Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1322 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

How much to charge for web work?

Thread title: How much to charge for web work?
02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
HereForDiscussion is offline HereForDiscussion
Expertise:
Software:

HereForDiscussion is on a distinguished road

Old  How much to charge for web work?

I am a beginner freelancer contemplating the dilemma of how much to charge for web design work. Hoping someone out there can give a push in the right direction.

I know there are posts about this issue on this forum already. I've been looking at http://www.talkfreelance.com/showthread.php?t=13899 and http://www.talkfreelance.com/showthread.php?t=75653 as well as some pages on other websites.

Three things I have fortunately realized right away -

1. It's important to know exactly what the clients needs (at least initially). For example, a client might come to me and say 'I just need a website with 5 pages and a logo' but thats not enough info. I would also need to know if they require special functionality like a contact form, if they want anything dynamic on the site, etc. Only by knowing what the client needs (initially) pricing can be determined objectively.

2. Some clients will be charged hourly and some per project. I need to figure out when to do to which.

3. Watching out and reacting to "scope creep"

which for those who don't know basically means when into the project the client suddenly requests more than what was agreed upon initially. The client needs to be informed that hey, if I'm going to do more work than we initially agreed upon I will have to charge you a little more. Plus there should be a separate form for them to fill out indicating the additional work they want in detail.

What I'm trying to figure out is how much to charge for services (a-la-carte as well as package deals). For example, if someone wants a basic corporate site with no dynamic functionality, just a 5 page site with a contact form. How do you determine how much to charge for that? Also, how do you determine your hourly rate?

02-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

No one can tell you how to price things, that is something only you can decide. You need to find a price the works with you. To get a flat fee you need to find a rate that works, find the average time that it will take you to make a design and charge that as a flat fee.

02-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Psychotomus is offline Psychotomus
Expertise: php, mySQL, js, aJax
Software: virtual brain cells

Psychotomus is on a distinguished road

Old

I usually charge around 20$/hr. When a client ask for a quote depending upon the job, I may lower to 15$/hr if the job will take awhile. I just guess how many hrs it will take.

02-06-2011, 09:04 AM
DigiTheme is offline DigiTheme
Expertise: Coding and Design
Software: Photoshop and Notepad++

DigiTheme is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via Skype™ to DigiTheme

Old

You need to find out for yourself how much to ask.. You are the only one who can value you're work time, your skills and so on.

I usually ask $20-$40 per hour depending on priority and/or difficulty.