Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 862 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

*Cringing*

Thread title: *Cringing*
Closed Thread    
07-04-2005, 06:13 PM
KrispysKingdom is offline KrispysKingdom
Software:

KrispysKingdom is on a distinguished road

Old  *Cringing*

As much as I hate allowing other designers the opportunity to critique my websites, I will bite the bullet and post a couple here

http://www.kustombykris.com
This is my own website. It really needs a trained eye to peruse its pages. You know, when you create websites for someone else the owner of the site will catch mistakes and such for you. I don't have that benefit when it comes to my own site. Anyway... I just completely tore down my old website and replaced it with this one. It was a rush job as I am being featured next week on another website and wanted this one done before then.

http://s9.invisionfree.com/wheeloftime
This one is a role-playing forum that I created for my sister. The Rules & Guides section is made up of separate webpages. It was a gift, and a free forum, so it doesn't need to be perfect. Of course it would be nice if it was

07-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Please don't cringe, please use this review constructively.

Your portfolio site:

I like the nice soft colours and imagery but there are numerous aspects of this site that don't work well.

For a designers portfolio site it is VERY busy, there is an information overload happening there. It really needs to be simplified.

Your typography needs SERIOUS review. You have used Courier new, arial and times new roman together in the left navigation and verdana in the bottom form...this is a big no-no and does not look good at all. You have then used times new roman in your main content section, this is an outdated font more widely used in newpapers than in websites. Also courier new is in the main content area and I cannot figure out why. Consider using a maximum of 3 fonts...one for the main content, one for a highlight and one for minor highlights.

Consider learning more about typography, here's a great resource. It has links to some great typography articles.

Consistency is lacking in your site, I click on some pages and it's like I am transported to someone elses website, ie. your website portfolio page is nothing like your main page and doesnt even have the same navigation.

All web navigation must answer:

Where am I?
Where have I been?
Where can I go next
Where's the Home Page
Where's the Home Home Page

Navigation must be simple and consistent, yours isn't. Yours does not satisfy the first 3 points. Consider using CSS to style your links.

You have used colours in the wrong places, eg. your "Welcome!" heading, it shouldn't be orange because of the gray background, consider using black instead. Have a look at the rest of the site and think carefully on each element you have there, ask yourself "does the site really need this element to be designed like this to function well?", also ask yourself "does the site even need this element at all?".

Sorry if this seems harsh, I am here to help. I have given you a fairly light review compared to my normal ones (cos I have the flu). My review is based upon commercial reality and my own opinion. If you need any help on any of the above aspects please pm me for help or guidance.

Veiled Truth:

This site is actually more pleasant to view than your portfolio site, it has much better consistency, much better structure and layout too.

The navigation fails in a couple of areas but it is consistent throughout.

My only gripe with this site is the header and it's background.

07-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

* Thread Cleaned *

If you fancy yourself a business advisor please feel free to post a topic in the business section, offering your services as a professional.

Otherwise please keep on topic with FRIENDLY critique (not criticism).

07-05-2005, 01:50 PM
goa is offline goa
Expertise:
Software:

goa is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to goa

Old

My opinion is: learn and learn again. More practic etc.
Look at some professional studios web sites, read theory books and all will be good for you.

07-05-2005, 05:40 PM
swordfish is offline swordfish
Expertise:
Software:

swordfish is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to swordfish Send a message via MSN to swordfish

Old

You should also test your site in various browsers, as it looks different in firefox compared to IE6. You need to make sure you cater for as many different browsers as you can, old and new.

Closed Thread