Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1566 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

Getting a few clients that don't want to pay much

Thread title: Getting a few clients that don't want to pay much
10-05-2011, 06:09 AM
emeyex is offline emeyex
Expertise: art and design
Software: Adobe CS5 programs

emeyex is on a distinguished road

Old  Getting a few clients that don't want to pay much

As some of you might know, I am a college student who is doing freelance graphic design on the side. After getting very useful advice from many of you on this forum I have been able to get a few responses from potential clients. Although I have had people interested in my services, I have not been able to land an actual job worth doing. My just recently I have had two clients that have wanted me to do a number of designs for them. One guy who wants to do finger skateboards wanted me to do about 12 designs for $40. Another lady who works with a T-shirt company wanted me to do 5 designs for around $50.

My dad was the one who told me that I should keep solid on the hours that I perfered to get paid for $8/hr and not to just take any job just because I want to get paid.

I do not have a job right now, and I am wondering what everyone elses opinions might be as far as doing designs for prices such as those. I am interested in adding more client work to my porfolio, but I do not want to build the reputation of being cheap. My time is important as I am a full time student. Is it likely that I will come across clients who will pay me a decent amount for my services? Because it seems like on Odesk, there are a lot of designers who will work for dirt cheap.

Here is a link to my website (DA)----------->http://emeyex.deviantart.com/

My portfolio-----http://emeyex.deviantart.com/gallery/

10-11-2011, 01:52 AM
UmbeeHosting is offline UmbeeHosting
Software:

UmbeeHosting is on a distinguished road

Old

It depends on how far you want to get into freelancing. If you are serious and wanted to get big in the future, you start small and work your way up. Build clients first who can attest to your work. Good luck.

10-11-2011, 06:01 PM
cpoalmighty is offline cpoalmighty
Expertise: Project Management / SEO
Software:

cpoalmighty is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to cpoalmighty

Old

At first, you may have to give free work or cheap work to gain the portfolio you want for yourself and your company. If you cant afford to do that then you need to simply design sites to prove your skills. Either way, if you dont do those things you will never gain any clients, respect or money because you wont have anything to prove your actual talents. I know its hard because you are a student but you need to make the sacrifice now to benefit yourself in the future. also, you should state before hand that you are doing it as a discount purely to demonstrate your skills and that your prices would raise in the next x days or x months

10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Theres starting off at a low price and getting scammed. $40 for 12 designs is a scam, $40 per design is a cheap price. Don't even dignify offers like those with a response, if they come to you offering that little they aren't going to offer a fair amount. If no one is coming to you with a decent price what you are offering may not be marketable (or at least not easily). Most designers I see making money do web design, not digital design (although some offer it on the side).

10-14-2011, 09:29 PM
emeyex is offline emeyex
Expertise: art and design
Software: Adobe CS5 programs

emeyex is on a distinguished road

Old

Thank you all. All your responses have contributed to my next couple steps