Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1391 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

How much do you charge?

Thread title: How much do you charge?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
02-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Every damn time these threads start up everybody puts on their "bad for the industry" hat on. Usually it's me, but lets step back in this case and look at the thread title:

' How much do you charge? '

It's a simple question to stimulate conversation on personal pricing. Nobody has to justify themselves.

02-01-2006, 09:55 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

kork is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm just curious? I'd love to know how some can afford to do web design for such a low rate? Maybe I'm doing something wrong???

02-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Or maybe difference is what makes the world go round

02-01-2006, 10:03 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

kork is on a distinguished road

Old

Knowledge is power. Just curious if the $15/hour freelancers use industry standard software or if they charge $15 an hour for simple html and Basic css design? If so, that's cool.

At least they don't use the same tools I do. Photoshop, Flash, Director, After Effects is a few thousands dollars and adds up pretty fast.

Using the expensive software properly is how I justify my rates and my clients understand that.

02-01-2006, 10:10 PM
MattL is offline MattL
Expertise:
Software:

MattL is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to MattL

Old

Originally Posted by kork
Knowledge is power. Just curious if the $15/hour freelancers use industry standard software or if they charge $15 an hour for simple html and Basic css design? If so, that's cool.

At least they don't use the same tools I do. Photoshop, Flash, Director, After Effects is a few thousands dollars and adds up pretty fast.

Using the expensive software properly is how I justify my rates and my clients understand that.
Most people I have seen that charge $15/Hour use primarily Photoshop which they can get a good deal with student prices. I have never seen anyone who uses PS, Flash, AE, etc charge $15/Hour, and if so it would be a stupid decision on their part.

Honestly though, I see no way that arguing about how much other people charge for freelance design will put you any further ahead than the next person.

02-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Jamie is offline Jamie
Software:

Jamie is on a distinguished road

Old

Well though this is a good discussion I'm much to tired to get into it so. I usally charge around 60$ per hour, but then again is depends on the project.

02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
schroder is offline schroder
Software:

schroder is on a distinguished road

Old

I've always found charges awkward because I have no problem charging $55 (an hour) for doing computer repair (which I used to do) because that is normal over here, but I can't see myself charging $55 (per hour) for creating a website driven by basic technologies (html, mySQL, php, XML, CSS, etc.).

At one point I charged $15, and then went to $25. I am still sticking around that, but I quote for my projects now and that is not like charging hourly.
Like what Tycho said it depends on the project too. Different clients have different needs and expectations.

I think its a good point asking how to afford software expenses and such. I'm actually running into that problem right now.

I think a lot of work fields face this problem and I don't see how it will change.

One point this makes me think of though is if you are employed under a business you get a raise for your improvements and doing a good job (for me it was a yearly revie). Even though you are the boss I think the same applies. After all taking on new projects you are not the same programmer you were a month ago.

By the way. I'm envious of the younger programmers out there. I wish I would have been making money programming that early.

Anyway, that is my 2.99 cents.

02-02-2006, 12:22 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I never charged by the hour when I did design but I wouldn't want to work for less than £20/hour now.

02-02-2006, 04:59 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

$100 NZD/hour, which I think is at the lower end of the scale.

There is some good discussion in here, no-one is perfectly correct.

kork, you need to understand that it isn't all kids in here, there are some older members. Also you need to consider that some of the youngsters have more experience than supposedly more mature people.

Now, as for pricing, kids can afford to charge $10-$15/hour because they have ZERO overheads. They are lowering the pricing for the whole industry, so what? It just means they can sell budget work to budget buyers. Not everyone can afford a $7200 website.

As for software, I began many years ago with Ulead's PhotoImpact. This retailed at $240 NZD which is very affordable. It can do almost everything Photoshop can do and is much more cost effective. I now own Photoshop CS which cost $2200 NZD and I think it has only slightly enhanced the quality of my work, plus it is slower to work with. I also purchased Illustrator 9 for $100 from a friend who had upgraded, I was lucky to get a legit copy at such a low price. Everything else I use is free open source. So you can set up a good basic web design software package for $350.

Also consider the fact that there are probably a lot of kids out there who are using pirated software, I don't have a problem with this as I began this way as well. I went legit when I gained a broader understanding of how business works.

With pirated software and the possibility of getting $10 for doing something you enjoy while living off Mum and Dad, why not??? If I was a kid I wouldn't care about older designers whining about lowering the industry rates, all I would care about is the short term and how much money I can make NOW.

If you don't wish to be a part of this forum then it is your loss. There are a great many talented people in here, and probably a lot of young people you could learn from (if you could lower yourself enough)

02-02-2006, 05:29 AM
primevector is offline primevector
Expertise:
Software:

primevector is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to primevector

Old

I charge between $30 to about $80 ... it differs per client and assignment.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >