Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2072 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Marketplace     Contest's Forum     Completed Contests :

$50 Lyrics Site Logo

Thread title: $50 Lyrics Site Logo
Closed Thread  
Page 6 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
02-22-2007, 03:25 AM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

Chill out guys... why jump all over him before you heard his side?

Ever hear of a thing called "real life"? Maybe some of you should try it sometime.

02-22-2007, 03:30 AM
jjmac is offline jjmac
Software:

jjmac is on a distinguished road

Old

You don't consider hiring a designer for a company logo a part of "real life"?

Whether the medium is a phone, a meeting, or the internet it doesn't matter. The responsibility here has been dropped, and it's not uncommon.

A lot of people here could benefit greatly from reading the link I posted earlier. Learn how to sell yourself, your services, and your time and with the talent I've seen on this forum most people could be making 10 times what they are currently bringing in.... Easily.

In a way, I'm jealous I have the business knowledge to do very well, but my raw talent and skill is below a great deal of people here, most of whom are half my age.

02-22-2007, 03:39 AM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

It's only been 1 day past the deadline. I hardly see how the "responsibility here has been dropped" if you don't give them some slack. Something could've come up, like it does every so often.

02-22-2007, 05:26 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by jjmac View Post
You don't consider hiring a designer for a company logo a part of "real life"?

Whether the medium is a phone, a meeting, or the internet it doesn't matter. The responsibility here has been dropped, and it's not uncommon.

A lot of people here could benefit greatly from reading the link I posted earlier. Learn how to sell yourself, your services, and your time and with the talent I've seen on this forum most people could be making 10 times what they are currently bringing in.... Easily.

In a way, I'm jealous I have the business knowledge to do very well, but my raw talent and skill is below a great deal of people here, most of whom are half my age.
Precisely, I have the same sentiments Josh. Hence the reson why I never enter contests, or short sell myself in the Marketplace.

I also lack the pure, raw talent that a lot of members here possess, but the same as you I have good business skills. I'm also an older bugger

If you don't like the lack of results here, then don't enter contests.

The staff will be cracking down hard on contest holders, now and in the future.

02-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Originally Posted by jjmac View Post

Pfft... I look at business savvy people and think the same =p

02-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Dream is offline Dream
Expertise:
Software:

Dream is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Dream

Old

Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Precisely, I have the same sentiments Josh. Hence the reson why I never enter contests, or short sell myself in the Marketplace.

I also lack the pure, raw talent that a lot of members here possess, but the same as you I have good business skills. I'm also an older bugger

If you don't like the lack of results here, then don't enter contests.

The staff will be cracking down hard on contest holders, now and in the future.
Who said old dogs cant learn new tricks?

Yeah, I think you should do what Sitepoint does? and set a payment upfront to avoid any thing like this.

02-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Shanks is offline Shanks
Software:

Shanks is on a distinguished road

Old

Sitepoint is still plagued with abandoned / canceled contests. Sadly, I know from experience.

02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Gonzalo is offline Gonzalo
Software:

Gonzalo is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gonzalo

Old

Talking by my personal experience, contests have helped me to make new clients, and some of them have become very good and keep hiring me.
It is true that the risk exists but if you do this as an extra and not as your main business, it is something you can deal with.
Also if your design is not chosen you can use it some other time or sell it somewhere else.
A solution could be that TF receives the money before the contest starts and in case there is no winner, that money can be used to promote internal contests or maintenance.
Just ideas

02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

There are a whole raft of legal reasons why TalkFreelance would consider against holding on to peoples' money temporarily during a contest -- those reasons prevented us at yaxay (yonks ago) from doing the same. It's just way too much work for keeping hold of $50 during the length of a contest.

That said, if you guys find a nice easy way of doing it (whilst protecting yourselves, contest holders and contest participants alike) then it would in theory be a great boost for the contests here.

I just had to smile to myself when Julian said, "the reson [sic] why I never enter contests, or short sell myself in the Marketplace." Just seemed to be some interesting words from the bloke at the top.

P.S. Sorry for the off-topic sort of post in this guy's contest topic.z

02-22-2007, 08:10 PM
jjmac is offline jjmac
Software:

jjmac is on a distinguished road

Old

That's easy enough. Just require a contest holder to show proof of money through a service such as escrow.com.

Better yet, encourage contest holders to back up their contest with a service like escrow.com, and encourage forum members not to compete in a contest unless they have a service like that which will guarantee that at least one person will get the money.

This takes 100% responsibility off of talkfreelance.

Seeing the quality of work from previous contests and this one, there should be absolutely no reason someone should have reservations about sinking $50 down on a guaranteed logo from here, unless the contest holder's plan from the beginning was simply to steal a logo or idea.

Closed Thread  
Page 6 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >