Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1091 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Can anyone be a coder?

Thread title: Can anyone be a coder?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
03-11-2005, 06:55 PM
FiveInteractive is offline FiveInteractive
Expertise:
Software:

FiveInteractive is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to FiveInteractive Send a message via MSN to FiveInteractive

Old  Can anyone be a coder?

What are your thoughts guys?
Can anyone take the time to learn to code and pick it up?
OR do you believe only certain people have the mindset skills to learn programming languages to a good extent?
I am not sure on the subject, I have studied programming for about 6 months now, and I seem to be picking it up fairly well.
But do you think people are divided between Designer and Programmer, or they can learn to program if they setr their mind to it?
Because as opposed to Design, it doesn't actually take a great deal of creativity, just to an extent, logic.

03-11-2005, 07:45 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I think you're basically born with it. You're either a designer or programmer, i'm yet to meet anyone very experienced in both fields. Sure, some great designers can code but they can't code to high standards or they only have minimal knowledge on html/css.

It's a mindset, it's a way of thinking. Programmers are logical people and they enjoy solving problems and this is why they do it. Designers like creating their own work and get enjoyment from seeing what they develop. Meh, just my two cents!

03-11-2005, 09:05 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

yes anybody can be a coder. it will come easier to some than others, but there's no mystical boundry preventing sombody from doing it. i picked up html when ifirst strated using it fairly easy, and i'm looking at people in my html class this semtester going crosseyed from learning how to contruct a table. => they're simply not picking up the syntax as clearly as i did and all the characters confuse them. show them a doctype and they think it's latin. it's just a matter of exposure and will power.

Originally Posted by robson
I think you're basically born with it. You're either a designer or programmer, i'm yet to meet anyone very experienced in both fields. Sure, some great designers can code but they can't code to high standards or they only have minimal knowledge on html/css.
i'm going to have to sit down and have a long talk with you then, because i don't like your choice of words. i can design and code to a high standard and my knowleadge base is far from minimal when it comes to design or programming.

any idiot can learn to program something, it's layout a set of instructions. some will have better methods than others, but the end result is still the same. if you have the creativity for design, you should easily be able to construct and end result and figure out the steps to achieve it.

03-11-2005, 09:14 PM
FiveInteractive is offline FiveInteractive
Expertise:
Software:

FiveInteractive is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to FiveInteractive Send a message via MSN to FiveInteractive

Old

Thanks for that Derek, that was kinda the answer I was looking for

03-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

OR do you believe only certain people have the mindset skills to learn programming languages to a good extent?
This is what I was refering to with my response. Yes, anyone can program and design, but i've only met a few people who can actually code to high standards (Not just html, i'm talking php/mysql/c++) and design as well!

The majority of people i've met do either one or the other, sure there are exceptions..but even with the minority those who do design aren't nearly as good as they are at programming. It's the way you approach a task, design requires you to be creative, programming requires logic. I'm not really talking about html at all since that's not programming.

03-11-2005, 09:29 PM
opserty is offline opserty
Expertise:
Software:

opserty is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to opserty

Old

Im don't I think its like playing sport, you can learn every trick, tactic and skill in the book but you've got to have talent to blend it fluently and know when to use it. Personally I could code for life, but im to lazy, and can't be botherd to learn the languages. To tell you the truth, I can edit html and all that but I've never botherd to learn a lot of the tags and other things. Same with php I can use database to echo stuff back but I never actaully learned what you can do with it if you can. I can code but my codes arn't the best, fastest/shortest. I think that makes a difference between a good programmer and a bad one.

Hope some of that was relevant.

03-11-2005, 09:46 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
This is what I was refering to with my response. Yes, anyone can program and design, but i've only met a few people who can actually code to high standards (Not just html, i'm talking php/mysql/c++) and design as well!
i rest by my previous repsonse. i wasn't limiting myself just to html and simple layout design. i may be one of the few, but i have a good grasp on photoshop and interface design as well as client and serverside coding - at the moment i just know (x)html, css, some javascript and php/MySQL =>but that's just right now, i plan on expanding into new languages and databse systems (on and off the web) i just did the smart thing and started with the easy ones. c++ would be on my list of things to do if i had any use for it.

programming requires logic - the creativty from design gives one the ability to apply said logic to solutions => the reason why you're apply the logic. in the real world it's rare to both outline and design what is to be built (even software design not just graphics) and then do the mechanics to make it. in most cases the project manager defines what it to be built (creative work) and the programmers build to the given insturctions. it's still entirely possible to do both, it's just easier to stick to one.

the same "logic" applies to design. the design/project manager outlines what is to be built => heade here with child in corner, gel looking menu here + gloss effect . . etc. the graphic designer just puts to and two together and makes it. it's just like writing the function to carry out the command.

everything is creative and logical @ the same time. some just dont' see it as easily as others. i think it's like writing music. writing music is a lot harder then playing music, but it's still entirely possible for one to write it and play it.

03-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

There is a big difference between being logical and creative though. Design and programming are really two seperate things, html shouldn't even be involved in this discussion. I'm mainly refering to c++/vb etc. People who are exceptional at that look at design in a different way and vice versa and that's why the two generally speaking don't go hand in hand.

03-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Any idiot can (given time) learn to program/code. However, that doesn't make them a coder. I'd like to see anyone who doesn't have either a naturally logical method of thinking, or hasn't worked for years developing that mindset, to become a coder. A real coder, not just a hobbyist in their spare time. The same could be said about design.

03-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Well said Salathe, I couldn't seem to get it out lol.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >