Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1060 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Asking for a deposit.

Thread title: Asking for a deposit.
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
01-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Jono, I require a 33% deposit to be included with the signed and returned contract.

Originally Posted by jono1
For instance, if I begin a design but for one reason or another are unable to complete it, is the client within their rights to ask for a refund?
My answer to your first question, in my contract the initial deposit is non-refundable. This is because usually to get to the stage of a signed contract and initial basic concepts takes a long time. The research that goes into each client and subsequent interviews/meetings take a very significant amount of time. This time has to be billed.

Or, if halfway through the job the client decides to go with someone else do I have to refund them then, or am I entitled to keep the money because whether or not the site was finished I did do work on it?
My second answer would be "of course you keep the money!". It is not your fault and you shouldn't be penalised for a clients lack of committment. There is a cancellation clause in my contract that states the 33% deposit is kept by the Developer if the Client cancels or if the Developer cancels. There is also a possibility of additional costs to the lient in both cases when I have done more work than has been billed for up to that time.

My main concern in all this is if I do take the deposit and something like this does happen but I don't refund them, I don't want to be labelled a scammer simply because I want to be paid for the work I've already done.
The only people that would label you a scammer would be kids. If you have a contract then you and your client are protected. If you decide to get deposits and cancel projects with no thought of a refund then you are a scammer. Be reasonable, as I know the courts will find out if you are unreasonable. If you have done work and there is a cancellation by either party then you are entitled to payment.

01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
jhmattern is offline jhmattern
Expertise:
Software:

jhmattern is on a distinguished road

Old

Your best bet is to have a quality portfolio build up. Then charging a deposit carries at least slightly less risk, because your clients already have a great idea of your capabilities, and if they didn't like your work, they wouldn't hire you. It's not so much about "good" and "bad" clients, as making sure you spend enough time talking things out with them before they sign anything at all. If you're both confident that you're thinking along the same lines, you really know what your client wants, and they like your past work, having a non-refundable deposit isn't a problem. Of course, you should make occasional exceptions, such as if the client hated the results because of something that was quite honestly your own fault, or if you realize you've taken on a project that's more than you can chew. Every rule has exceptions, and it's about knowing when to use them, and knowing when to stand your ground. A good balance, good work, and understanding your clients will be your best chance of not getting labeled as a "scammer."

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2