Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1553 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Any good small webhosts?

Thread title: Any good small webhosts?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
06-12-2011, 09:39 AM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old  Any good small webhosts?

Hey

Are there any small ran webhosting companies by anybody on these forums anymore?

What is your guys opinions on webhosts when it comes to large scale, or low budgeted webhosting companies?

Personally, I've always been one to fund smaller web hosting companies, as we're all involved in freelancing, and I'd just like to help someone out by helping make their businesses grow..

Does this bother you? Aslong as there is reliability, and good support, if you're a small host, that'll be your focus most likely.

Regards,
Jamie

06-12-2011, 11:21 AM
krymson is offline krymson
Expertise: SEO, Design, Programming
Software: Dreamweaver & Notepad++

krymson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to krymson

Old

With my web design services i run a small web hosting business in the background to host my clients. I pay like $7 a month for a reseller account and charge my clients $20 for hosting and unlimited monthly upkeep and updating.

I used to work for HostGator so I learned th ins and out of cPanel and I love it and its all i use. havent had anyone ask me just to host their site but if they did i would charge $5 a month to host and provide hosting support which i think is reasonable.

06-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Nowadays one individual can run a hosting company and manage 100+ clients all by himself, so where do we draw the line of a small company being small?

The problem with very small companies (1-2 person operation) is in speed of technical support you are receiving. If the server goes down and all 100 clients send in a support ticket, how efficient can that person really be in responding? With larger companies, you have an infrastructure with more personnel with well defined tasks, who can be a lot more accommodating during the worst times of a hosting provider.

In the world of web hosting where customer support is the ONLY differentiation factor between firms, being able to be big enough to serve all customers efficiently is what essentially will make those customers stay.

06-13-2011, 07:36 AM
krymson is offline krymson
Expertise: SEO, Design, Programming
Software: Dreamweaver & Notepad++

krymson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to krymson

Old

If you're using a reseller account then you just go to your reselling providor and send a mass email blast to your clients stating the the issue is in the process of being resolved

06-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I'm a business, not a charity and the same goes for the webhosts. Are they going to give me business because I am small? Go with whoever can provide you with what you need. As far as budget hosts go, they are all the same except that small ones are likely to disappear with all your money.

I remember there were a few members here who owned hosts, one in particular was very vocal about caring about service and the customer and how how he was there for the long haul. His host was sold within a year of that and doesn't exist today (~2.5 years after the sale). Don't buy in to community members running the best hosts.

While I have nothing against small hosts, they are in general incapable of providing the service and reliability that larger hosts are. This doesnt mean that larger hosts will, most of the big names are horrid in the field of service. The host I'm with owns their own data center's so they are in control of what happens. Reseller hosts (the majority of those out there) are at the mercy of their reseller, often one of those large unreliable companies.

06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
carolina is offline carolina
Software:

carolina is on a distinguished road

Old

you can try site5 as they best in term of providing small business website hosting and have good customer support as well.

06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
SceneGroup is offline SceneGroup
Software:

SceneGroup is on a distinguished road

Old

In general for freelancers and others it can be easier to form personal contacts with small or medium sized hosting companies vs. large companies where you may sometimes struggle to get to talk with someone who is in charge of things or who has the authority to make decisions. What Im referring to is the "canned" responses everyone has came across to when dealing with some companies.

I believe especially web designers who bring a lot of business to a hosting company (and possibly vice versa) can benefit from good personal contacts with the hosting provider.

One thing I would make sure though is to be dealing with a real hosting provider with real interest and focus in web hosting. Sometimes it's shocking to see how many resell-based providers there are who are ready to sell their customers overnight when they get another day time job or are busy in school. Sometimes there isn't even a registered business behind. Naturally, not all resellers are "bad", there are many good ones as well with serious business approach.

07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
HostColor is offline HostColor
Software:

HostColor is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to HostColor Send a message via Skype™ to HostColor

Old

Many web designers and freelancers who have 20 + customers use Reseller Accounts, VPS or dedicated servers to host their own customers. If this works for one, that's fine. If I was a designer I'd wouldn't bother myself to host my customer's websites and to get myself involved in providing customer support for things which a web hosting provider would do.

I know some guys use to make additional money out of hosting their own customers, but if one calculates the lost of time, they'd outsource this and would focus on web design and development.

As far as for the smaller and bigger, I'd say that anyone who;s working hard and could prove the company's reliability deserves support should have a good business.

07-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Aldricjosi is offline Aldricjosi
Software:

Aldricjosi is on a distinguished road

Old

Free Web hosting services have grown very popular among various businesses. But this free hosting service not reliable for a long term aspect this is the main doubt which is created in clients' minds. But you just search on internet and try to find out best company.

07-14-2011, 06:52 AM
pacifich is offline pacifich
Software:

pacifich is on a distinguished road

Old

I believe that you can also look at web hosting offers section here to consider many small web hosts offering attractive hosting deals.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >