Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 862 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

How to handle domain name and webhosting registration

Thread title: How to handle domain name and webhosting registration
Closed Thread    
09-23-2008, 04:01 AM
AncientStar is offline AncientStar
Software:

AncientStar is on a distinguished road

Old  How to handle domain name and webhosting registration

Hi all. I'm very new to freelance webdesign. In fact, I just got my first client who isn't a relative. *g*

Anyway. I have a question about how to handle the domain name and webhosting registration. Do I register the domain name and set up the web hosting package for him? It seems like that's something I should handle, but then how do I pay for it. I can hardly ask him for his credit card, but how do I make sure that by putting it on my credit card, I'm not responsible for keeping the domain name registered and the web hosting active?

Is there an industry standard of how to go about this, or does everyone have their own system?

Thanks!

10-02-2008, 10:07 AM
itsukia is offline itsukia
Software:

itsukia is on a distinguished road

Old

Wow. This was the exact question I just posted. Here is what I wrote "I have been messing around with web design for a while and I want to do some freelance, but I am unsure about how to host clients' sites. I do not have my own server. Should I have clients buy their own hosting, or should I do it for them with a service that will allow me to have many domains? If I should do it myself what services are best?

I currently use godaddy hosting, but there is a limit on domains. I can add more but I think it is quite expensive.

Forgive my ignorance.

Thanks"

10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Phiblue29 is offline Phiblue29
Software:

Phiblue29 is on a distinguished road

Old

Ok, here's what I do, it takes a little extra time-- but it's well worth it.

Have the client pay for their own hosting and domain registration.

This can be done sitting on your or the client's office, take them to networksolutions.com (or choice) and lead them through the registration process. Follow a similar procedure w/ godaddy.com (or choice)-- and have THEM pay. I have also done this over the phone, including conference-calling the hosting co.

Do not hedge on this-- it saves a lot of heartache in the long run. I usually do this for free for the client as a courtesy (trust me it comes back to you).

Help the client by NOT letting them tell you to "just handle it and add it to the bill"-- you do not want to own a bunch of domains for businesses you have no real ties to.

10-05-2008, 05:52 AM
coffeegal is offline coffeegal
Software:

coffeegal is on a distinguished road

Old

I agree with the above I have clients pay for their own domains and hosting. If you buy it yourself and then 'resell' it to them it will be nothing but a headache because every time their site is down or email problems they come hounding you and it's just not worth it.

I always as a part of my service offer to apply for the domain and open a hosting account on their behalf. I make it very clear this is a third party contract/expense which they are responsible for and likewise all support issues are to be raised directly with these organizations. Some hosting companies let you go through the online application and then select a payment option that can be completed later such as check, bank deposit, send an invoice etc. if it auto generates an Invoice on screen I just print to PDF and email it to the client so they can pay. Sometimes an Invoice just goes strait to the Inbox. Everything is in the client's name, you ask for all necessary information from them upfront. You are just filling in the forms on their behalf as a courtesy. Find a hosting company that offers flexible payment arrangements that aren't needing instant payment when applying.

10-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Phiblue29 is offline Phiblue29
Software:

Phiblue29 is on a distinguished road

Old

Right on point.

The only thing I also do is make sure I'm listed as the 'tech' contact. That way I can call the help desk on the client's behalf and handle installing apps, new emails, etc.

I'm of the frame-of-mind that if the client needs you to register their domain and hosting, they probably need you to handle all the tech stuff that pops up too.

10-16-2008, 10:16 PM
AncientStar is offline AncientStar
Software:

AncientStar is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for the replies, all. I was planning on sitting down with my client and walking him through the registration, but having him fill out all the information. It's good to know that this has worked out for other people.

Closed Thread