Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1612 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Forum Plans

Thread title: Forum Plans
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
imchewee is offline imchewee
Software:

imchewee is on a distinguished road

Old

Every point Salathe raises is perfectly valid, we need blogs, we need to branch out to other areas and we do need to lose the marketplace.

04-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Immersion is offline Immersion
Software:

Immersion is on a distinguished road

Old

Talkfreelance needs something novel. Sites like dribbble and forrst are doing well as they combine discussion and more importantly excellent examples of coding/design. There is a sense of competition which TFL lacks, there is no reward for having 5 thousand posts. I'm not even talking about monetary reward, just something as simple as badges, new privileges or advertising. The bar needs to be raised for entry, and this may mean that lots of activity is again cut (not that it could get much worse) to prevent all the useless spam and get professionals on. The sites mentioned earlier such as Forrst were/are invite only and would only accept the best talent.

Some random ideas:
- More focus on badges for rewards (everyone likes to level up )
- Community blogs, have an editorial team that write and accept community articles. This could even just be suggestions for articles, things users won't to know about.
- Personal advertising, many people will come onto a forum and want to get their name out about their business. Find some way to link posting rewards with advertising privileges. (guest blog posts etc)
- Job board (but lets not make it free, if you want quality then you can't accept everything)
- Utilize social networking more. Competition where by tweeting a link will enter you into a draw to win some prize. But make it a good prize. For professionals winning $50 is hardly worth it, for me cash prizes are best to be avoided. Subscriptions and products are quite appealing (you may even get sponsors).
- Goodbye marketplace.

Thanked by:
Artashes (04-15-2011)
04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
triadink is offline triadink
Software:

triadink is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to triadink Send a message via Yahoo to triadink

Old

Salathe has some very good suggestions, It would make TF a viable freelance site. If they are actually listened to and implemented is a totally different story.

04-13-2011, 06:04 PM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
Talkfreelance needs something novel. Sites like dribbble and forrst are doing well as they combine discussion and more importantly excellent examples of coding/design. There is a sense of competition which TFL lacks, there is no reward for having 5 thousand posts. I'm not even talking about monetary reward, just something as simple as badges, new privileges or advertising. The bar needs to be raised for entry, and this may mean that lots of activity is again cut (not that it could get much worse) to prevent all the useless spam and get professionals on. The sites mentioned earlier such as Forrst were/are invite only and would only accept the best talent.

Some random ideas:
- More focus on badges for rewards (everyone likes to level up )
- Community blogs, have an editorial team that write and accept community articles. This could even just be suggestions for articles, things users won't to know about.
- Personal advertising, many people will come onto a forum and want to get their name out about their business. Find some way to link posting rewards with advertising privileges. (guest blog posts etc)
- Job board (but lets not make it free, if you want quality then you can't accept everything)
- Utilize social networking more. Competition where by tweeting a link will enter you into a draw to win some prize. But make it a good prize. For professionals winning $50 is hardly worth it, for me cash prizes are best to be avoided. Subscriptions and products are quite appealing (you may even get sponsors).
- Goodbye marketplace.
I like this guys suggestions

04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Given our user-base we have a chance to make the Marketplace work.

There are some concrete suggestions here, and this is a good idea.

04-13-2011, 08:27 PM
The Rover is offline The Rover
Expertise: Domain Name Consultant
Software: Fireworks, Notepad, Firefox

The Rover is on a distinguished road

Old

As I've said before, I honestly can't see the logic in removing the marketplace. As freelancers, it's vital to connect, hire, and trade services among other freelancers. 50% of being a freelancer is connecting and sharing ideas, and keeping up with the latest advancements. The remaining 50% is actually, hmm, obtaining work perhaps? Beef up the marketplace rules perhaps, but I'd strongly suggest not removing it. Doing so would be a pretty big blow to this community. Case, in point: someone literally just asked me yesterday if I knew of a great place to hire reliable freelancers. TF was my first recommendation.

04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
As I've said before, I honestly can't see the logic in removing the marketplace.
The market place as it stands at the moment is, to be polite, absolutely awful. It isn't doing anyone any favours, especially those who try and make use of it.

That's not to say a dedicated and well-made place for business people to do their business dealings wouldn't be a great asset, but absolutely not based on the forum system we have now. So as I hinted at earlier, I really wouldn't shed a tear if the current marketplace implementation went the way of the dodo.

04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
triadink is offline triadink
Software:

triadink is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to triadink Send a message via Yahoo to triadink

Old

There have been some good suggestions via this thread. Immersion I liked yours as well!

Now if the owner and staff will take some of these suggestions and run with it, I wont hold my breath.

04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
The Rover is offline The Rover
Expertise: Domain Name Consultant
Software: Fireworks, Notepad, Firefox

The Rover is on a distinguished road

Old

Oh, I agree that the marketplace needs to be completely revamped. Clean it up. Put restrictions. Hell, perhaps even charge to post. Boost the quality of it. However, my experience tells me that removing the marketplace entirely will more than likely greatly decrease nearly any forum's overall participation. Just ask Sitepoint. There's a reason they've revamped and reintroduced their marketplace.

04-14-2011, 03:50 PM
t0m is offline t0m
Expertise:
Software:

t0m is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
someone literally just asked me yesterday if I knew of a great place to hire reliable freelancers. TF was my first recommendation.
I'm sorry (and this is no disrespect to the handful of talented individuals on here), but what on earth? This place, in particular the marketplace, would be the last place I'd send someone looking for a reliable, professional freelancer. Its riddled with rubbish.

In terms of keeping the marketplace or not, think generally. Stand back and ask if it actually adds any value to this place. It doesn't. If I were a new user and contemplating signing up, one look at the current marketplace would send me packing.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >