Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1059 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

New to the scene. Few questions.

Thread title: New to the scene. Few questions.
Closed Thread    
07-15-2006, 11:53 PM
ooflawlesoo is offline ooflawlesoo
Software:

ooflawlesoo is on a distinguished road

Old  New to the scene. Few questions.

Hello all,
Just a few questions but first i guess i better introduce myself. My name is Josh im 21 i have been web designing off and on for about 5 or so years. I have recently decided im going to try freelancing for a change of things. At the moment im a GM at a store here so i understand the business side of things and love it, also i love design, so i hope this goes over well.

To the questions:
Here is a sample of a site that im working on for a local cd store called cd-cellar
Cd Cellar (not finished)
1. Do you guys think i have what it takes to do well? (just designing that is..)

As of right now im not happy with my job. I feel i am underpaid work to many hours for something i have come to hate. Im working close to 50-60 hours and only getting paid for 40 hours. So im wondering..
2. Is there anyone that makes 10,000 - 15,000 dollars a year just doing freelance stuff. Im thinking of taking another job that pays about 10,000 dollars less than this one and trying to find ways to make money.
3.Do most freelancers just bid on sites and what are the best places to find jobs?

Thank you in advance
-josh

i will have my portfolio up soon and hopefully a good profile. Also dont be to harsh on my design its the first one i have done in about 1 to 2 years i would say.

07-16-2006, 02:46 AM
wasahobo is offline wasahobo
Software:

wasahobo is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to wasahobo Send a message via MSN to wasahobo

Old

Hey,

Design is very nice, but for a CD store I think you have gone a little to far (unless this is what they told you to make). Maybe tone it down, and focus more on what they are selling.

1. Do you guys think i have what it takes to do well? (just designing that is..)
From what I see, Yes. Love the design, would make a really cool portfolio.

2. Is there anyone that makes 10,000 - 15,000 dollars a year just doing freelance stuff. Im thinking of taking another job that pays about 10,000 dollars less than this one and trying to find ways to make money.
Yes, Getting your name out their will be the hard part, but once people get to know you and know your work. Im sure you will have plenty of offers.

3.Do most freelancers just bid on sites and what are the best places to find jobs?
Yes and No. There are a number of things you can do. Look around sites like (tf) or Sitepoint, getafreelancer, and place your bid on a project. You can also look around, place ads in your local business. My College also has a department to help freelance artists find work as well.

07-16-2006, 03:06 AM
ooflawlesoo is offline ooflawlesoo
Software:

ooflawlesoo is on a distinguished road

Old

well thank you for your replies. Actually that is exactly what they wanted. I had a meeting with the owner and he said "over the top and make it look like a cellar." So i got a pen and piece of paper drew up what i thought was cellarish and it came out the exact way it was on the paper. The site is more for publicity to put on his business cards and such. So far he loves the site. We will see how he does when im done with it. But once again thank you for the great advice and comments.

Closed Thread