Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1399 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Javascript :

Do you actually know jquery?

Thread title: Do you actually know jquery?
04-17-2011, 08:54 PM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  Do you actually know jquery?

For those of you who take on coding jobs, do you actually know jquery?

Almost every potential client I get needs some form of jquery done. I can do simple stuff buy using pre-made scripts but thats about it.

You?

04-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by KewL View Post
For those of you who take on coding jobs, do you actually know jquery?

Almost every potential client I get needs some form of jQuery done. I can do simple stuff buy using pre-made scripts but thats about it.

You?
That really depends on what you are trying to do. I've done jQuery stuff that was plug and play but I've done jQuery stuff that took extensive knowledge of the library. I don't exactly know how to define simple in the context of not having to know the library, even simple stuff will require some knowledge.

If you know javascript its not hard to learn, I'd say its the easiest of the bunch by far. I'd say that it is well worth it to learn jQuery.

05-04-2011, 12:37 PM
flc is offline flc
Expertise: Programming,Seo,web Desiging
Software: adobe dreamweaver,webceo,

flc is on a distinguished road

Old

as long as its serving your needs.. i think its fine to use the pre made scripts... and jquery is a library so if u really wanna know more about it.. learn object oriented javascript... maybe u can make one of ur own someday..

05-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by KewL View Post
You?
I'm not sure if I qualify for "those who take on coding jobs" but yes, I would say that I know jQuery. I certainly used to be intimately familiar () but wouldn't say that today, having not kept 100% up-to-date with the latest developments in the library; there are only so many plates one can keep spinning.

As for "every potential client" needing or asking for some jQuery, it certainly does seem the buzzword of choice that people pick on when they want dynamic pages of any kind. I've even had to introduce the concept of "JavaScript" to people before when they thought "jQuery" was a language in its own right.

08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Jake B is offline Jake B
Expertise: Coder
Software: Sublime Text, Google Chrome

Jake B is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Jake B

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
I've even had to introduce the concept of "JavaScript" to people before when they thought "jQuery" was a language in its own right.
The buzzwords really make me laugh. Or people who think that AJAX is it's own language (it's not).

Back on topic, it's in your best interest to learn JavaScript. Having to use plugins all the time, it really changes how you take on a project. If you understand what you'd need to do by writing it yourself, you'll most likely save time versus having to google around for a plugin. Plus, the plugin might not do exactly what you'd need to do, or it might not do what you want effectively, so that can hurt your project as well.

As someone who primarily does frontend work, JavaScript is extremely important to know, as it's one of the "big three" (HTML, CSS, JavaScript -- a.k.a. structure, visual, interaction) layers of a website.

08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Webgirl is offline Webgirl
Software:

Webgirl is on a distinguished road

Old

Im glad you mentioned that Jake (best interest to learn JavaScript), for years I neglected JavaScript until I realised that I missed something - somebody also mentioned that JavaScript is easy to learn. Well it was years ago but now its not - you really have to dig in - those DOM stuff and AJAX is not that easy - all that belongs to JavaScript. And doing the forms in JavaScript one needs some knowledge of Regular Expressions, and thats a beast.

08-12-2011, 05:30 AM
akshaytkd is offline akshaytkd
Expertise: Javascript, CSS, HTML, jQuery
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash

akshaytkd is on a distinguished road

Old

I have been on to jQuery for a year now. So I guess I know how this thing works!
I have made my custom scripts too.

But now after the introduction of CSS3, many of my clients are demanding to implementing CSS3 on their websites.....!