Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1687 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Freelance Questions

Thread title: Freelance Questions
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
10-10-2005, 06:53 AM
illusion is offline illusion
Software:

illusion is on a distinguished road

Old  Freelance Questions

Well I am from Australia and I want to start a web design business. Currently I cannot buy an ABN so I am going to use my father's ABN. But I have a few questions I would like to ask some freelancers who know there stuff.

1. Do I, being a young age, have to suffer from taxes and things of the kind. I think there is a price limit to it but I am not sure.

2. My dad has volunteered to talk to the clients and then relay the information to me (because people won't buy from a 14 year old), but how do I work out prices? Do I get Dad to quote them and then he pays me as a sub contractor or what? Also what are some prices to quote?

Thanks for answering these questions, also I am starting a business because I have a lot of time on my hands and I would like to do something worth while and I love webdesign

Regards
Illusion

10-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Sketch is offline Sketch
Expertise:
Software:

Sketch is on a distinguished road

Old

illusion,

I'm also a freelancer in Australia, I recently got an ABN which is for free, I'm not sure if you have to be over 18 or anything for them, but they don't cost you anything at all.

1. As far as I am aware there is no price limit, the more you earn the more your taxes will go up.
I think there is a $4k tax threshold, so if you earn less than that amount per year you don't have to pay taxes, but I'm not sure if that applies to someone who is trying to run a business, the threshold may only apply for people who have part time jobs at McDonalds or something.

2. With prices, the way I do it is work out how long something is going to take me, 5 hours, 10 hours ect. Then I choose my hourly rate $20 an hour, $30 an hour ect.
I put them together, so 10 hours at $10 an hour, it will cost the client $100.

Hope that helps.

10-10-2005, 07:44 AM
projectproofing is offline projectproofing
Expertise:
Software:

projectproofing is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to projectproofing

Old

No idea on the legal side of it for your country, but definitely set a per hour or per page price for your design based on your skill level.

I charge between $35 (Static) to $50 (dynamic) an hour with an 8 hour deposit upfront.

Don't charge too little because it shows lack of belief in yourself (and ruins the market), but don't charge too much. Check into other's price ranges in your skill level. (whether you design static only site or dynamic, or if you can do flash).

Give you dad your pricing and let him quote clients.

10-12-2005, 07:11 AM
illusion is offline illusion
Software:

illusion is on a distinguished road

Old

Well I do not want to lie so saying that I am a professional will be a bit of a lie because I am not a professional just a kid wanting to learn. So I was going to ask for $300 a website. Once I have enought I might look into training and ABN (even though it is free) and anything else

10-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Sketch is offline Sketch
Expertise:
Software:

Sketch is on a distinguished road

Old

Best of luck ;-) Hope you learn a lot and make lots of money.

10-16-2005, 11:55 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I wouldn't charge by the hour because you're too young and still learning. A site might take you alot longer to create than it's actually worth (if you know what I mean). Set prices are good in this situation, also there is no way you need to pay taxes at 14.

01-09-2006, 11:22 AM
jono1 is offline jono1
Expertise:
Software:

jono1 is on a distinguished road

Old

Just to revive a long-dead thread, in case illusion is still interested:
The legal age for employment in Australia is 14 and 9 months. As you're 15 now that obviously applies to you.
The tax threshold is $6000/year. As long as you're earning that or more, no matter how old you are (over the legal age) you pay tax on that.

That said I think going into business for yourself at such an early age is a bad idea. Sure you can go through your dad but if a client finds out you're deceiving them, that's your reputation gone down the drain.

01-09-2006, 09:44 PM
itaca is offline itaca
Expertise:
Software:

itaca is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to itaca Send a message via MSN to itaca

Old

I can't help you with the legal issue since I haven't even been in your country. I would not charge an hourly rate, because of your age I am assuming that you are still learning.

When you get a client talk to them about how much work it is.
Give them a price and if the don't want to pay that price go lower or forget it but know that you might learn something usefull and still get a buck or 2 for it. And you the lesson that you might learn won't give you any money if you don't get the job.

And I still doubt that anybody will give 15$ an hour to you at your age. If you get people to give you this then by all means go for it.

This is just my 2 cents

01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

age means nothing if he can back up his price. experience is what people pay for.

01-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Derek, clients pay for you meeting their needs. Experience has nothing to do with it, as you can add value to anything, if you know how. I have secured several clients without them even seeing my portfolio. I surpass all their requirements at every stage of the project.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >