Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1677 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Deleting Posts

Thread title: Deleting Posts
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
10-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old  Deleting Posts

If posts are going to be removed can a PM please be sent for a specific reason as to why they removed? Especially when the post is actually polite, concise and not actually breaking the rules.

For example: I posted in this thread as did the OP and BOTH of those posts are gone. My post just stated that I thought it was one of the best designed contact lens site I've seen in years and that it was a shame it had to be sold.

I would hardly consider that a violation of the marketplace rule that prohibits "fluffy" [positive] posts (#3).. Which leads me to this: Elegant Banners has the same style post I left yet his remains. It just seems rather pedantic to me. I've also seen various other posts of the same nature for a few months now--so why the change NOW and why hasn't the same mod(s) removing current posts been backtracking to older threads to do the same?

What's going on here?

10-17-2010, 07:15 PM
TaeKwonJoe is offline TaeKwonJoe
Expertise: Designing & Programming
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++

TaeKwonJoe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via MSN to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TaeKwonJoe

Old

Jordan, there's not much point in arguing with the staff over this kind of thing. I've tried it over and over, and it's a pointless battle.

May this post live long!

Thanked by:
Jordan (10-18-2010)
10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Pointlessly negative comments aside, staff definitely should send a PM when they delete a post. This is probably a question best asked directly to Artashes.

10-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

vBulletin has a plugin that automatically PM's users when their thread/post is moved, deleted, locked etc.

The rules are far too vague and only entice inconsistencies amongst staff. I'd opt for a rewrite. *tells staff*

10-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
What's going on here?

This is what you posted:

Shame you have to sell it! Despite being non-prescription it's the only decent contact lens store I've seen in 6+ years.

Good luck with your sale and again sorry to hear you have to let it go!

These are the rules:

Fluffy "nice website", "should sell!", "good luck", "great design!" style comments are prohibited.
Consequence: 1pt infraction.

I chose not to issue an infraction, in which case you would have most certainly received a PM with a reason why your post got deleted. It can still be corrected if you wish.

Same applies to Elegant Banners who posted but probably after I cleaned up the thread the first time.

Cheers.

10-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
vBulletin has a plugin that automatically PM's users when their thread/post is moved, deleted, locked etc.

I like the idea! Me will try to find it and analyze it.

Most removed threads/posts usually break some kind of the rules. If we apply a warning/infraction, then a user receives a PM regardless. If a member gets banned, what's the point of overloading the server with extra queries by sending PMs?

I am also worried that if we apply the plug-in, the amount of received PMs with follow-ups will skyrocket and I will have no time left to do any other work, either in my online or offline life.

10-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115677 there must be a newer version. Though this gives you the jist.

You can setup the PMs to be sent from a default (bot) account and note it's a bot account, so replies won't work. =]

10-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
I chose not to issue an infraction, in which case you would have most certainly received a PM with a reason why your post got deleted. It can still be corrected if you wish.
Is your definition of "fluffy" something else then? I don't see any fluff at all. In fact I'd rather promote activity on the forum rather than shun it especially when it's a.) on topic, b.) positive. Not only that but why delete the OPs reply to me? There is nothing in the rules that prohibit an OP from replying to their own thread. Why was his/her post removed irregardless if mine was gone (seeing as though the post quoted me anyway.)

Or you know.. rather than waste effort on deleting posts by people (without any notification WHATSOEVER) work on improving upon what you've promised us for the forum in general.

This pisses me off and I'm just letting you know it. K.

Originally Posted by TaeKwonJoe View Post
Jordan, there's not much point in arguing with the staff over this kind of thing. I've tried it over and over, and it's a pointless battle.

May this post live long!
Now I can see why you were passionate about the issue of my thread being removed. It's really damn annoying that posts are being removed here when they're entirely legitimate AND it's been like that for MONTHS/YEARS and were never moderated as such.

It's frustrating that I'll devote my time to contributing to the activity only to have someone figuratively shit all over it. Although I don't doubt that it has a lot to do with biased because I've had a strong attitude to issues here over the last few months. I would just rather it seen 100% across the board.

And if we're going to take the time to remove legitimate posts.. Why not focus on the people who are just posting for sig spam. Which.. months later has not been resolved and is a rampant issue here.

10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
triadink is offline triadink
Software:

triadink is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to triadink Send a message via Yahoo to triadink

Old

why would you argue and make a spectacle of yourself, read the rules and quit thinking everything you do is right

copy and paste of the rules:

3. Fluffy "nice website", "should sell!", "good luck", "great design!" style comments are prohibited.
Consequence: 1pt infraction.

The marketplace is a place of business, not somewhere to stroke an ego. All posts should be bids and/or questions/answers related to the thread.

We have other forums for members to ask for comments on their work/services, outside of the marketplace.
Can you read the rules and honestly tell me that you placed a bid or had a legitimate question about the sale as a potential buyer?

10-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

One of the reasons for that rule was that people were using it to bump their threads. People would ask friends of theirs to say something nice about their thread so it could get back up to the top. Sellers also complained when too many people started saying pointless things on their threads, they didn't want to be bothered unless they had a prospective sale.

The marketplace is for selling and buying, the gallery showcase is for reviewing. The two are mutually exclusive and that is a good thing.

Thanked by:
Artashes (10-19-2010)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >