Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1465 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

Web Graphics Tips

Thread title: Web Graphics Tips
04-26-2009, 03:09 PM
domi is offline domi
Software:

domi is on a distinguished road

Old  Web Graphics Tips

Here are some Web graphics tips and techniques that help Virginia website design to create images that look good and are as compact as they can be. The most common graphics mistake people make on the Web is to use the wrong graphics format for their images. But the choice is really quite simple. If your graphics have a lot of colors (such as a photo), choose JPG. If your graphics have few colors, choose GIF.

When saving your work as a GIF file, use optimized palettes that contain only the colors used they can cut file sizes in half. Newer graphics software gives you a preview before you save this allows you to experiment with the number of colors to choose the best compromise between qualities and file size.

Compression and quality will vary from image to image, so when saving your work as a JPG file, experiment with various levels of compression to choose the best compromise between qualities and file size. Raising the JPG compression from 80 to 30 cuts file size in half, yet the loss of quality is not too obvious. Different programs use different numbers for JPG compression, but generally, the higher the number, the higher the quality and the bigger the file size.

One of the biggest ironies in Web development is that most of us creating Web sites have better systems than our audience has. Some visitors to your Web site are using computers that can only display 8-bit color (256 colors). Others have newer systems that include 16-bit or 32-bit video cards, but they don't even know they can check or change their settings from 8-bit! This means they can't see every color in the spectrum like you can, and that's where the Web safe colors come into play.

04-27-2009, 03:08 AM
icjackson is offline icjackson
Expertise:
Software:

icjackson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to icjackson

Old

Your last paragraph was pretty funny...and true! So, I liked the advice you gave about web safe colors. I like to use them anyway, but your practical advice leads me to stick to them more adamantly.

04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
audraoc is offline audraoc
Expertise:
Software:

audraoc is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by domi View Post
One of the biggest ironies in Web development is that most of us creating Web sites have better systems than our audience has. Some visitors to your Web site are using computers that can only display 8-bit color (256 colors). Others have newer systems that include 16-bit or 32-bit video cards, but they don't even know they can check or change their settings from 8-bit! This means they can't see every color in the spectrum like you can, and that's where the Web safe colors come into play.
Thanks for the tip

05-02-2009, 11:34 PM
sagaweb is offline sagaweb
Expertise:
Software:

sagaweb is on a distinguished road

Old

I also forget that some clients have much smaller screens. One client said "I thought you said I would be able to see the whole navigation menu without having to scroll down."
I went to his office, because I didn't understand the problem. He had an ancient CRT monitor, and had seven different types of crap toolbars on his Internet Explorer that took up half the tiny monitor real-estate.

web design

05-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Aadil is offline Aadil
Software:

Aadil is on a distinguished road

Old

what ever u said i do agree with that you're right but tell me one thing for designing which software is more useful in your opinion CORAL or PS CS4?

Cards & Games Shopping Directory | Body Arts Trade Suppliers Directory | Visual Arts Business Directory | Holidays Business Directory

05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
wvb is offline wvb
Software:

wvb is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to wvb

Old

Originally Posted by domi View Post
If your graphics have a lot of colors (such as a photo), choose JPG. If your graphics have few colors, choose GIF.
And what do you think of the PNG format?

05-08-2009, 11:10 AM
pebas is offline pebas
Expertise:
Software:

pebas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to pebas Send a message via Yahoo to pebas Send a message via Skype™ to pebas

Old

99% of web designers use PNG because of transparency mode.If they have some problems with IE they use some different plugins or IE hacks.I also use PNG format without any problem.