Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1368 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Unlimited bandwidth?

Thread title: Unlimited bandwidth?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
01-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Bazza`
rule number one, if a company is offering unlimited and unmetered bandwith dont choose them
exactly!

01-17-2005, 04:52 AM
x3knet is offline x3knet
Expertise:
Software:

x3knet is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to x3knet Send a message via MSN to x3knet Send a message via Yahoo to x3knet

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe
When hosts refer to "unlimited" bandwidth, they are simply stating that the amount of data transferred over a given unit of time is not restricted in the sense that you're limited to 20Gb per month, or whatever. It is obviously limited in terms of the physical connection that the server has to the internet but that is not what is in question here.

When people say that "unlimited bandwidth" is none existant, they're simply arguing semantics. There are other arguably more correct terms to use, but this one is most recognised as meaning that there is no limit per month (or day, week, whatever) enforced.
Well... now that's all cleared up... let's go out. heh.

01-17-2005, 09:52 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Well... now that's all cleared up... let's go out. heh.
Where you taking me?

01-21-2005, 01:56 AM
zidev is offline zidev
Software:

zidev is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to zidev Send a message via AIM to zidev Send a message via MSN to zidev Send a message via Yahoo to zidev

Old

Originally Posted by c130
The bandwidth may not be metered but the speed of the data transfer is likely to be much lower than regular metered bandwidth sites. So your visitors will be able to download as much as they like as long as they don't mind waiting about much longer for it to come.
I'm not sure how you can equate unmetered bandwidth with a slow connection. Unless your argument is that an unmetered host is one who runs their server off the DSL in their mamma's basement, I don't think it is a fair analysis.

We offer unmetered bandwidth on plans priced at $20 and up. We don't feel that it is seriously that big of deal at that price point. Six or seven $20 accounts would about pay for the server for a month. And I doubt that most web sites could use 95 GB of bandwidth or more in a month (based on a 500 GB server limit).

It is a gamble that you take as a web host, and if you get burnt, you will likely rethink the policy. The gamble will usually pay off, especially in the case I outlined above. I know many sites on dedicated servers "only" use fifty GB of bandwidth a month. The reason they decided to go dedicated was so they wouldn't have to deal with any other web sites in the event of huge traffic spikes (say 1000 concurrent visitors). Which is another part of the "unlimited"/unmetered gamble. For dynamic sites like message boards, the bandwidth may not burn as quickly as CPU cycles.

The way to be profitable is to utilize servers to the point where, well, they are profitable. But you also need to keep an eye on loads and other resource usages before you can conclude that there is a problem with any given buisness model.

I hope I haven't rambled too far, I have a tendency to do that unfortunately.
-- HW

01-21-2005, 09:50 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

And I doubt that most web sites could use 95 GB of bandwidth or more in a month (based on a 500 GB server limit).
What happens when they do?

01-22-2005, 06:35 PM
zidev is offline zidev
Software:

zidev is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to zidev Send a message via AIM to zidev Send a message via MSN to zidev Send a message via Yahoo to zidev

Old

Then we have oversold by underestimating the web site. But taking even a huge forum site like www.phpbb.com, which is estimated to use 60 GB of bandwidth per month into consideration, the CPU would probably croak before the bandwidth is used.

As I said, its a gamble. You have to be prepared to take action (such as temporarily moving a site to a dedicated server) if the need arises.

-- HW

01-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Jamesc is offline Jamesc
Software:

Jamesc is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
There is no such thing as unlimited

Why would you honestly need unlimited bandwidth anyway? I have 13gbs bandwidth and have managed to host a variety of sites, multimedia and this community and i'm using about 5gbs/month.

If you're looking for a large account then perhaps try hostrocket.com, they have cheap plans and are value for money!
Im hoping you ment GB of bandiwdth a month not 5gb a second

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2