Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1069 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Grants

Thread title: Grants
Closed Thread    
12-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Refekt is offline Refekt
Expertise:
Software:

Refekt is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Refekt Send a message via MSN to Refekt

Old  Grants

Well now I'm enrolled and going to college now. I have to find me a way to pay for this. I've been looking around on www.fastweb.com and I don't really see any that would be applicable to me.

I was just wondering if anyone know of any other sites, ways, etc to get grants/scholarships?

Thanks.

12-18-2004, 10:37 PM
cnv is offline cnv
Software:

cnv is on a distinguished road

Old

Can't you get a Student Loan ? Dunno if its the same as Canada but here the goverment can give you a student loan.. banks do that aswell

12-19-2004, 03:18 AM
Refekt is offline Refekt
Expertise:
Software:

Old

See, I have a student loan, but I'm trying to get money to pay that off. I'm loaning about 39k$ for two years, so I have to repay that. :/

12-19-2004, 05:24 AM
x3knet is offline x3knet
Expertise:
Software:

x3knet is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to x3knet Send a message via MSN to x3knet Send a message via Yahoo to x3knet

Old

FastWebs has been a besutiful thing for me. I have won 2 contests for scholarship and I will be using them next year when I graduate in 2006. I won the Discover Card essay and some essay on concrete. I have $7500 in scholarships right now.

FastWebs helps A LOT. You just need to have the right stats on your SAT/ACT and a nice high GPA.

12-19-2004, 05:53 AM
Legendary is offline Legendary
Software:

Legendary is on a distinguished road

Old

39K for 2 years, what college or university are you going to?

Oh yeah, check with your university financial aid office. They should have all the information you need on getting loans, grands, and or scholarships. But its kinda late now if you want to apply for scholarship. The best thing you could do is to study hard, and be on the dean list for 3 consecutive semesters. The school will grand you a couple of thousand a semester or year depending on the university you're attending. Getting scholarships while you are in college is very hard...so good luck with that!!

Tip if you're just getting started: DO NOT TAKE HARD CLASSES!!! YOUR FIRST YEAR IN COLLEGE SHOULD BE THE YEAR FOR YOU TO BUILD A STABLE HIGH GPA!!!! I took a bunch of science classes and it was tough....

12-19-2004, 06:22 AM
x3knet is offline x3knet
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via AIM to x3knet Send a message via MSN to x3knet Send a message via Yahoo to x3knet

Old

Yeah... colleges around here give you core classes that are required for your freshman year. You only take one class that reflects your intended major. After the freshman year, then you're good to go.

12-19-2004, 03:43 PM
patrickPaul is offline patrickPaul
Expertise:
Software:

patrickPaul is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to patrickPaul Send a message via MSN to patrickPaul Send a message via Yahoo to patrickPaul

Old

x3knet,

So you're looking to get a scholarship so you don't have to spend the money you're getting from your loan and so you can hand it right back to them?

Perhaps you can try a combination of scholarship/financial aids and... getting a job? I know people who work part time with college life (remember, you're only in your freshman year so you're still on General Ed) and use that to maintain a steady job. You're in Nebraska, shouldn't be too hard to find a good job where you can put in about 20-30 hours a week.

25 hours a week * $10/hr = $250 - tax = ~$200 * 35wks/yr = $7,000 a year * 2 years = $14,000 to help your debt...

And now imagine that equation working at some part-time office gig with $12/hr plus bonus overtime, and 40 weeks a year (You should keep to <3-5 hours a day during the week, and 8 on weekends). This last situation would nearly double the situation before.

And yes, I know someone who did roughly just this to pay back a college loan and he's now finished with his Bachelors and going towards his Masters in Computer Science.
Regards,
Patrick

12-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Refekt is offline Refekt
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Tip if you're just getting started: DO NOT TAKE HARD CLASSES!!! YOUR FIRST YEAR IN COLLEGE SHOULD BE THE YEAR FOR YOU TO BUILD A STABLE HIGH GPA!!!! I took a bunch of science classes and it was tough....
I'm in a program, the classes are already picked out. And, I'm going to ITT Techinical Institute.

x3knet,

Pat, that was me ^_^. Anyways, right now I have a job. It's bad but it's something. 5.75/hr - 8-12hrs a week. I'm still looking for a better paying job, now, but until then this is what I have.

I'd be paying it alone, sine my parents have no money. So grants/sholarships would really help me out.

12-20-2004, 02:18 AM
x3knet is offline x3knet
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yeah, I only get paid $6.175/hour and get about 30 hours a week at a sporting goods store I work at... it's still money...

12-20-2004, 10:33 PM
karl472001 is offline karl472001
Software:

karl472001 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to karl472001

Old

My only [paying] job is freelance web design.

Refket: http://studentaid.ed.gov/ I haven't really looked into it much, but it may help.

Closed Thread