Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1348 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

Layered PNG Files (from Nice twitter design - Includes PNG's)

Thread title: Layered PNG Files (from Nice twitter design - Includes PNG's)
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
06-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Zara is offline Zara
Software:

Zara is on a distinguished road

Old

I've worked with layered PNG's once or twice, they're not too bad but I'm not much of a fan when it comes to Fireworks. It's almost like giving an athlete asthma, I feel limited on what can actually be accomplished. Although, I must admit that I've seen some pretty amazing designs come from Fireworks, including the one for sale here.

Someone had to wikipedia it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portabl...upport_for_PNG

Adobe Fireworks (formerly by Macromedia) uses PNG as its native file format, allowing other image editors and preview utilities to view the flattened image. However, Fireworks by default also stores meta data for layers, animation, vector data, text and effects. Such files should not be distributed directly. Fireworks can instead export the image as an optimized PNG without the extra meta data for use on web pages, etc.
Good luck with your sale.

06-07-2009, 11:07 PM
The Rover is offline The Rover
Expertise: Domain Name Consultant
Software: Fireworks, Notepad, Firefox

The Rover is on a distinguished road

Old

In freelance web design using fireworks to create layered PNG's is actually very rare I don't know what research your basing your statements on but I doubt you trully know. You might think it's common because that's what YOU work with but in the freelance design world no, PSD is the majorly used file and I have never been asked to code, design, or even seen a layered PNG for sale before this thread.
Why has this turned into a debate on which file is more popular? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. And now you're questioning my knowledge of the industry? Just becuase you haven't worked with a png file, doesn't negate the fact that png files are extremely common in graphic design industry. What I'm I basing this on? Precisely 10 years of design experience, both as a freelancer as well as working for an agency. Are photoshop (psd) files more common? Sure they are. Does that mean that Adobe fireworks is a rare breed? Don't be ridiculous. It's extremely common, and as I've said before, I suggest that you do your research on the growing use of PNG files, and why it's increasing. You can start by viewing this thread.

I've worked with layered PNG's once or twice, they're not too bad but I'm not much of a fan when it comes to Fireworks. It's almost like giving an athlete asthma, I feel limited on what can actually be accomplished. Although, I must admit that I've seen some pretty amazing designs come from Fireworks, including the one for sale here.
Sorry, but the majority of any negative spin on fireworks just isn't accurate. Particularly for the more recent versions. Also just to clarify, a PNG file has been proven to be far superior in terms of quality. As far usability and options, fireworks is my personal preference for graphic work, just like hundreds of thousands of others. Again, thanks for posting your personal taste of choice when it comes to what you personally design with, however I don't think that's the basis of this thread, right? Nonetheless, thank you for your kind words about this design.

Just in case the irreverent posts made on this thread have confused anyone interested, there are ZERO downsides to purchasing this design as a PNG. The posts you see here are from individuals who are choosing to post their opinion as to which program they prefer to design/code in. This design can be coded just as easily as a PSD file. 99% of all reputable professional coding companies will accept a png file, as will countless freelancers.

If I sound curt, it's for right reason. Opinions are not to be posted within the marketplace.

06-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Posts split from marketplace thread Nice twitter design - Includes PNG's

06-07-2009, 11:48 PM
46Bit is offline 46Bit
Expertise: Web Development
Software:

46Bit is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to 46Bit Send a message via Skype™ to 46Bit

Old

Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
It's extremely common, and as I've said before, I suggest that you do your research on the growing use of PNG files, and why it's increasing. You can start by viewing this thread.
That thread deals with using ordinary PNG files - not with layered files. PNG files are used extensively when coding web designs (AS HE WELL KNOWS), as for a lot of images they provide smaller file sizes, for others more colours, and also allow for decent transparency (as opposed to the rubbish transparency gifs have). Looking at some designs I've coded recently, something like 80% of the images ended up as PNGs, with the rest gifs or jpegs.

I suggest you do your research on the difference between Fireworks' meta data enhanced PNGs and ordinary PNGs.

06-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Zara is offline Zara
Software:

Zara is on a distinguished road

Old

Sorry, but the majority of any negative spin on fireworks just isn't accurate. Particularly for the more recent versions. Also just to clarify, a PNG file has been proven to be far superior in terms of quality. As far usability and options, fireworks is my personal preference for graphic work, just like hundreds of thousands of others. Again, thanks for posting your personal taste of choice when it comes to what you personally design with, however I don't think that's the basis of this thread, right? Nonetheless, thank you for your kind words about this design.
Since this thread has been split, I'll go ahead and complete what I had tried to shorten up into a small passage earlier.

Firstly, I never said there was anything wrong with layered PNG's. I simply stated that I'm not a fan of Fireworks.

Although Fireworks is aimed towards web development whereas Photoshop is meant to be used to manipulate photos, Photoshop still has more users, more plugins, and more features than Fireworks. This is the reason why I, and many others, still use and prefer Photoshop over Fireworks.

As far as slicing and coding a layered PNG vs a PSD is concerned, there isn't much of a different. You can do an equally effecient job using either Photoshop or Fireworks. If you're new to Fireworks, you may have to get used to a few different dialogs while slicing and exporting the images but nothing that's too complicated to figure out on your own.

Nonetheless, the sky is the limit with both applications. I've see some people make amazing art with Microsoft Paint. That just goes to proove that it's the designer's imagination that places a limit on the possibilities, not the software application or pen/pencil and paper. Special tools only make the creativity flow faster, assuming one knows how to use them.

I agree that Fireworks has an increasingly growing userbase in the web development industry but until the number and quality of amazing Fireworks tutorials can match those of amazing Photoshop tutorials, I don't see Fireworks being the #1 designers tool for web development. Photoshop is simply too advanced and has been around for too long for users to just switch.

06-08-2009, 12:21 AM
rochow is offline rochow
Expertise:
Software:

rochow is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rochow Send a message via Skype™ to rochow

Old

Who hasn't heard of a PNG? There is more than 1 program to design websites you know. They are basically the exact same thing as a PSD, except ones file version is for Photoshop and the other is for Fireworks. You can export it out as a PSD from Fireworks anyway.

Although I've not worked with Fireworks much, every PNG I've ever recieved is an absolute ton smaller than PSDs, which often range up into high XX for a fairly heavy design.

06-08-2009, 02:10 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

saying designs can only be created in photoshop is as ridiculous as saying 3d models can only be made in 3d studio max.

06-08-2009, 04:05 AM

Old

Who hasn't heard of a PNG? There is more than 1 program to design websites you know. They are basically the exact same thing as a PSD, except ones file version is for Photoshop and the other is for Fireworks. You can export it out as a PSD from Fireworks anyway.

Although I've not worked with Fireworks much, every PNG I've ever recieved is an absolute ton smaller than PSDs, which often range up into high XX for a fairly heavy design.

Thank you. Finally a sensible post

saying designs can only be created in photoshop is as ridiculous as saying 3d models can only be made in 3d studio max.

I couldn't have said it better. Impressive port, btw

06-08-2009, 05:27 PM
mjwalsh is offline mjwalsh
Software: Dreamweaver - Notepad++

mjwalsh is on a distinguished road

Old

I have no idea what I am talking about? You have on idea who I am, what my knowledge is, and who I have worked with. I never questioned your knowledge in the industry I simply stated that I don't know where your getting this information from. And you saying that Just because I have worked with it doesn't mean it's uncommon, is the same exact thing you were stating as you have no statistics on the matter. So don't go judging people saying they don't know what they are talking about when you have NO idea whatsoever where my knowledge ends and what kind of experience I have.

Why has this turned into a debate on which file is more popular? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. And now you're questioning my knowledge of the industry? Just becuase you haven't worked with a png file, doesn't negate the fact that png files are extremely common in graphic design industry. What I'm I basing this on? Precisely 10 years of design experience, both as a freelancer as well as working for an agency. Are photoshop (psd) files more common? Sure they are. Does that mean that Adobe fireworks is a rare breed? Don't be ridiculous. It's extremely common, and as I've said before, I suggest that you do your research on the growing use of PNG files, and why it's increasing. You can start by viewing this thread.

Just in case the irreverent posts made on this thread have confused anyone interested, there are ZERO downsides to purchasing this design as a PNG. The posts you see here are from individuals who are choosing to post their opinion as to which program they prefer to design/code in. This design can be coded just as easily as a PSD file. 99% of all reputable professional coding companies will accept a png file, as will countless freelancers.

If I sound curt, it's for right reason. Opinions are not to be posted within the marketplace.

06-09-2009, 06:39 AM

Old

I have no idea what I am talking about? You have on idea who I am, what my knowledge is, and who I have worked with. I never questioned your knowledge in the industry I simply stated that I don't know where your getting this information from. And you saying that Just because I have worked with it doesn't mean it's uncommon, is the same exact thing you were stating as you have no statistics on the matter. So don't go judging people saying they don't know what they are talking about when you have NO idea whatsoever where my knowledge ends and what kind of experience I have.

No need to get your feathers ruffled. I simply stated that just because you haven't personally worked with layered png files, doesn't mean they are not a common format for web design. Regardless of your experience, you cannot argue that layered png files are not a common file used in web design.

Are psd's more common in the industry? Yes, and I never stated they weren't. However, that doesn't imply that layered png's are these "mysterious" and "rare" files that no one ever uses, as you clearly stated. That couldn't be farther than the truth, otherwise Fireworks wouldn't be Adobe's #3 best selling product. Web designers utilize fireworks not only for it's reputation to produce superior images, but also because of it's layering capabilities. Anyone who's ever used fireworks knows that it's #1 alternative to Photoshop. So it should be clear to you by now that png's are extremely common, not only for non-layered images, but for layered images as well. People who say that Adobe fireworks and layered png's aren't common in the web design industry is just ridiculous. In fact, it's become such a popular program to use in web design, that Adobe has recently developed an internal CSS export feature to slice and dice the images to full code. This argument is becoming like PC users vs the Mac users, and it's just absurd.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >