Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 500 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

Never Gonna Give You Up

Thread title: Never Gonna Give You Up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old  Never Gonna Give You Up

Howdy folks,

As many of you will be aware, the site has been temporarily closed "until Big Zee notices". The downtime has lasted for approximately 11 hours, less than other periods of downtime that we've had in past months. The cunningly astute will also have fathomed that the site is now open; however as far as I am aware, Big Zee (the owner of this site) did not notice (that means we chickened out).

Personally, and some of you may feel rightly so, I've received some messages off-site about the change—majority hateful and vulgar. It continues to surprise me that people are so willing to go out of their way to curse and moan, when they wouldn't go even half as far to say nice things.

Now on to why we (that's right, it was Jeff and I who did it—no-one else and certainly not this*) closed down the forum. As the song goes:
We're no strangers to love.
You know the rules and so do I.
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of.
You wouldn't get this from any other guy.
I love TalkFreelance, in a strange kind of way. It's not rational, putting in hours every day banning spammers, deleting posts, being nice to folks, being part of the (really, very small) community, etc.. All logical sense says that this place is a waste of time, even the owner cannot care to spend any time here and the number of really very rubbish posts (compared to quality discussion) has increased dramatically over time. Yet, I'm still here: the small moderating team is still here (thanks jm, Vizon!). We care.

Over a long time, we have had community members asking where the owner is (many don't even know who the owner is!). Everyone agrees, it's a crying shame that he isn't here. The staff will not push the site to what it can be (what it used to be, perhaps) without an active owner. Not that we're unwilling, just what is the point? There's a line I've been sitting on for a very long time: looking after the daily upkeep of the site (because, to the best of my knowledge no-one else would). Anything more has been off the books because, as I pointed out in a recent discussion, this isn't my yard to play around in. Without the yes/no from the bloke in charge, I just don't feel comfortable making any significant changes. Even the small changes, which perhaps people haven't noticed, I've deliberated over for some time.

This could go on for a long time, so perhaps it's better to wrap things up. The closure was simply a small effort to bring attention to the entire community's misgivings over Big Zee not being around: over not having an active site owner. Sure, we could've posted yet another ignored discussion topic, sent another ignored email, etc.. As far as I'm aware, even this message went ignored.

Now onto you. I'd like more input. People are generally much more vocal when there's something they're upset about than when there's something they're thankful for. I'd like to use that to my, our, advantage and hear what you all have to say on this topic of an absent owner, and perhaps what we could, should or just might do as a result (if nothing, that's fine too).

Regards,
Salathe

P.S. If you're thinking of replying just to flame, may I ask you in advance to stop and perhaps form a more constructive point of discussion. Thanks.