Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1964 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Does time matter..

Thread title: Does time matter..
Closed Thread    
04-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Dubai is offline Dubai
Expertise:
Software:

Dubai is on a distinguished road

Old  Does time matter..

In order to get your buisness to grow and be one of the best sources on the net? I mean does time take place in such cases?

I believe that ITS not about time, its about the idea of your business and the amound of demand. I mean if you opened a business that isnt found anywhere else and you are the 1# source for that kind of business and the amount of demand, time wont affect your business's growth. But if your business is found anywhere, you need to work on that over the time to be the PERFECT source.

04-22-2005, 01:54 AM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

Everything takes time...it't wont' happen in a slap...it'll take time to get known, etc. You have to market and all that other jazz.

04-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Tekime is offline Tekime
Expertise: Web Design & Development
Software:

Tekime is on a distinguished road

Old

Name one business with great demand and no market.

Business takes time, and lots of it.

04-22-2005, 10:50 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

10% Product 90% Marketing If you have a great idea but no one has ever heard of it before then how exactly do you expect to sell any products? Growing a succesful business does take time, the time can vary depending on the business you're running though. I mean, look at ebay, very succesful in a short period of time and now there are hundreds of similar sites all competing agaisnt them (but they won't be near as succesful anytime soon). Time is a factor but no business can suddenly open one day and expect everyone to flock and buy their product/service without getting their name out there.

04-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

It's not about how much time you have, it's about how you manage the time you have.

04-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Tekime is offline Tekime
Expertise: Web Design & Development
Software:

Tekime is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Anthony
It's not about how much time you have, it's about how you manage the time you have.
No, it's about both. I truly don't hope my posts aren't coming across or rude or anything, but I don't believe that it's fair to mislead anyone into thinking that starting a business will take anything but a ton of time.

I understand your point though, and I fully agree that managing your time properly makes a huge difference (sometimes the difference between success and failure), however managing your time successfully for your average new business owner could mean 40 hours per week, or 100 hours per week. A smart business owner will take any "extra" time they have and invest it in their business anyway, there is always something you can do to improve your company.

Robson some very good points, basically that's what I'm getting at.

04-24-2005, 08:38 AM
sednasolutions is offline sednasolutions
Software:

sednasolutions is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to sednasolutions

Old

Nofan, just to be completely honest with you (and I don't want to offend you in any way), your statement has many fallacies.

Originally Posted by Nofan
I believe that ITS not about time, its about the idea of your business and the amound of demand.
As Robson explained, no matter how great your product is, you need to connect with and attract your audience (i.e. through marketing) because otherwise they will not know you or your product exists. Demand can give a business owner an idea of what the profit potential is for a product, but it doesn't tell you how much money you are going to actually earn (no matter how great the product is), because that will be based on how much TIME, energy, and money you spend on marketing your product (whether it be traditional advertising, word of mouth, etc.).

Let's bring this concept into reality... I just opened up a large shopping center which included retail stores, restaurants, and a movie theatre in the middle of a state which had absolutely no entertainment sources, which makes my shopping center the #1 source for entertainment in that area. How are all of the people who have been waiting so long for some entertainment in the surrounding area going to know the shopping center opened up? Let's say the area doesn't even have any major highways or freeways. How is your audience going to reach your product? Marketing is the bridge in between your product and your audience and it is the tool that can connect the two. As I mentioned earlier, marketing takes time, energy, and money.

I mean if you opened a business that isnt found anywhere else and you are the 1# source for that kind of business and the amount of demand, time wont affect your business's growth.
I don't know too many businesses that were an instant success, do you? Once again, even if you were the one and only source for a product, with no marketing you have no way of getting your audience's attention about your product and you will see no success. And since marketing takes time among other things, time WILL effect your business' growth.

But if your business is found anywhere, you need to work on that over the time to be the PERFECT source.
In many industries, your goal as a company is not always to be the PERFECT source, but it is many times to be the best source for your niche market. People have different needs and most businesses do not try to meet every single person's or business' needs. For example, fast food restaurants (such as Burger King and McDonalds) are designed for those who are looking for a quick and affordable breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Sit-down restaurants are designed to attract customers that want to sit down and take their time eating their meal, and most of the time these customers spend more money per sit down in comparison to someone going to a fast food restaurant. These companies are not trying to be the PERFECT source for food, as you suggested they must do when in competitive industries, because they provide for a focused niche in the market.

After reading your statement a couple of times, I think what you meant is that you have to be better at what you do and provide customers with more as your industry becomes more competitive, which I believe is true. I still remember the day when hosting companies didn't even provide customers with Control Panel technology, but now companies have to expand their product line with tools such as site builders, shopping cart systems, blog software, etc. to give themselves an edge in the highly competitive marketplace. But in conclusion, I do believe time means a great deal to the success of any business.

Closed Thread