Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 742 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Space Issue

Thread title: Space Issue
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Go through the entire folder, it is generally rubbish temporary files contained in there.

You can remove all contents of History, Temp and Temporary Internet Files safely.

Then check the properties of each folder in the Applications folder, if any are showing the large file size let us know in here before you delete it. Most of these folders contain important settings information for your installed software programs. The identities folder contains any outlook emails etc. So be very careful removing any of these folders.

04-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Josh.UK is offline Josh.UK
Expertise:
Software:

Josh.UK is on a distinguished road

Old

What Julian said is the best, though it wont clear up THAT much.

You would really be best in getting an External HDD, you can get a Western Digital 250GB one for about £50 nowadays.

04-09-2007, 01:03 AM
no2mro is offline no2mro
Expertise:
Software:

no2mro is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to no2mro

Old

I tend to format my computer every 6 months, you'd be suprised how much crap you can collect within that time.

If you want to buy a second hard drive, try www.lacie.com for an external drive. They're real fast and work well with macs and pcs.

04-09-2007, 05:58 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Josh.UK View Post
What Julian said is the best, though it wont clear up THAT much.

You would really be best in getting an External HDD, you can get a Western Digital 250GB one for about £50 nowadays.
I beg to differ, it can clear up a lot of space. If he has 14gb of crap in his local folders he has a seriously huge amount of crap on his computer!

I have only allowed a total of 5gb of hard drive capacity for Windows XP Pro on my C drive. This has been perfectly fine for the last 3 years with no reformat, no major clean up.

Currently my entire documents and settings folder is at 675mb of useage. And half of it is located on my D drive.

Buying a new hard drive will only mean you don't learn to keep your computer clean and tidy. You have to treat your hard drive the same way you would treat a car, it needs regular maintenance and cleaning. It needs to be set up properly to work best. If you fill your car up with crap it doesn't mean you should go out and buy a trailer to tow so you can store more crap.

Learn how to maintain your computer and you'll appreciate your computer a lot more. My PC is over 6 years old now, and still running perfectly with all of it's original components. Call it a dinosaur p.o.s, but it works well, is faster than most PC's bought from the stores nowdays, all because I have maintained it well. Then set up a rig that runs Linux

04-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Julian View Post
My PC is over 6 years old now, and still running perfectly with all of it's original components. Call it a dinosaur p.o.s, but it works well, is faster than most PC's bought from the stores nowdays, all because I have maintained it well. Then set up a rig that runs Linux
Over 6 years old and out performs most new PCs? Did you slip and hit your head? That would make it what, a Pentium 3 - maybe a 4 or a K6-2?? And it out performs the Core2Duo (top selling cpu right now)?? I think not.

04-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Garrett is offline Garrett
Software:

Garrett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garrett

Old

Blue is officially back! haha

04-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Blue Ire View Post
Over 6 years old and out performs most new PCs? Did you slip and hit your head? That would make it what, a Pentium 3 - maybe a 4 or a K6-2?? And it out performs the Core2Duo (top selling cpu right now)?? I think not.
I never realised the Core2Duo was the top seller in my region. It may be so in the States, but not here. My PC runs faster than the new store bought PC's that I have seen lately, admittedly none were core2duos, but there were some supposedly fast P4's there that ran like pieces of crap. All due to the bloated rubbish the stores add onto the OS's and the lack of optimisation. Also a lot of my PC repair clients add so much crap to their PC's that they also run like crap in a very short time.

Blue Ire, we don't all have the ultimate PC specs, but some of us on older systems really know how to get the most out of them, so much so that they perform better than some of this modern rubbish.

No doubt if I had a Core2duo, or even a faster P4, I would have it running sweeter than any store bought and installed OS's/PC's, but I don't. We aren't all that priveledged.

This thread is all about a member that is having problems with a bloated Local Settings folder, I was simply offering advice, and explaining that upgrading your HDD will not resolve the issues. I then proceeded to give some info on one of my setups, to highlight the fact you don't need the latest/biggest hardware for your system to run effectively. What have you got to offer this member for advice? Or are you simply here to run down someone who has spent the time to offer help and advice?

04-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old

Where in your post does it say "in your region"? - It didn't. And even if it did, it's still the top selling CPU. You qualify an awful lot of your responses with "not in my country". Example - LCDs out sell CRTs... "Not in my country!".
Blue Ire, we don't all have the ultimate PC specs, but some of us on older systems really know how to get the most out of them, so much so that they perform better than some of this modern rubbish.
No doubt if I had a Core2duo, or even a faster P4, I would have it running sweeter than any store bought and installed OS's/PC's, but I don't. We aren't all that priveledged.
+
I am now involved with the local tourism coordinator, local graphic designers and local schools. Looking at making at least $12,000+ this month (as my hobby).
from http://talkfreelance.com/thread35382.html

I don't want to hear about "you not being that privileged". You claim you make 12k per month on your "hobby" - if you are making 12k a month you certainly can't complain about being broke - one way or the other.

I don't care if you spent 4 hours typing your response and 'advice'. It was bad advice and doesn't actually solve the problem in the long run. Most people don't have a 6 GB partition just for windows; and even if they did it's pointless to partition just for Windows when you don't run another OS. Even if he managed to clear up that space if he installs one more game or 4 more large apps, he is out of space again. A new drive is a perfectly logical choice - anything less than 250 GB is too small for a desktop if that's your only drive. Even my parents have filled their 500 GB pretty nicely.

You seem to have a very high horse and that everyone should do as you do. I suppose we could all be using 15'in CRTs on 7 year old rigs with perfectly partitioned harddrives... Where is the fun in being lame though?

And finally.. "Currently my entire documents and settings folder is at 675mb of useage. And half of it is located on my D drive."

You CANNOT split the location of your 'Documents and Settings" folder between two drives... Maybe computers work differently in 'Zealand.

04-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Josh.UK is offline Josh.UK
Expertise:
Software:

Josh.UK is on a distinguished road

Old

Burrrrneddd

But yeah, respect what you are saying Julian, but there is no way your computer (if every component in it is 6 years old) will out perform any computer mid-range and above bought in the past year. Just look at Moores law 6 Years ago P4 was just about to come out, P3 was still mainstream and we are now moving onto dual core being standard with quad core easily available to those who want it. Not to mention RAM nowadays is far far superior to RAM of let alone 6 years ago, but even 2 - 3 years.

As for me, both my desktop computers have 320GB of space each and my laptop only has 80GB, although my laptop is used for work & music mainly...a few films and TV shows. So i can just about survive on 80GB, buts its tight. I'll be buying a 250GB external some time soon i know that much.

04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Xuxa is offline Xuxa
Expertise:
Software:

Xuxa is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Xuxa

Old

I just bought http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10387 the 250GB model from TigerDirect.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >