Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1217 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Do Clients Pay Before Viewing Sample?

Thread title: Do Clients Pay Before Viewing Sample?
Closed Thread    
03-16-2006, 02:32 AM
ACCTeam is offline ACCTeam
Software:

ACCTeam is on a distinguished road

Old  Do Clients Pay Before Viewing Sample?

Hello,

I know this sounds like a dumb question and for the most part I would more then assume, that the client always pay half the bill before you start but I dont understand how the client is ok with this.

Has anyone here ever show a sample of the graphic look of the website before being paid?

What I'm trying to understand is, lets say the client gives you some ideas on how they want their website to look and then after making the 1st draft, the client does not like it, how do you handle this. I know most contracts give about 3 remakes of the look but what happens if the client does not like the last re-design what do you do? What if you just dont know how to make what the client wants to have...do you say have a nice day and go separate ways, do you still charge a small amount and if you do charge, how do you figure the correct amount?

Please let me know how you might handle this, even if you never had this problem. I'm trying to make sure the client feels comfortable and is handle correctly. Thanks so much for the time and looking forward to hearing back...

Thanks,

03-16-2006, 02:36 AM
Bryan vD is offline Bryan vD
Software:

Bryan vD is on a distinguished road

Old

The best way to do it is to show them as you do peice by peice asking for changes. That way you don't have to start over from scratch.

03-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Supplies man is offline Supplies man
Software:

Supplies man is on a distinguished road

Old

If you are already recommended, you have a reputation that makes paying half up front acceptable.

If the client is uncertain, you could always include a clause that sees some of the money returned if the project doesn't move forward.

03-16-2006, 03:48 PM
jhmattern is offline jhmattern
Expertise:
Software:

jhmattern is on a distinguished road

Old

A lot of freelancers in all fields have an upfront fee, with the rest charged at the project's completion. If it's a small project budget-wise, you can let them pay afterwards if you trust them. Just get it in writing in a contract, and send them an invoice right away when the work is done. Also, don't forget to include a 'kill fee,' which means if the client cancels, or 'kills,' the project before it's done, they still owe you a certain percentage. It's usually anywhere from 25% to 50%. A good bet is to make the kill fee equal to the amount they pay up front, if any, so if they cancel the project, you don't have to pay it back. Or, you could just call the first payment a non-refundable deposit. But people don't like the word 'non-refundable.'

Jenn

03-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Sarmatian is offline Sarmatian
Software:

Sarmatian is on a distinguished road

Old

I always take a downpayment. There's so much risk if you just give them a sample, if they don't like it, you have wasted your time and lost the client.

03-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Have a look at my sample contract here:
http://www.talkfreelance.com/showthread.php?t=2745

I have a payment sytem of 33% deposit before I commence work, 33% on client acceptance of mockup and the final 34% on completion of project.

Heres part of my cancellation clause:

42. Cancellation
Cancellation of the project at the request of the Client must be made by registered mail. In the event that work is postponed or cancelled at the request of the Client by registered mail, the Developer shall have the right retain the original 33% deposit. In the event this amount is not sufficient to cover the Developer for time ($100 per hour) and expense already invested in the project, additional payment will be due. If additional payment is due, this will be billed to the Client within 10 days of notification via registered mail to stop work. Final payment will be expected under the same terms as listed in Article 24 above.

If your client does not like your work after the 3rd mockup then something must be drastically wrong with the communication. You should always have very full briefings of the project, your client should have been interviewed extensively. After this process you should understand what your clients needs are, and they should have conveyed them properly. You should never get to the point that a client doesn't like at least some aspects of your mockups. If they do like some aspects, then work from there.

03-19-2006, 07:16 PM
ACCTeam is offline ACCTeam
Software:

ACCTeam is on a distinguished road

Old

Hello,

Wow...I really like this forum. There is so much very useful info. Thanks for truly taking the time to help out a newbie on the scene.

The question I asked is not because I have the problem now, but more of a 'What If'. Taking this a step further,

Lets say after the 3rd or 4th revision, the client is still unhappy...how should you word it professionally to the client that the might be better with another designer???

Thanks

03-19-2006, 08:53 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

"included in the contract is a deailed project breakdown stating the number of projects (logo, web site etc are all seperate pieces of the global project) and included number of concepts and revision rounds that make up the estimated price.

further revision rounds or concept mock ups are available at prevailing studo rates of $price/hour."

if the contract originaly states they get 4 revision rounds, then they get 4 rounds to satisfy themselves. they bought 4, they got 4. if they want more, they have to pay more. just explain how the contract works - it'll vary from contract to contract - but the gist of it is this: you estimated $XXXX because it involved XX amount of work. if they wanted to stop after 2 revisions, they're welcome to and won't be charged for the other 2, lowering the estimated number, but obvously the design won't be enarly as effective. same thing for adding more on.

simple terms: if 4 revisions estiates out to $4000, 2 revisions would onl cost $2000 and 7 revisions will total $7000.

the number of rounds stated in the contract should just be what you feel is the best minimum number -> so every design should have at least 4 rounds.

Closed Thread