Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 833 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming :

sharepoint as a CMS? any experience

Thread title: sharepoint as a CMS? any experience
07-27-2011, 03:00 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old  sharepoint as a CMS? any experience

alright TF, i have to perform a web audit for a big client at work as to why they're experiencing the issues they are and possible solutions to rectify them. according to their brief they have used microsoft sharepoint as their CMS and i'm limited to its capabilities.

my initial response is that they shouldn't have used SP as their cms, but given they've lready launched it i feel that is just a waste of time - i will bring it up nonetheless.

today i will be exploring reasons to, and reasons to not use sharepoint as a public facing CMS, however given my experience with sharepoint is limited to only a few months a lot of my suspicions are purely speculative and i'm curious if anyone here has ever encountered a similar situation and may be able to point me in the right direction before i waste 3 hours googling only to end up on microsoft's biased microsite about why sharepoint should be used - it has advtantages, i won't just slander it without cause, but i need to do a true cost/benefit comparison and i know i won't find that from M$.

thanks.

07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

The composition of your message makes it pretty clear that you are looking for reasons against sharepoint but want some justification before saying what you already know. Microsoft doesn't own the internet, I'd say that the majority of blogs out there are predisposed against Microsoft because its popular. Go on Google before asking on forums, the first few results for "sharepoint as a cms" talk about some of its issues and certainly aren't "Microsoft's biased sites"

07-28-2011, 12:28 AM
m2weblogs is offline m2weblogs
Software:

m2weblogs is on a distinguished road

Old

Stick with tested ones... That are SEO friendly and optimized ! With regular updates!

07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
The composition of your message makes it pretty clear that you are looking for reasons against sharepoint but want some justification before saying what you already know. Microsoft doesn't own the internet, I'd say that the majority of blogs out there are predisposed against Microsoft because its popular. Go on Google before asking on forums, the first few results for "sharepoint as a cms" talk about some of its issues and certainly aren't "Microsoft's biased sites"
i can speculate reasons not to use sharepoint as a public facing cms, but my experience with it is limited, therefore the support for my arguments will be just as limited.

if i return to the client and my recommendation is that the last 3 months and (tens of) thousands of dollars spent making a public facing sharepoint site were a waste and should actually drop it and start over because the issues they are experience can't be fixed within the SP framework, i will need a lot more than a good/bad comparison chart of sharepoint vs other cms platforms (which were never specified, so i have no proof they're much better, or could even recommend one if that were the case).

forgive me if i sound bitter, normally i would agree, i know enough to google myself before asking for help. however, since my research time is limited i simply asked if anyone had ever experienced this debate previously and may be able to point me towards some useful information, before i spent my whole alloted time sifting through pointless marketing material about how sharepoint could be used as a cms, or debates about sharepoint vs another cms i don't want to use, and i'm still as uninformed as i was when i started.

i came up with 3 pages of faults sharepoint has caused to this website. theoretically, i know how to fix them all. the trick is can sharepoint do what's necessary to fix them, and if not, are they worth scrapping it for? that's where i will need details on sp capabilities from someone who's tried to deal with them previously, either from a public article, or someone just sharing their insights.

07-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Old

I'm going to be meeting with a friend this week who is a sharepoint consultant, I'll ask him what he thinks.

08-14-2011, 04:09 AM
ablaye is offline ablaye
Software:

ablaye is on a distinguished road

Old

This is the first time I hear about Sharepoint being used as a CMS.
Sharepoint is a collaboration software and a CMS is a content management system. Two different animals!

08-14-2011, 04:34 AM

Old

Sorry for the long delay, never got to meet with that friend until recently. He said that Sharepoint is generally not a good idea to do as a web facing CMS, it has some draws but it is very expensive to maintain. Ferrari for instance uses Sharepoint as their CMS but they have a large amount of resources going towards it.

08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

i met with the client (they're a big firm, so they have plenty of resource to put at sharepoint). there's no way i'm going to win a debate on changing the CMS. it's too integrated into everything else, which i believe is what drew them to it in the first place, and not actual ease of use. i also suspect their seo firm will lose their minds if i try to implement a brand new system and url structure.

what i walked away with was a sense that i could convince them to filter everything through a single source so content creation is being done by someone who understands the system, how it's limited and hopefully i can work with the seo firm to at least rearrange things so it can be used.