Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1330 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

Contests forum removal

Thread title: Contests forum removal
Closed Thread    
11-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Jeff Andersen is offline Jeff Andersen
Software:

Jeff Andersen is on a distinguished road

Old  Contests forum removal

Contest forum removal

Due to historical snags when trying to manage member run contests the staff has decided to remove the contests forum. A major decrease in contest activity and participation was also a cause for this removal.

Should you like to run a contest, you can put your thread within the Other Offers/Requests forum for now. If you decide to post such a contest, guidelines will be up to the thread starter and will not be managed by Talk Freelance staff (this includes disputes).

Regards,
Your Talk Freelance staff

11-20-2007, 05:58 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

What???

Instead of throwing this one into the marketplace, how about someone takes the bull by the horns and makes this an amazing place!!!

Contests are huge in other communities, and you are removing them from here?

All you need is one or two members of staff to work solely on this forum. Get them to develop it and advertise/market it through the rest of the site. Get them to work out some rock solid ground rules and make sure all members adhere to the strictly. Make it fun.

Build that front page portal I keep talking about again and again, and have a special section in it for current contests. Get that newsletter running and advertise contests.

Just do something about it, don't just bury it, that's what losers would do.

11-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Instead of throwing this one into the marketplace, how about someone takes the bull by the horns
I don't think anyone in the current staff team has either the time (that generally seems to be the excuse, "real life") or the willingness to push the contests here into something exemplary. If I'm mistaken, great and I wish whoever it is (or they are) best of luck.

Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Build that front page portal I keep talking about again and again, and have a special section in it for current contests. Get that newsletter running and advertise contests.
I'm sure a portal environment for the front page would help to filter and feed people into interesting areas of the site rather than just presenting a huge list of forums. Highlighting contests in this area would, theoretically, help the situation with that particular aspect of the site (which doesn't exist any more). My main reason for replying to this topic however was to highlight the point made about a newsletter. There is one forum that I only visit because I get an email every Sunday at midnight detailing things that are happening on that site. I visit here a lot, but even so a weekly email about the interesting goings on would help me and the thousands of others who visit here (or don't but an email newsletter would prompt them to visit).

11-20-2007, 04:32 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

What a bit chunk of a potential growing forum to take out, as stated above, contests are what make forums and push them forward. I guess it's one less thing to worry about to moderate.

11-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

I think when the smaller problems of the forum are worked out, a contest forum would be superb. Until then, no thank you.

Good decision by the staff IMO

11-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

There really was zero demand for the contest forum anyway, most people who wanted a contest (which aren't as popular as they once were) will only hold a contest if they don't have to pick a winner - we are here for the benefit of freelancers and I don't think implementing that stance would be a benefit to our freelancers here at all...

The simple fact is if someone wants to hold a contest they will go to Sitepoint where there is a larger audience and where they won't be forced to pick a winner.

It's not giving up on the forum but why put time and effort into a forum that TalkFreelance has no demand for when we have more pressing things to be concerned with?

As you might remember Julian I was a massive fan of the contests section at TalkFreelance, I loved it so this is the last thing I wanted to see happen but it's time has been and gone - if the demand for it came back in time then it can always be re-introduced

11-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

For the time being (till we grow), this is a good idea.

Closed Thread