Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 561 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Actually SIGNING a contract?

Thread title: Actually SIGNING a contract?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
01-23-2007, 03:55 AM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

JamesH is on a distinguished road

Old  Actually SIGNING a contract?

Everybody says stuff about using a contract, but how do you physically SIGN a contract? Lets say I have a simple little $100 job, how would I go about getting a contract signed there? And what about for a $1000 job?

How many people have actually taken legal action? Just curious

01-23-2007, 03:59 AM
rasberry is offline rasberry
Expertise:
Software:

rasberry is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rasberry

Old

Well, if you can't hire a lawyer or write your own contract, download a template... print it... sign it... fax it.

01-23-2007, 04:00 AM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

But what if the client is under 18?

01-23-2007, 04:11 AM
rasberry is offline rasberry
Expertise:
Software:

rasberry is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rasberry

Old

Then I believe there is still applicable law for contracts. This, or get a parent signature, or then also a verbal contract should work.

01-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Jeff Andersen is offline Jeff Andersen
Software:

Jeff Andersen is on a distinguished road

Old

You can always have a co-signature, same thing goes for a credit card. Parent signature directly beside it shows that the adolescent that signed is taking responsibility and that they, the adult, will take responsibility in such a case where the adolescent doesn't

01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

For something of a low amount, I believe a simple contract agreed to, and signed by both parties is bounding enough.

01-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

As everyone else is saying, if the contract is with underaged people then get a parent/guardians co-signature, or simply do not deal with them.

I normally physically sign a contract with a primative tool called a pen, this is a writing implement that was in great use before the rise of the keyboard. It has sadly fallen into the place that most obsolete objects go, the trash can.

Seriously though, get a contract drafted, check out my sample one in the stickied thread at the top of this forum, get a lawyer to briefly look over it (might cost $200-$300 or so, but it's worth it and long lasting). Print it out twice (copy for you, copy for them), sign both of them and send them (or fax) to your client. Get your client to sign both copies and return one to you (via fax or a pre paid envelope). Done!

The one or two dollars I spend in postage/printing is more than worth the security I have with clients. Plus I also have a physical address or an actual fax number, which can be traced if I need to send debt collectors (never happened yet )

01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Thanks guys. All in all it seems like a contract is useless, because people can just run over you in the end. If it costs $200-$300 just for a lawyer to LOOK over a contract, then how much would it cost to get the lawyer to take action if you get screwed over?

Although this is something I'm not proud of, I haven't quite reached the sector of clients that have experience with contracts. I hate the fact that while I'm working, I know that the client could just blow me off, and I'm left defenseless. And of course, I know that you need to take a deposit. But the client can just run over to the forums and ruin a designers reputation in a matter of minutes.

Maybe I should only do local work? But who wants to work with a kid on such a significant part of there business. What to do, what to do...

01-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

The $200-$300 has covered my contract for a number of years now. So it's a good investment.

I send contracts out for small projects, the smallest has been for a $67 project. I also send out appendices to my current contracts if clients need/want changes to the originals.

The thing with contracts is it puts you in the "serious" league, a contract is nothing to be taken lightly, it is legally binding. I am not here to be ripped off, my time is valuable to me and my family. If someone doesn't want to work with me because of a contract, then I would fire them on the spot (this has never happened).

01-24-2007, 01:31 AM
resolva is offline resolva
Software:

resolva is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to resolva

Old

JamesH i see what you are saying. If you found someone on here who wanted a design completed and you made them sign a contract. Even if they took the design and never paid you, what would you do about it? Would you actually take them to court etc? I highly doubt it.

This is why I don't understand why contracts work in these situations.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >