Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 573 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

Do you want to be on the judging panel for our Site of the Week Competition?

Thread title: Do you want to be on the judging panel for our Site of the Week Competition?
Closed Thread    
08-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old  Do you want to be on the judging panel for our Site of the Week Competition?

Hi everyone,

As you all know we are bringing in some new (and some not so new) member activities. This activity in particular is a members Site Of The Week (SOTW). From this there will be a Site Of The Month and then a Site Of The Year!!!

What we are looking for is a team of dedicated reviewers to assess the entered sites weekly. We need at least 5 judges for a start, this number could increase if the calibre of reviewers is high. Dedication, reliability, maturity and consistency will be big factors in deciding who gets the positions. A head judge will be picked from this team.

To try out for one of these positions we need each applicant to do a mock review on 5 web sites.

To get involved check out this thread:

http://www.talkfreelance.com/thread21261.html

08-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

The judging panel will be decided upon very soon, don't miss out!!!

http://www.talkfreelance.com/thread21261.html

PS. If we don't get enough judges, the Site of the Week competition will not be able to go ahead

10-20-2006, 04:53 AM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

I think the lack of commitment to this is because theres so many requirements. I think it'd be a lot more simple if...

Everyone submitted a weekly site. Those submissions get weeded out into the top 5. Then, they are put into a poll. Most votes win.

Simple, quick, fast, and easy.

10-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Jako is offline Jako
Expertise:
Software:

Jako is on a distinguished road

Old

I agree, honestly, know one wants to go through each site and rate to that much depth. Once you get the top 5 picked, then you can rate them more, but doing so for each site is dumb in my opinion.

10-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Originally Posted by Bryan Le
I think the lack of commitment to this is because theres so many requirements. I think it'd be a lot more simple if...

Everyone submitted a weekly site. Those submissions get weeded out into the top 5. Then, they are put into a poll. Most votes win.

Simple, quick, fast, and easy.

That's why I've avoided it from day one. Too much redtape

10-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I see, thanks guys. This project may have to go on the backburner.

The review criteria is based upon factors in good design. No-one had to do any reviews writing anything about the sites I listed for examples. To review you simply have to have a quick look at the nine criteria and score based on that criteria. It's all there in front of you. You don't have to explain why you think it's aesthetically pleasing, or why you dont like a certai type of code etc...Just score on the set criteria.

But maybe that is too much?

10-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

I just figured, since it'd be a weekly thing, it should become more "community" involved with the general population being able to vote. Furthermore, it'd mean a lot less work for those involved as a judge.

10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

I'm all for the poll idea, but can we assume that members will vote for the sites objectively? Do we care if the votes are biased? We all like a great looking design but fewer people give a damn if the code behind it is woeful! And accessibility, would the general member really care? Should they care?

On a plus side, it would be a doddle to set up - just set the polls to expire after 7 days and assign one person to "announce" a winner.

10-21-2006, 12:23 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yes, well thats why I thought a team of valued members would be unbiased.

The ideas behind voting based on code,accessibility and all the other things, is that we are trying to grow the members into people who consider more than just "wow, that site looks great!". Otherwise it simply becomes a "get all my mates to vote for me" fest, and no-one really develops and grows as a designer. I think that since there are a huge amount of web designers/coders in this forum that we should care. We aren't your run of the mill web surfers, we are the ones who are developing the internet into whatever shape/structure we want it to be. Plain ol' people who click on IE (because thats what their computer came with) and browse sites are the ones who should be voting based on "oh, that looks really nice". We, as developers, should be a lot more standards/accessibility/coding etc inclined. If not, why are we developers?

Maybe I am too serious and like to consider more than just simple aesthetics? Is it only me that thinks there is a LOT more to a web site design than simply looks? Is it only me that thinks that the extra factors we ALL should be considering are actually important? Are they not important?

Does this need to be simply a poll/vote fest? I don't know?

Closed Thread