Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 970 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

Programming as a career?

Thread title: Programming as a career?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
06-29-2005, 07:20 AM
Imagenesis is offline Imagenesis
Software:

Imagenesis is on a distinguished road

Old

Yah um, offtopic, I'm not sure what you plan to accomplish by writing a OS, that is certainly not going to get you money. Let's see one college kid's OS vs. Longhorn. I wonder who's is better. And building is really quite simple. What Youngcoder said.

06-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Mini-Os's are actually quite profitable in the area of repair tools.

06-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Offtopic is offline Offtopic
Expertise:
Software:

Offtopic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Offtopic Send a message via MSN to Offtopic

Old

Imagness. Look building a computer is simple. I want to design the way they look and stuff. There is a chance of that.

Regards,
Offtopic

06-29-2005, 02:27 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Offtopic, your name really makes sense here....the thread is about programming as a career not building computers

06-29-2005, 02:27 PM
launchcode is offline launchcode
Expertise:
Software:

launchcode is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to launchcode Send a message via MSN to launchcode

Old

There's room in the market for *anything* if you can do it well enough, no matter how many other people/companies are already doing it. If you want to go and design a new style PC case or OS then go for it. No reason why you shouldn't try.

t seems to me that if you are a freelancer you have a better chance earning a decent living with PHP/MySQL because the average small company looking for "e solutions/web site" don't care how you make it work. They just know they want a web site where they can sell/advertise their goods. So, you could do the work, find hosting, etc. for a smaller rate than it would take to do .NET.
This is very true. But it's not just small companies that use PHP. I finished a project a few weeks ago for BMW. It was 100% PHP/MySQL, interfaced directly with a massive printing company system for real-time print copy validation, etc. Earlier in the year I finished a project for a large tour operator in the UK, on-line holiday booking system, communicating via XML with their in-house servers. Millions of pounds worth of bookings going through it. 100% PHP and Postgres. I work freelance, from home. I'm not writing this to show off, I'm simply saying that don't think you'll never get large clients if you only use PHP - it's simply not true. The work is out there if you've the contacts to find it (and the skills to do it of course!)

06-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Offtopic is offline Offtopic
Expertise:
Software:

Offtopic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Offtopic Send a message via MSN to Offtopic

Old

Robson: Sorry, I will stop talking about it.

Launchcode: Thanks, Peped me back up .

Regards,
Offtopic

07-05-2005, 06:13 AM
staticT(3D) is offline staticT(3D)
Software:

staticT(3D) is on a distinguished road

Old

PHP is a very popular language for text/graphic based games. Outwar.com is probably one of the biggest and most rapid growing text based game using PHP out there. They rack in about $1000 a week from users buying points. There are currently offering a job for a new PHP designer...check it out if you're interested! Also, PHP and ASP/ASPX is very popular for Blog sites/shopping carts.

07-05-2005, 06:36 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by launchcode
This is very true. But it's not just small companies that use PHP. I finished a project a few weeks ago for BMW. It was 100% PHP/MySQL, interfaced directly with a massive printing company system for real-time print copy validation, etc. Earlier in the year I finished a project for a large tour operator in the UK, on-line holiday booking system, communicating via XML with their in-house servers. Millions of pounds worth of bookings going through it. 100% PHP and Postgres. I work freelance, from home. I'm not writing this to show off, I'm simply saying that don't think you'll never get large clients if you only use PHP - it's simply not true. The work is out there if you've the contacts to find it (and the skills to do it of course!)
No doubt, I agree, but you would probably agree smaller business are going to be seeking php/mysql solutions over java aplets and oracle most of the time, which I believe leads to the idea that php is a more "personal" language if that makes sense.

07-08-2005, 03:36 AM
alabasterlynch is offline alabasterlynch
Software:

alabasterlynch is on a distinguished road

Old

I personally think that the key of getting that "big" programming job in the states is by working more on the research side of programming. Once a technology becomes big, there will always be somone out there to do the job for pocket change.

07-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Travis is offline Travis
Software:

Travis is on a distinguished road

Old

I personally think that the key of getting that "big" programming job in the states is by working more on the research side of programming. Once a technology becomes big, there will always be somone out there to do the job for pocket change.
Exactly the reason why I want to get into the research side of things. People are already doing web programming for pocket change.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >