Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1147 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

TF development in 2006

Thread title: TF development in 2006
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 >
01-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old  TF development in 2006

Hi All,

This is a thread for all your thoughts as to features and changes you would like to see implemented on TF to make it one of the best webmaster / webdesign sites on the internet.

So come on tell us what you would like to see TF have in 2006 - blogs ?, Articles?, Webmaster Tools?

If you know of anything that would make this site great then post it here.

The most helpful thing you could provide is a reference to your idea - eg if you like how the blogs work on a site post the link, or if you know of a great script that we could use or set of webmaster tool then post as much info as you can.

We will collate all this info in about a month and then take the best ideas work on an action plan as to what we can do and when.

Thanks for your help.

01-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Zane is offline Zane
Expertise:
Software:

Zane is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Zane

Old

keep up good articles

perhaps reward good members with tf blogs

upgrade vb to 3.5.2

buy vbseo

01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Gethin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gethin

Old

First of all upgrade VB

Then get a great designer to make you a original skin that is unique and different to all the other forums out there, something really proffessional!
Also would be great if the new skin utilizes any new features you add to TF.

I'd like to see staff blogs...

01-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

I think The Marketplace would be a great way to make TF really stand out from everywhere else. TalkFreelance was quite cleverly set-up as not just your standerd web design forum but as a forum dedicated to actual freelancers, there's a fine differance but it's an important one and one where TF can really take off from.

Improving the market place and prvoding more things to help freelancers in generall is what i think can make TalkFreelance even better and is what i think was the initial idea behind the whole community. I guess as owner coming up with new and inniotive ideas as how to improve the marketplace and provide an even better service for freelancers is the job you have to do, personally i can't think of ways to achieve this but i deffinately think this needs to remain the focus.

I know thats not really helping much, stating the obvious really, but any new ways to help people working freelance (and people wanting to start out) would be a great and very welcomed addition.

01-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Expertise:
Software:

Andy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Andy

Old

some sort of sold/found feature for the market place. So if the item is sold or a person for the job has been found it is clear.

also maybe in the profile area we could add if we have items for sale and then links are provided with a description

01-23-2006, 07:11 PM
jared is offline jared
Expertise:
Software:

jared is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jared Send a message via Skype™ to jared

Old

I think TF is a great place. The people make or break the forums but other qualities/features certainly help .

Some things I think might be beneficial:

1. New design. I think TF's design is great. However, I think there are some issues. Not a fan of the fixed width. I think it is easier on the eyes not to have everything bunched up and I find it easier to read other vb forums that are not limited to XXX width. Although I must say TF has implemented it the best and it does look nice. Originally I can see how it was beneficial. The XXXpx width allows the site to seem more "full". So as the site is getting started off and has less content, the fixed width makes the forum seem more active by keeping all the content in a smaller space. However, I think TF is getting big enough now where this isn't an issue.

I could go either way on the colors. I think the colors work great for the site but are not near as unique as they use to be. TF was one of the "more original" sites to use the light green/blue combo but unfortuantly desingners these days use and abuse those colors like a red headed step child.

I like the front page (also have the same issue of many people ripping the exact design lately), but it would be cool to have the frontpage have info on it other than just the forum itself. Maybe a block for "member of the week". Each week a different member is chosen with short writeup/bio on a member with a picture. Doesn't have to be some "great honor", just to get to know the community better. Also maybe some TF news or the previously mentioned articles. Really just little features to mix things up. Personally I would just like to see a front page that offered so much more than just a "forum". If I wanted to go straight to the forums then I could do that as well. www.talkfreelance.com/forums, problem solved :P

2. vb upgrade would be nice although I think to the majority of people it really doesn't make much of a difference. I know that is on the TF "list to do" anyways.

3. more options. I think periodically new features/hacks keep people wanting more. One of the old forums I go on had a 'thing' where about every 1 or 2 months they would install a mod/hack/feature to the forums. Usually nothing major, but it was just enough to keep people loving it. Sometimes they would take suggestions and other times they would just pick something. Either way it just kept things interesting. An option I would like to see would possible more member options. More profile features, maybe even user galleries. I love forums that give the users lots of "toys" to mess with.

4. The face. The big grin face has to be my favorite smiley of all times!

5. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple new sections. Maybe a 'hardware' section or something of that nature. I like getting in discussions like "what should my new computer be", "how to setup RAID0", or "what laptop PWNZZ" etc. However, I often don't venture into the off topic area.

I will brain storm and see if I can come up with some other suggestions. TF has been great so far and I am sure it will only get better. Robson seems to have a knack (sp?) for business so I'm sure things will evolve great.

Cheers

edit: didn't realize BigZee is the new owner! Opps! Congrats Z

01-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old

Good suggestions guys - keep them coming.

01-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Give up the silly notion of only being a "web design & webmaster" forum. Remember, we're TalkFreelance not TalkWebDesignAndWebmastering.
  • Blogs, no.
  • Articles, not a dedicated section: keep what we have in the forums.
  • Webmaster tools, no. Freelancer tools, maybe.
  • New skin, no.
  • [SOLD] feature for sales, yes.
  • vBulletin upgrade, yes - if only for improved security (and a bit more bloat).

My suggestion, KISS. I'm sure you know what that means.

Cheerio,
Salathe

01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
jared is offline jared
Expertise:
Software:

jared is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jared Send a message via Skype™ to jared

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe
Give up the silly notion of only being a "web design & webmaster" forum. Remember, we're TalkFreelance not TalkWebDesignAndWebmastering.
  • Blogs, no.
  • Articles, not a dedicated section: keep what we have in the forums.
  • Webmaster tools, no. Freelancer tools, maybe.
  • New skin, no.
  • [SOLD] feature for sales, yes.
  • vBulletin upgrade, yes - if only for improved security (and a bit more bloat).

My suggestion, KISS. I'm sure you know what that means.

Cheerio,
Salathe
So basically you are suggestion little/no change? I think that is part of the whole reason Robson passed on the site was to grow and develop the site further, into more than just a simple forum.

I think web design is a big part of Freelancing don't you?

I'm confused as to what TalkFreelance should be in your eyes. Would you to elaborate? I am just curious of your view

01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Techno is offline Techno
Expertise:
Software:

Techno is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by FATAL
upgrade vb to 3.5.2
vBulletin 3.5.3 is the newest vBulletin... Just to keep you up to date!

What do I think the forum should have? Well for a start, TalkFreelance could do with some of the odd jobs we have being promised to be completed actually completed. Firstly, lets get a smiley then get rid of the :reindeer: from the smileys box, then fix all the problems with the boxes on the skin. Get the current forum completed well before adding more

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 >