Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 750 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Increasing Hard drive space / premmisions

Thread title: Increasing Hard drive space / premmisions
Closed Thread    
04-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Killer is offline Killer
Software:

Killer is on a distinguished road

Old  Increasing Hard drive space / premmisions

Hi, I have a few problems i figured someone here could help me out with
First I have an hp laptop, my C drive can hold up to 80gb, and since it's hp, i have another drive called "Data" and it can hold up to 93gb. the thing is that the data drive is almost completely empty. I'm wondering if I can somehow change it so the data drive space is lower and the c drive space is higher?
If so, is there a program i need to do so?

Another problem i'm having is accessing my Documents and Settings folder. Ever since I upgraded to vista the computer tells me that I do no have permission to view that folder.... huh? I'm the admin and the only acount on this computer, how can this be solved?

Thanks in advance!!

04-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Haris is offline Haris
Software:

Haris is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Hi, I have a few problems i figured someone here could help me out with
First I have an hp laptop, my C drive can hold up to 80gb, and since it's hp, i have another drive called "Data" and it can hold up to 93gb. the thing is that the data drive is almost completely empty. I'm wondering if I can somehow change it so the data drive space is lower and the c drive space is higher?
If so, is there a program i need to do so?

Another problem i'm having is accessing my Documents and Settings folder. Ever since I upgraded to vista the computer tells me that I do no have permission to view that folder.... huh? I'm the admin and the only acount on this computer, how can this be solved?

Thanks in advance!!
Safe mode can help you to sort out your permissions.

04-13-2007, 11:06 PM
sketchie is offline sketchie
Software:

sketchie is on a distinguished road

Old

I don't think you can simply make one higher and one lower unless it's partitioned (and not two seperate drives).

If it is partitioned then get some partitioning software to do it, this will require a complete wipe of your data and a fresh install of Windows though...

My Laptop has two drives which I can freely swap files between, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to on your HP

04-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

First off, it doesn't sound like you need to partition your hard drive. From what you are saying it looks like you just need to start storing some data in your Data drive. Consider using that for storing stuff you don't use regularly.

Second off, I don't see what the point is for you to increase the size of your C drive. 80gb is way more than enough (I have just under 5gb). You probably need to learn to store your little used information on your data drive, not all in the C drive. So, learn how to install programs and games in your data drive, don't install everything in your C drive, move all your little used data (movies/music etc) to your data drive.

If you did decide to partition your hard drive you don't need special partitioning software, but it can make it easier.

To do all this you'll be wiping your hard drive clean.

Simply run the fdisk utility, which should be on your windows boot disk. Then create a primary dos partition, then a secondary partition with logical drives. Your primary dos partition should be your C (windows) drive, secondary dos partition contains all your other drives within the logical drives you'll create.

After that you'll have to format your newly created partitions, then install your operating system of choice.

Please note, i'm no expert on this subject, you'll have to wait for Blue Ire's professional input.

04-14-2007, 07:17 PM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I think you have a 200gig hdd. I've never heard of any name brand having 2 hdds

Closed Thread