Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1294 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Coding - How Much To Pay?

Thread title: Coding - How Much To Pay?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
01-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old  Coding - How Much To Pay?

Hey, not sure if this is the right forum or not but its about coding so i guess so

Anyway im just wonder, what is the kind of price range for having the following PSD's coded:
  • VB Forum Skin
  • Website coded into css, to work in all browsers
  • Website coded into CMS with standard features plus 'integrated' with VB forum

I have a few future plans which might need these services, im not sure what the standard price range would be. . . i wouldn't want to pay a small amount because obviously it wouldn't be done properly but ofcourse i don't want to be ripped off at the same time - anyone had any work like this done recently?

01-13-2005, 07:16 PM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

Originally Posted by Bazza`
Hey, not sure if this is the right forum or not but its about coding so i guess so

Anyway im just wonder, what is the kind of price range for having the following PSD's coded:
  • VB Forum Skin
  • Website coded into css, to work in all browsers
  • Website coded into CMS with standard features plus 'integrated' with VB forum

I have a few future plans which might need these services, im not sure what the standard price range would be. . . i wouldn't want to pay a small amount because obviously it wouldn't be done properly but ofcourse i don't want to be ripped off at the same time - anyone had any work like this done recently?
I usually plan stuff on how long it takes me to create it, so I know that I've spent my time well. Your best bet is to try and compete with other websites though, and if you're going to make vBulletin skins, make sure that you do it regularly, and always include your link on the pages.

01-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

For all that...probally 100 USD. It would take a while. I don't know, that's just my guess.

01-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

sorry i dont think i explained it too well

each of the three bullet points is a differnt job, so the average price for having a PSD coded, average price for having a forum skin coded and average price for having a CMS coded. . .

im guessing for a site to be fully validated i would be talking around $100 and probably $100 to have a forum skin coded but i have no clue how much a CMS could cost. . .

01-13-2005, 11:04 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Ok Bazza, based on my experience here are the current rates you would expect to pay for a decent coding job.

VB Forum Skin = $200
Website coded into css, to work in all browsers = $100
Website coded into CMS = $500

Regards

01-13-2005, 11:31 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Remix
For all that...probally 100 USD. It would take a while. I don't know, that's just my guess.
doing it for free is a better deal in comparison.

01-14-2005, 12:47 AM
karl472001 is offline karl472001
Software:

karl472001 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to karl472001

Old

I usually start at $50 for CSS coding.

As for the VB Skinning and CMS, I am not sure, as I have not done any client work doing that yet.

01-14-2005, 01:21 AM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by theory
doing it for free is a better deal in comparison.
Hey there! I don't know, it was just an estimate. Personally I code all my pages my self so it's pretty hard to estimate what someone else would. I'm sure you could find someone to do it for 100USD, but it wouldn't be ready fast, and probally have a few errors, but if you have any knowlege with the language you could correct it.

01-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Chris Gwynne is offline Chris Gwynne
Expertise:
Software:

Chris Gwynne is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Chris Gwynne Send a message via MSN to Chris Gwynne Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Gwynne

Old

My prices?

I don't skin a vB for under $350. Don't work on website coding for under $200 and don't work on a CMS for under $500.

01-14-2005, 12:45 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Remix
Hey there! I don't know, it was just an estimate. Personally I code all my pages my self so it's pretty hard to estimate what someone else would. I'm sure you could find someone to do it for 100USD, but it wouldn't be ready fast, and probally have a few errors, but if you have any knowlege with the language you could correct it.
$100 US would be a complete ripoff for a forum design+coding, css orianted design - the more graphics, the harder it is to work flawlessly through all browsers - and a cms. personally, doing it for free would be less patronizing than for $100.

how many hours do you think would go into that? first you have to design the forum skin. depending on the graphics/customization requirements that can range from 1-30 hours - you're designing everything, even down to the private messages. then, you have to implement it. i haven't tried a vb3, but vb2 was medicore. once you got the hang of it, it wasn't too hard, but the new ipb which seems like a direct cpy of vb3 was a complete nightmate, so i can imaging another 30 + for a complete implementation of a decent skin.

css is a tricky thing. it's simple to write and understand, but it has its quirks. things will display right in IE but not in FF and vise versa. then you have to take other browsers into consideration. if you don't spend your time checking updates in every browser you have as you build them - thus slowing your production time - you'll have to start over halfway through because there's no qick fix and it'd be the fastest route. There's another 5-10 hours per tamplate - not all pages have the same set up, some far completely different. for exampple, a portfolio page won't look like a services page, so there's @ least another 3-5 hours ontop of your original time.

then the ever loves cms. depending on the comlexity of it, it can go from a few hours to a few weeks. a full blown admin system with users and sessions and the complete deal could take a long time, unless you've got previous files you can recycle, so you'ree looking @ at least roughly 100 more.

if someone contracted yo for that, starting from screatch (no resued files) you're looking at the average of 100-175 hours depending on your knoweldge of each piece - IE php, css, html, photoshop, anything else.

so if you like working for $1/ hour or less, you can go charge $100 as a final price, but i'd feel less insulted if i just gave it away.

people need to know why they're charging what they are. $100 sounds like you just picked it out of your ass and put no real thought into it. as a client, i'd take my business elsewhere and i imagine most would also.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >