Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1396 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion     Member Introductions :

Coming back after years, is anyone still around?

Thread title: Coming back after years, is anyone still around?
05-10-2017, 03:23 AM
SolaDrive is offline SolaDrive
Expertise: Managed VPS
Software: Unix, Linux

SolaDrive is on a distinguished road

Old  Coming back after years, is anyone still around?

I was on here years ago but recently have come back. This used to be a massive and very active forum but I see the most recent threads are almost 2 years old. What happened here?

05-17-2017, 12:35 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Good to have you pass by, SolaDrive. Here is a short (and honest) summary of what happened.

I acquired the community in so-so shape in 2010. Threw a good amount of money and development resources at trying to revive it, which required changing everything. I've done that successfully before with another community (which I believe you are also a part of), so I knew what I was facing at that time. The development was an awesome, but a long and painful process, with multiple people taking over from designers to developers. We aimed so high at delivering a unique result that would affect both the forum and the marketplace that I simply fell flat on the face after months and months of delays. As negative feedback rolled in, it finally made an impact on me and demotivated me from continuing. I dropped out for a good amount of time (probably even up to 2 years), which in most cases is lethal for any community, especially the one that was already struggling and given up on prior to my acquisition. In the process I upset a lot of people who had high hopes. Looking back, if we were to go through those changes back then, we would have still faced an increasingly difficult battle in the face of declining activity as far as traditional forums are concerned.

Fast forward to today.

As of the last three weeks, I have made a quiet comeback. It first involved cleaning up the whole community from accumulated spam. In the process, over 50,000 messages and dozens of accounts were removed (with another 20 or so suspicious accounts under investigation). In the process I have reached out to a few members who used to be active and involved and had a surprisingly nice conversation with them on my plan to re-launch TF and they have offered their feedback and advice on a number of items. I feel like not everything is lost around here and it's giving me hope and motivation again.

Since then, some development work has been going on behind the scenes and I think we aren't that far off from relaunching a reinvented version of TF. The objective (and core desire) is to bring back the environment of the early days of the community. In order to get there (and advisor-members agree), I have to make some very radical changes (I talk about some of them here). So that's what we are preparing for. Only this time we have to keep things simple in order to get there, with a one step at a time approach rather than all-at-once.

PS: Oh, since I left, I have shut down the registration capability. That probably really saved us from an epic mess.

Anyway, I haven't really mass-informed the community about any of this. I'm going to keep things organic this time around until we accomplish a major chunk of upgrades.

Thank you for asking your questions, SolaDrive. If you are interested in the upcoming changes, stick around.

05-17-2017, 04:17 AM
SolaDrive is offline SolaDrive
Expertise: Managed VPS
Software: Unix, Linux

SolaDrive is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm certainly interested in the come back and will be happy to help with being active here. It's too bad the community died but I think with the size of the forum it wouldn't be hard get things active here again.

I am willing to bet after some activity reappears, if you did a mass email to all users, they would become active if they saw life in this forum again.

If it helps, SolaDrive can sponsor/donate a dedicated server or something that you could use as a prize for something. IE a raffle or top monthly poster, etc..

Best of luck with the development, I'm looking forward to seeing the changes!

05-17-2017, 07:18 AM

Old

That is very kind of you! I wouldn't mind getting back to this conversation of sponsoring a contest when we finish working on the principle changes. In the meantime, you staying active is the best support we can get right now.

Originally Posted by SolaDrive View Post
I am willing to bet after some activity reappears, if you did a mass email to all users, they would become active if they saw life in this forum again.
As I touched on it above, I don't plan on letting the masses know of any progress until we have something to show for it. I do, however, have something more special planned as part of me reaching out to our member base.

12-04-2017, 05:44 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

Well, the Holiday Season is upon us. Hope you all are doing well and looking forward to a revived TF.

12-10-2017, 03:29 AM

Old

Originally Posted by SenseiSteve View Post
Well, the Holiday Season is upon us. Hope you all are doing well and looking forward to a revived TF.
Happy Holidays to you as well, Steve!

We are already running on a brand new and a very quick server. Baby steps, but in the right direction.