to not be worth 350$ /psd. Don't get me wrong I think it's a lot of money but webdesign isn't really all that cheap now days. I hope that you can get back on the right track because the design /coding world needs people like you in it.

Best of luck to you in the future man. Keep up the amazing work.
Raising his prices to $400/psd would be bad. Say it cost him 1 client of the 4 he gets each month.

Thats's $400x3 ($1200) compared to $350x4 ($1400).

Anthony you're yet to have a portfolio up, try getting mevoa.com soon and I'm sure you'll get some clients.

08-10-2006, 09:57 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

The problem isn't getting work, the problem is increasing his prices and STILL getting work. The only you're going to do that and stay in this same market (that being mainly 15-18 year olds) is to learn some new skills to add value. If you learnt flash, coded all your designs instead of just a psd then you could quite easily charge $500-600 a pop.

08-10-2006, 10:21 AM
hjalmar is offline hjalmar
Expertise:
Software:

hjalmar is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
The problem isn't getting work, the problem is increasing his prices and STILL getting work. The only you're going to do that and stay in this same market (that being mainly 15-18 year olds) is to learn some new skills to add value. If you learnt flash, coded all your designs instead of just a psd then you could quite easily charge $500-600 a pop.
but that would just increase the work, so that means less time to take on new clients. just means the same amount of work(in hours) with the same pay check..

Its true what you say tho, learn new skills so you can manage everything by yourself (sure outsourcing is always an options if you have the right people behind you, could be freelancers), and then find yourself some high paying customers that know yack sh!t about the internet and webdesign

08-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Julian, thanks very much for the post - Here's the main issue with local work right at this minute:

I don't trust outsourcing work to people online for local jobs. I deem local work as higher risk than work over the internet due to the higher level of personal interaction and communication, not to mention the higher level of pay which can be expected.

I currently do some work for a local business (Road-Sense Driving School) and in all honesty it does take up a huge chunk of my time.

Robson is right also, time is a massive factor as I'm still undergoing my studies and I'm not exactly the brightest spark in the toolshed.

I'm not really afraid of local work. I love meeting with clients and sharing a cup of coffee, presenting my ideas and actually discussing things with people. I'm very much a people person!

08-10-2006, 01:41 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

but that would just increase the work, so that means less time to take on new clients. just means the same amount of work(in hours) with the same pay check..
It will mean more work but the idea is to have FEWER clients who pay more in order to deliver better products. Flash headers/intros, coded sites, maybe with some SEO optimization? Free link submission? There are literally dozens of ways you can improve your product and make it more attractive to a customer. You won't be able to charge much more than $250/psd in this MARKET. People outside of this market look for FULL website packages. I think you honestly need to delivery full sites and stop doing just psds.

Identity creation
Website design
Flash work
SEO etc

While it will add slightly more work to each project, you should be able to charge ALOT more, $x,xxx a site. You would then break each part down to make it appear more reasonable.

E.g Identity creation $100, website design $500, flash work, $100, SEO, $250, Link submission $100.

I mean things like identity creation (that's no different from what you currenty do, just seperate it though so it looks like they're getting more, flash work...how long would it take to add some sparkle to a sites header? A couple of hours tops? SEO can be done when coding and when you've spent time learning it can add no more time than coding a template. Link submission..you can get software that takes a few minutes!

Just my advice anyway...I think you need to find a new market and offer complete website solutions. Up the price and up the service.

08-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
It will mean more work but the idea is to have FEWER clients who pay more in order to deliver better products. Flash headers/intros, coded sites, maybe with some SEO optimization? Free link submission? There are literally dozens of ways you can improve your product and make it more attractive to a customer. You won't be able to charge much more than $250/psd in this MARKET. People outside of this market look for FULL website packages. I think you honestly need to delivery full sites and stop doing just psds.

Identity creation
Website design
Flash work
SEO etc

While it will add slightly more work to each project, you should be able to charge ALOT more, $x,xxx a site. You would then break each part down to make it appear more reasonable.

E.g Identity creation $100, website design $500, flash work, $100, SEO, $250, Link submission $100.

I mean things like identity creation (that's no different from what you currenty do, just seperate it though so it looks like they're getting more, flash work...how long would it take to add some sparkle to a sites header? A couple of hours tops? SEO can be done when coding and when you've spent time learning it can add no more time than coding a template. Link submission..you can get software that takes a few minutes!

Just my advice anyway...I think you need to find a new market and offer complete website solutions. Up the price and up the service.

Very insightful

08-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Thanks for the insight Robson, much appreciated and well noted

08-10-2006, 02:53 PM
luis_mx is offline luis_mx
Expertise:
Software:

luis_mx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to luis_mx

Old

What other things inspire you right now? I'd do that, and see if I could earn some $ with them .

08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Expertise:
Software:

Andy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Andy

Old

Robson Anthony's got another problem, he gets distracted. I think you should put differentiating between work and play top of your list. I know you have been getting distracted, this way you know when you're working and when you're not.

Closed Thread  
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5