Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1194 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Html5

Thread title: Html5
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
05-30-2011, 10:19 AM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old  Html5

Hey

Anybody here using HTML5 now then? I've been experimenting with it for a few weeks now in full.

I'm really enjoying some of the new structural elements. It just feels so better thought out mark-up now than ever before, and noticeable, in my opinion.

So glad they depreciated a few of the older tags. Long time coming..

I just finished reading the HTML5 For Web Designers. It's a good read. Short and simple book on some of the new stuff and timeline of mark-up.

Next will be the CSS3 For Web Designers book. I'll leave that to another thread.

So, my question is, was, will be.. Is anyone using HTML5? And if so, what are your thoughts..?

05-30-2011, 02:09 PM
c69 is offline c69
Expertise:
Software:

c69 is on a distinguished road

Old

New structural elements are useless crap.

Just use "other cool features" like canvas, webStorage, geoLocation - when you feel its appropriate and can give you a competitive advantage.

But html5 parsing rules and new structural elements are not important at all. Same with now obsoleted stuff, which nobody [good] used anyway.

05-30-2011, 04:49 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

The structural elements aren't for the structure on how it looks, but more behind the importance of what certain areas are in the page.

I think it's good way to structure the mark-up regardless of what is what. It just keeps things organised.

I disagree with anybody good comment. HTML5 was drafted and is utilised by some of the leading web designers in our field.

06-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Kinetic is offline Kinetic
Software:

Kinetic is on a distinguished road

Old

And what about HTML 5 and old browsers like ie7/8 how will page be displayed in such browsers?

06-10-2011, 08:03 AM
krymson is offline krymson
Expertise: SEO, Design, Programming
Software: Dreamweaver & Notepad++

krymson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to krymson

Old

Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
And what about HTML 5 and old browsers like ie7/8 how will page be displayed in such browsers?
with any new new mark up language there are going to be a lot of browser compatibility issues in the beginning. I do code in css3 and html5 but only to test and play with because no matter what right now it's not really worth coding in html5 as for many IE users that dont update their browsers and they don't get to experience new features. So for right now it's better to stick to xhtml and css, some css3 is acceptable so those people that DO have updated browsers can see the rounded corners and the shadow text and div shadows.

07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Paweł is offline Paweł
Software:

Paweł is on a distinguished road

Old

You can use JS to force IE render new tags like a divs. For a month, I use HTML5 doctype for each project.

07-30-2011, 07:53 AM
TwinUpload is offline TwinUpload
Expertise: seo
Software: firefox

TwinUpload is on a distinguished road

Old

well html 5 having so many new features like the color codes and styles i love this one

08-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Jake B is offline Jake B
Expertise: Coder
Software: Sublime Text, Google Chrome

Jake B is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Jake B

Old

The entire spec is pretty awesome, I enjoy all of these new features and it really does give us developers a lot more to work with. Unfortunately most of these features aren't supported by most browsers, but if you need to Do note that localstorage and most of the "features" are actually JavaScript, as HTML5 is just the whole package. If you need to use HTML5 elements (which isn't something I'd waste my time converting for), make sure to use html5shiv, or even better, Modernizr.

You might be interested in the Adobe Expressive Web page

08-04-2011, 07:56 PM
biniar is offline biniar
Expertise:
Software:

biniar is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to biniar Send a message via AIM to biniar Send a message via MSN to biniar Send a message via Yahoo to biniar Send a message via Skype™ to biniar

Old  my two cents

One feature I am excited to start using is border-radius with CSS3, not of any importance but highly awaited! The new html5 doctype declaration is so much more simple to work with too. Personally I prefer a less dependent upon other services approach to my work unless otherwise specified by the clients requests. However as Jake B mentioned... html5shiv and Modernizr are good tools to get started with html5.

It's still great to see designers and developers from all over the world making good use of the new features included.

That Adobe Expressive Engine Web looks very resourceful, much appreciated!

08-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Hqtitan is offline Hqtitan
Software:

Hqtitan is on a distinguished road

Old

HTML5 looks pretty cool, from what I can tell. I haven't had a chance to work with it yet, but I'm planning on building a portfolio site as soon as I finish my current project. That should give me a chance to experiment with HTML5 and CSS3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >