Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1622 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

Some SEO Techniques

Thread title: Some SEO Techniques
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
05-18-2008, 03:28 PM
tanicos is offline tanicos
Software:

tanicos is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  Some SEO Techniques

hello

Here are some SEO advices for beginners i can say.

First of all i am in this field for over 3 years. I can say that i don't like the time spent and that's why i hired someone. But before that here is what i have manage to learn:

1. Link Directories - Good only for PR (google case)
Example: I paid about 300$ for links on many directories, on PR3-5 pages. All good. When google crawled some of them the PR went to 1 or 2.
Conclusion - Don't waist your time too much and especially the money on those.

2. Social Bookmarking - 100 digs for some pages
Example: I had a Web 2.0 Design Tutorial website and got about 100 digs for some articles, technorati, del.icio.us and so on.
When checking backlinks digg.com showed only 5 of them.
Conclusion - Pretty good but make sure your article is 110% original.

3. Article Submission - 20 articles on "famous" article directories
Example: As i was writing the tutorials i thought "let's publish them".
Backlinks - very few after so much work

4. Link Exchange websites - Paid about 50$/monthly for 3 link exchange websites.
Example: I added my website to this websites and received about 400 links every month. I added a link exchange script with the "nofollow" attribute ON. I even added the disallow rule in .htaccess. All good so far.
After 3 months i got about 10 emails from different people asking me to remove their links because their sites were banned from Google.
Conclusion: Don't do this kind of link exchange.REALLY DON'T. Your link will end on a 100 link page which of course will end to banning from Google and who knows others too.

5. Paid Traffic - About 50$/monthly for as they said " 3000 unique visitors"
Example - Because i did not had the time to surf other websites i paid for this services.
Conclusion: Google Analytics was telling me that from 3000 visitors/monthly i got only 200 from that site.
Alexa was the only one who showed that i had heavy traffic. But if you don't pay for 1 month the Alexa rank will go down too. Don't waist your time with this.

Now for the good things.

Don't know if i am allowed to say which software i used to SEO my websites but if an admin or moderator tells me i can..i will of course mention it's name. The license costs between 250$-450$ depending on your needs.
Believe me it's really unbelievable and you learn a lot of things from it.

1. Always or at least monthly change your website keywords positioning
2. Put h1-h4 tags on your website
3. Bold or underline your keywords and again change things on a regularly basis
4. For script users make your URLS search engine friendly
5. Try and write articles directly on your site and add a social bookmarking script for people to bookmark
6. If you do link exchange make sure the website topic is similar to yours and check their page source for the "nofollow" attribute. If it's there delete their link.
7. Create a google and yahoo sitemap and submit it.
8. Changing or adding Content regularly of your website is NO2.SEO RULE
9. the NO.1 SEO rule is to have patience. Really it is.

I just launched a template store and i can say that it's on top google and yahoo for 10 keywords from about 35 mil pages. And i did not even submit it to digg or had a link exchange with anybody..so far
There are plenty of other methods but these are the start ones.

If you find this useful please rate it.Thanks

05-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Blue Tongue is offline Blue Tongue
Software:

Blue Tongue is on a distinguished road

Old

This is Great!
Can you tell me:
What are the directories you WOULD recomend as being worth paying for?
(for example, I put my stuff in best of the web, and I think that was worth it)

05-26-2008, 05:48 AM
strikedata is offline strikedata
Expertise:
Software:

strikedata is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to strikedata

Old

Good stuff there. However, paid traffic will not help you in the SERPS. All the others will. You forgot good/unique content will also help

05-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Dan Schulz is offline Dan Schulz
Expertise:
Software:

Dan Schulz is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Dan Schulz Send a message via AIM to Dan Schulz

Old

Originally Posted by tanicos View Post
hello

Here are some SEO advices for beginners i can say.

First of all i am in this field for over 3 years. I can say that i don't like the time spent and that's why i hired someone. But before that here is what i have manage to learn:

1. Link Directories - Good only for PR (google case)
Example: I paid about 300$ for links on many directories, on PR3-5 pages. All good. When google crawled some of them the PR went to 1 or 2.
Conclusion - Don't waist your time too much and especially the money on those.
Directories are practically worthless anyway. They're good for when you're just getting started with a new site, but don't rely on them to be the Holy Grail of inbound links. Furthermore, they tend to contain so many links, have such poor internal architecture and linking structures anyway that whatever PageRank they do pass on tends to be weak to virtually non-existant anyway.

2. Social Bookmarking - 100 digs for some pages
Example: I had a Web 2.0 Design Tutorial website and got about 100 digs for some articles, technorati, del.icio.us and so on.
When checking backlinks digg.com showed only 5 of them.
Conclusion - Pretty good but make sure your article is 110% original.
Why bother wasting your time getting Diggs? Again, as far as the search engines are concerned, the links are going to be worthless anyway. All they'll do is bring you some traffic with that leaves as soon as it arrives anyway - and when you're trying to get your traffic to convert, having them leave will do two things and two things only - artificially inflate your bounce rates while decreasing your conversions/sales.

3. Article Submission - 20 articles on "famous" article directories
Example: As i was writing the tutorials i thought "let's publish them".
Backlinks - very few after so much work
Isn't duplicate content fun? Another reason not to use article submissions. If you do, just write a unique summary of the article for each site you're going to submit to and include a link to the full article on your site. Of course, the links still won't be worth much, but if the summaries are written properly and the summaries submitted to the proper and relevant sites, they can send you a deluge of highly qualified targeted traffic that can convert well (this doesn't happen as often as people think, though).

4. Link Exchange websites - Paid about 50$/monthly for 3 link exchange websites.
Example: I added my website to this websites and received about 400 links every month. I added a link exchange script with the "nofollow" attribute ON. I even added the disallow rule in .htaccess. All good so far.
After 3 months i got about 10 emails from different people asking me to remove their links because their sites were banned from Google.
Conclusion: Don't do this kind of link exchange.REALLY DON'T. Your link will end on a 100 link page which of course will end to banning from Google and who knows others too.
Another thing that should be common sense. Don't participate in link exchanges - especially site-wide ones. Instead, focus on getting quality relevant one-way incoming links pointing to your Web pages. It's not as hard as some people make it out to be.

5. Paid Traffic - About 50$/monthly for as they said " 3000 unique visitors"
Example - Because i did not had the time to surf other websites i paid for this services.
Conclusion: Google Analytics was telling me that from 3000 visitors/monthly i got only 200 from that site.
Alexa was the only one who showed that i had heavy traffic. But if you don't pay for 1 month the Alexa rank will go down too. Don't waist your time with this.
You forgot one other critical factor - that traffic is not targeted and is going to be about as welcome to your bottom line (read: your profit margin) as ants at a picnic, or Al Bundy anywhere in public (for the record, I am referring strictly to the character Al Bundy from the TV show "Married, With Children" here).

Now for the good things.

Don't know if i am allowed to say which software i used to SEO my websites but if an admin or moderator tells me i can..i will of course mention it's name. The license costs between 250$-450$ depending on your needs.
Believe me it's really unbelievable and you learn a lot of things from it.
I don't use software - I check everything manually. At least with my own sites anyway.

1. Always or at least monthly change your website keywords positioning
Twice a month is actually better, with a comprehensive review every three months.

2. Put h1-h4 tags on your website
Please, PLEASE, don't do this for SEO purposes. Instead, use them properly in full accordance with the HTML and XHTML specifications. Believe it or not, you'll find your rankings improve better if you use them properly than if you try to game and manipulate the search engines.

3. Bold or underline your keywords and again change things on a regularly basis
NO. Do not do this. It's not only bad for accessibility and usability, but can also dramatically increase your bounce rates as well - if you want to give your visitors the middle finger (or the thumbs up in Greece or Iran for example), by all means be my guest. If we're competitors, I'll gladly accept those visitors and their money with open arms.

4. For script users make your URLS search engine friendly
Or better yet, just use natural xHTML anchor elements and make sure you use mod_rewrite to parse dynamic URLs into a human-readable and friendly format.

5. Try and write articles directly on your site and add a social bookmarking script for people to bookmark
Be careful with how you do this. Whatever you do, do not write for the search engines.

6. If you do link exchange make sure the website topic is similar to yours and check their page source for the "nofollow" attribute. If it's there delete their link.
Or better yet, just don't engage in link exchanges. Get people to want to link back to you instead by providing quality content such as the article I just linked to above.

7. Create a google and yahoo sitemap and submit it.
There's no such thing as a "Google" or "Yahoo" Sitemap. There is however an XML sitemap that all the major search engines support these days, as well as a sitemap page that should be on all sites with more than just a handful of pages.

8. Changing or adding Content regularly of your website is NO2.SEO RULE
Actually the #2 rule is to be patient.

9. the NO.1 SEO rule is to have patience. Really it is.
Which means the number one rule is to build useful Web sites for people, not search engines.

I just launched a template store and i can say that it's on top google and yahoo for 10 keywords from about 35 mil pages. And i did not even submit it to digg or had a link exchange with anybody..so far
There are plenty of other methods but these are the start ones.
How long ago did you launch the site? Chances are good that Google and Yahoo simply haven't determined where to best place those pages on your site in their indexes yet.

05-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Mr_Kumar is offline Mr_Kumar
Software:

Mr_Kumar is on a distinguished road

Old

Nice post by OP and nice criticism by Dan.

I'll say doing all stuff mentioned by OP for your site is fine. But don't forget two things-- great quality content and good quality links. Quality links means links from within the content.

Link building methods mentioned by OP are going out dated and less useful. Now link bait is what next we have to adapt. And this is not a joke to do.

05-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Blue Tongue is offline Blue Tongue
Software:

Blue Tongue is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks - useful stuff

05-31-2008, 08:19 PM
havenalmighty is offline havenalmighty
Software:

havenalmighty is on a distinguished road

Old

good stuff. Thanks for sharing

06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Dulcepixels is offline Dulcepixels
Software:

Dulcepixels is on a distinguished road

Old

Interesting list... I'll take note on these.

06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
kimsonsolutions is offline kimsonsolutions
Software:

kimsonsolutions is on a distinguished road

Old

very nice and usefull post

the only thing i hear for the very first time is the monthly keywords change : what is the point of that as you work hard creating links for targeted keywords what is the point of doing that ??

thank you

06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
MrCat is offline MrCat
Software:

MrCat is on a distinguished road

Old

Monthly keywords change? Maybe this has something to do with varying anchor texts on you backlinks. Or are you referring to keywords on your pages?

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >