Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1164 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion     Member Introductions :

Thread title: newbie
11-17-2012, 08:24 PM
mr.savalas is offline mr.savalas
Expertise: none
Software: firefox

mr.savalas is on a distinguished road

Old  newbie

Didn't know if I should post here or not. I saw the introduction thread closed. Thought I would give it a try. Actually I've been interested in HTML or being a Web Master for some time. I also am looking for a new business venture. I thought maybe learning HTML and selling my services might be a good venture. So in a nut shell is there any money to be made in becoming a freelance web master.

11-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Welcome to the forum.

If there was no money in being a webmaster we wouldn't be here. As you gain experience you'll find the area you like most and focus on that. For now I'd be more concerned with gaining skills.

11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
newkid is offline newkid
Software: Photoshop, Sublime Text2,MS VS

newkid is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to newkid

Old

First concentrate on learning HTML, CSS as well as any other web programming languages depending on what your focus is in terms of web design. Leaning Photoshop, Illustrator or other graphic software and graphic design skills may also be an advantage whether your interest is strictly in the visual or programming side of it all.

11-18-2012, 01:06 PM
mr.savalas is offline mr.savalas
Expertise: none
Software: firefox

mr.savalas is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for reply. Well, I am a do it your self person. I see a lot of changes on web pages since high speed internet. Video seems the norm today. But I can see big changes coming in the area of internet browsing. I am not into learning Web Design for the sake of money alone. But, I do need a business on the internet. Can't find a product, so a service may be a good idea, and the information about learning Web Design is free on the internet. Not to say I can't do other things, I can. But Web Design looks appealing and creative. Does it take a long time to get good at it. And I am no artist, so I can't draw or paint. I assume much is done through software without the skills of an artist.

11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Zara is offline Zara
Software:

Zara is on a distinguished road

Old

Keep in mind that "web design" includes all areas of designing a website including graphics, layout, and user experience design - which can also venture into bits of coding.

Web development, on the other hand, USUALLY (not always) refers to the main non-design aspects of building web sites: writing markup and programming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_design
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_development

While they can be used interchangeably, there is also an added layer of uncertainty as to what you're talking about when doing so.

Anyway, as with everything else, it does take time to learn and it can be a big learning curve if you've never dealt with it before. For starters, I'd focus my time on one area and get to a comfortable level with that. Rather it be working with graphics in Photoshop, Illustrator, or GIMP or learning the basics of xhtml/css2 and then venturing into html5/css3.

Either way, I find all areas of it to be a lot of fun and challenging and a great way to exercise your creative mind!